thoughts on paleo?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. thoughts on paleo?


    i have been eating mostly paleo. i try to eat more carbs on training days, however. lots of sweet potatoes and oatmeal or 5 grain hot cereal. i also eat a lot of fruit in the morning and afternoon. typically, a banana before and after working out, along with whatever other fruit i have in the house at the time. recently i have cheated a few times by eating builder's bars, and yesterday i drank a lowfat milk chug. but i have been pretty consistent in my paleo diet over the past few months, except for the occasional oatmeal/quinoa/5 grain. while paleo has definitely helped me shed fat, i wouldn't want to do it year-round because i think you need more carbs for consistent muscle growth.


    what do you think, friends?


  2. Steak is cow muscle and it is ~1/6 protein, ~1/6 fat and ~2/3s water. That will vary a bit depending on which cut you buy, but there's no carbs.

    There's also plenty of evidence that a diet deficient in animal products stunts both physical and mental growth significantly. Even in America studies done on IQ show that people who avoid animal products have lower IQs. Vegetarians do about the same as meat eaters because they still eat milk and eggs, and many of them fish, but vegans who avoid all animal products consistently come in about 10% lower than the average.

    Studies like this also show that carbs to not promote promote synthesis when sufficient protein is eaten.
    ajpendo.physiology.org/content/293/3/E833.abstract

    In short, carbs are an energy source, like creatine, so eating some carbs is good, but they aren't involved in the muscle building process. 50g is enough for most people, maybe 100g if you're an extremely active person who doesn't have a desk job. Eating an excessive amount of carbs will just bloat you up, mostly your gut.
    •   
       


  3. so, literally stupid vegetarians!

  4. I don't understand what is being asked in this thread? My thoughts on paleo is this, I like the idea of whole foods but I don't like the idea of no grains. Sounds like your not eating meat though and that is different from paleo.
    Follow me on my log to life and lift: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/229476-mtinsideouts-log-life.html

  5. oh, i eat a ton of meat, but limited grains.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by bossman523 View Post
    oh, i eat a ton of meat, but limited grains.
    Why not just follow a modified version of paleo if you want to eat grains? Plenty of people follow a modified paleo diet that includes quinoa, brown rice, oatmeal, etc... Personally I think it is a good diet but I like my bread and cookies to much to try it lol
    Follow me on my log to life and lift: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/229476-mtinsideouts-log-life.html

  7. that's pretty much what i'm doing, hence i said about 90% paleo

  8. oh, sorry. i said mostly paleo *oops

  9. Quote Originally Posted by bossman523 View Post
    i have been eating mostly paleo. i try to eat more carbs on training days, however. lots of sweet potatoes and oatmeal or 5 grain hot cereal. i also eat a lot of fruit in the morning and afternoon. typically, a banana before and after working out, along with whatever other fruit i have in the house at the time. recently i have cheated a few times by eating builder's bars, and yesterday i drank a lowfat milk chug. but i have been pretty consistent in my paleo diet over the past few months, except for the occasional oatmeal/quinoa/5 grain. while paleo has definitely helped me shed fat, i wouldn't want to do it year-round because i think you need more carbs for consistent muscle growth.

    what do you think, friends?
    I've been on paleo past 9 months and seen great results. As long as your fat intake is adequate you will keep seeing gains. I say stick with it

  10. cool, thank you. i'll stick with it at least thru the summer. then plan on bulking in the fall, so will have to re-assess at that point how i want to go about it.
    •   
       


  11. Quote Originally Posted by bossman523 View Post
    cool, thank you. i'll stick with it at least thru the summer. then plan on bulking in the fall, so will have to re-assess at that point how i want to go about it.
    Bulking on paleo is the best IMO, it's easy just eat hella almond butter lol. I went up to 206lbs on my paleo bulk

  12. i've actually been eating quite a bit of almond butter already, lol

  13. I eat a lot of carbs while still following Paleo. I'm not "strict" Paleo, so I eat stuff like white rice/potatoes, quinoa, lentils, and gluten free oats. I do not eat bread, pasta, or anything else with gluten in it. Fruits/sweet potatoes are also a part of my diet. I view Paleo as more of a template for what I should eat and what I should avoid (ie avoiding highly-processed foods and consuming whole, natural foods). If you look at my macros, though, I'm still eating more like I was when I was competing in figure - high protein, high/moderate carb, moderate/low fat. It's just what I prefer and what has given me the best results.
    HiTech Representative

