80/20 beef

609dean

Awards
Should I completly stay away from 80/20 beef. I kno I should jus choose a leaner ratio of beef but sometimes it's all thats in the house or it's so much cheaper nd it's all that I can affored haha. Sometimes what it comes down to is, either eat the 80/20 or jus don't eat any red meat at all

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I believe the USDA even approved a cheaper fattier form within the last 6 months of 73/27 i think. Dont quote me, but some fat helps and 80/20 can work especially if your draining away most of the fat. Its cheap, available, and easy to work with on flavor.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I prefer 93/7. Just enough fat to have good flavor. If I need some extra fat I throw on some natty PB.

Kleaver

Awards
I personally prefer the 90/10 or better of quality beef. Not really because I am concerned with the fat but because when I grill my burgers they shrink down to much with more fat. I get plenty of flavor from the seasoning that I add and the leaner meat cooks more consistently.

609dean

Awards
Do u think that when they shrink it's more protein thats being lost or more fat?

Kleaver

Awards
Its the fat melting off. The fatter or poorer quality meat the more they shrink. I have noticed that when I get meat from one particular large retail store that the meat may say 90/10 but they always shrink more than the others. Poor quality meat and or labeled incorrectly.

actionhero

actionhero

Awards
Its the fat melting off. The fatter or poorer quality meat the more they shrink. I have noticed that when I get meat from one particular large retail store that the meat may say 90/10 but they always shrink more than the others. Poor quality meat and or labeled incorrectly.
That's from them pumping it with a liquid filler. It's basically water draining away.

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
You can make 80/20 into ~96/4 by doing the rinse method. Cook the beef in about a 1/2 vegetable oil, pour into a strainer and dump boiling water over it. The fat cooks off and stays with the oil, since the oil is hydrophobic it washes off with the water. There is a Marc lobliner video on YouTube and the method is from some university Dr. Its pretty handy if you need protein and not fat for your macros.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You can make 80/20 into ~96/4 by doing the rinse method. Cook the beef in about a 1/2 vegetable oil, pour into a strainer and dump boiling water over it. The fat cooks off and stays with the oil, since the oil is hydrophobic it washes off with the water. There is a Marc lobliner video on YouTube and the method is from some university Dr. Its pretty handy if you need protein and not fat for your macros.
Interesting I have just enough time to try this

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Makes it taste and have the texture of rubber.

nikolce

nikolce

Awards
A little saturated fats don't hurt no one infact it increases test ;)

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love 80/20 for a bulk i swear since I started using 80/20 I'm able to add a lot more calories to my bulk that were impossible to reach before.