1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.01%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Soylent

Just saw this... And, wow, is the only thing that comes to mind.

It just sounds absolutely complete and utter crap. Like an MRE for "everybody" that would hit the nutritional needs of everyone.

Anyone's got any opinions on this? Seems like it would be great to have a diet dialed down to exactly what one would need without having to measure, but the pleasure of eating and I'm sure the cravings would suck.

What's everyone's thoughts? Newest scam out there?

Who Needs Food When You Have Soylent | Meal Replacement | LiveScience

Add up all the time and money that you've spent this month on food shopping for groceries, cooking, cleaning up, paying your grocery and restaurant bills and you might be surprised at how much of your life is eaten by food.
    One San Francisco Bay-area man has decided it's just not worth it. For the past month, Rob Rhinehart, a 24-year-oldsoftware engineer, has avoided all solid food. Instead, he's subsisting exclusively on a chemical concoction he brews in his kitchen.

The name of his potion? "Soylent."

Comparisons to the 1973 classic sci-fi film "Soylent Green" in which people survived on crackers made from human flesh are inevitable, but off-base. "My Soylent is human free," Rhinehart told
    Vice.

"In my own life, I resented the time, money and effort the purchase, preparation, consumption and clean-up of food was consuming," Rhinehart explains on his blog.

"I hypothesized that the body doesn't need food itself, merely the chemicals and elements it contains. So, I resolved to embark on an experiment," Rhinehart wrote. "What if I consumed only the raw ingredients the body uses for energy?" [The 7 Perfect Survival Foods]

To do so, Rhinehart turned his kitchen into a chemistry lab and whipped up his first batch of Soylent, a "thick, odorless, beige liquid" that included protein, carbohydrates, fats, fiber,vitamins and minerals such as potassium, iron and calcium.

The nearly 40 ingredients used to make Soylent aren't readily available at your corner market. Rhinehart adds nutrients including folate, lycopene and alpha-carotene, some of which he procured at laboratory supply stores.

But is Soylent a healthy replacement for a balanced, varied diet?

No, said Joy Dubost, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. "I don't think it's sustainable," Dubost told LiveScience. "You need a healthy eating plan for life."

A fundamental flaw in Rhinehart's plan is his assumption that the human body needs only chemicals and elements to survive. "He doesn't get into whole grains at all," Dubost said, adding that Soylent's fiber count (5 grams) may be inadequate. "Not all fibers are the same."

Aside from Soylent being too high in sodium (2.4 g) and too low in potassium (3.5 g), Dubost said it's important to remember that foods like fruits and vegetables have nutrients in proportions and amounts that work in synergy, making proper digestion and intake of critical nutrients easy.
    More importantly, the sheer monotony of drinking something like Soylent several times a day, for months on end, would turn off most people. Even healthy diets that are monotonous are difficult to adhere to, Dubost said.

"We have to remember food isn't just about nutrition. We do have a sensory experience with it," Dubost said, noting that there are feelings of satiety and pleasure that only come from a good meal.

Like most meal replacements, Soylent if consumed at all should only be used for a short time under the guidance of a
    doctor or nutritionist, Dubost said. But Soylent, like most fad diets and extreme eating plans, won't work for the long haul, she said: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.55%

you need the synergy that whole foods provide, imho. i think you lose a lot when you try to isolate certain nutrients and extract them. i am reading the book Superfoods right now and it explains this, and mentions some studies where they gave beta-carotene supplements to a group of people suffering from something (i forget what lol) expecting it to alleviate their symptoms or whatever, and it had the opposite effect and made it worse, while eating foods containing carotenoids had the opposite effect. this is why i try to limit my intake of supplements that are food derivatives. i don't think it's worth it in most instances, especially considering the high cost of supplements.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.9%

"Soylent green is made from humans!"
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.55%

mmmm....tasty humans
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.9%

My quote was off a bit.

http://youtu.be/8Sp-VFBbjpE
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.01%

Yeah, I'm not buying this specific product, but the concept seems "helpful".

It would be nice if there was a way to get exactly what you need as far as nutrients go in a day without having to actually count, weight, measure, etc, especially during a cut for instance. You eat this "crap" for 5 days and then have 2 "cheat" days when you're counting the macros.

Replacement there was that velocity diet, which was almost all liquids, but can see how that would become a problem as well. Nonetheless, a good concept to think about, wouldn't think it's far-fetched to have something like this in the future.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.38%

I just heard about this product in a magazine and had to look into it. Especially when I heard how cheap it was. I'm really curious if anyone has any experience with the stuff around here and how it affected their training