Protein Receptors: amino acids vs respective metabolites!!

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Hey brothers and sisters in iron(y)!

This question is a little intense, hopefully someone can answer it or at least share their OPINION with a fellow bro-theorist.

Anywho,

So, basically the idea behind taking particular amino acids in an empty stomach, such as DAA, is that your stomach only has so many receptors for amino acids and to illicit the full effects of individual ones, you need to let one amino acid get received by them (or the majority)... This is what i know/have read up on/learned in college bio 2.

My question is whether or not the receptors are actually responding to the metabolites, or if these metabolites are used or received in some other way- perhaps separate, more unique,
Receptors/enzymes/etc.

So, for example, would it be alright to take DAA with Agmatine being that it is a metabolite of arginine or would the effects of DAA be mitigated just as if I took it with, say, leucine?

Just trying to get a better understanding if the whole process.

Thanks!

trn450

trn450

Awards
The stomach doesn't absorb amino acids. It's the small intestine that does the lions share of digestion and absorption.

Amino acids also don't really get broken down into metabolites to any significant degree in the small intestine that I'm aware of because the enzymes present are proteases and brush border enzymes whose sole purpose is to reduce proteins into an absorbable amino acid form. From then, they're simply transported into enteric circulation.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking in your question, however.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
The stomach doesn't absorb amino acids. It's the small intestine that does the lions share of digestion and absorption.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking in your question, however.
Protese is in the stomach dude! My bad though, they are broken down via pepsin/pepsinogen/protease in the stomach and absorbed in the small intestine.

If your not sure what to answer read the hypothetical question :)

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Gonna take a lot more than a dose of DAA and arg to saturate your intestines amino acid transport abilities. Everything is dose dependent and 3-5g amino acid total is very small dose, relatively speaking.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Gonna take a lot more than a dose of DAA and arg to saturate your intestines amino acid transport abilities. Everything is dose dependent and 3-5g amino acid total is very small dose, relatively speaking.
So why us there a need to take DAA on an empty stomach/by itself? (Serious)

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've never seen any data that it is. I could speculate and say that a more acidic environment (which is what occurs on an empty stomach) would facilitate better absorption, but it could just be a matter of competitive inhibition or transport saturation in the presence of other proteinaceous foods.

Like I said, everything is dose dependent, and a 3-5g dose of amino acids on an empty stomach is a much smaller dose than 3-5g of amino acids plus an entire meals worth of protein.

trn450

trn450

Awards
Protese is in the stomach dude! My bad though, they are broken down via pepsin/pepsinogen/protease in the stomach and absorbed in the small intestine.

If your not sure what to answer read the hypothetical question :)
Yes, there is digestion that occurs in the stomach but I said "absorption" doesn't occur in the stomach ;-) And there is some digestion in the stomach, but like I said "the Lions share" of digestion still occurs in the small intestine.

I'll read the question again and try to contribute when I get a few minutes. :)