  14. Perfect health diet is far more accomodating than strict Paleo, not to mention that strict Paleo, despite what most books say, are not followed today. Considering grains WERE cultivated in paleolithic eras (something they claim was not) however they were far less modified than the grains of today. Also consider that true Paleolithic era humans would have consumed the entire beast and not just the breast or rump steak but rather the liver, kidneys etc. and things like insects would have been consumed. Some Paleo diets do advocate for consumption of bone marrow and organs, but in most cases, people tend to avoid these recommendations.

    In short, the Paleo diets we consume today are not replicas of what was actually consumed and shouldn't really be marketed as such; but rather they should focus on key components such as avoiding processed foods etc and going back to the basics.

    But Paleo dieting is awesome.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Epolis13 View Post
    I eat a lot of carbs while still following Paleo. I'm not "strict" Paleo, so I eat stuff like white rice/potatoes, quinoa, lentils, and gluten free oats. I do not eat bread, pasta, or anything else with gluten in it. Fruits/sweet potatoes are also a part of my diet. I view Paleo as more of a template for what I should eat and what I should avoid (ie avoiding highly-processed foods and consuming whole, natural foods). If you look at my macros, though, I'm still eating more like I was when I was competing in figure - high protein, high/moderate carb, moderate/low fat. It's just what I prefer and what has given me the best results.
    I do the same thing and I feel much better as well.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    In short, the Paleo diets we consume today are not replicas of what was actually consumed and shouldn't really be marketed as such; but rather they should focus on key components such as avoiding processed foods etc and going back to the basics.
    This is so perfectly said.
    HiTech Representative

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    true Paleolithic era humans would have consumed the entire beast and not just the breast or rump steak but rather the liver, kidneys etc. and things like insects would have been consumed. Some Paleo diets do advocate for consumption of bone marrow and organs,
    Organs are where the nutrients are at!

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Epolis13 View Post
    I eat a lot of carbs while still following Paleo. I'm not "strict" Paleo, so I eat stuff like white rice/potatoes, quinoa, lentils, and gluten free oats. I do not eat bread, pasta, or anything else with gluten in it. Fruits/sweet potatoes are also a part of my diet. I view Paleo as more of a template for what I should eat and what I should avoid (ie avoiding highly-processed foods and consuming whole, natural foods). If you look at my macros, though, I'm still eating more like I was when I was competing in figure - high protein, high/moderate carb, moderate/low fat. It's just what I prefer and what has given me the best results.
    Sums it up really.

  19. I think what we should be asking ourselves is "is this beneficial to me or not?" and "will this have a negative impact on my health or goals?". As people who are looking for either results, good health or both I think it's wiser to assess if something is of use and whether it has a negative or positive impact short term and long term, and ultimately whether it is worth the risk if it does have a negative impact in order to accomplish a goal. We are, after all just a big sack of chemicals and strictly viewing diet from an anthropological or ancestral standpoint is moot, unless it is specifically drawing on biological evolutionary evidence that posits it is better we eat certain foods because we have superior adaption to those foods, and thus increase our overall performance as a species.

    I'm paleoesque but follow a more scientific/logic standpoint rather than being specifically 'religious' about my food choices. I think one of the best ways to find the right lifestyle is by food elimination, as each individual is just that; an individual. I do think some hard and fast rules are pretty obvious, and I think a good case that grains, especially wheat nowadays is just straight up **** for you. There is enough correlation to autoimmune diseases and a plethora of ailments that indicate it is a probable cause for these issues; whether you can let go of your hankering for wheat based **** is a different story. The thing is, wheat is not necessary for maximum performance or survival and seems to be a source of health problems for a vast majority of people, so it is not necessary in any way.

    As to carbohydrate ingestion for athletic performance, it is absolutely fine to consume only fats and proteins to perform. Gluconeogenesis still occurs regardless of carbohydrates and building muscle is still viable. The swelling in the muscle cell from carbohydrates comes from the replenishment of glycogen stores and not muscular growth, but it is a good psychological ploy. Play around and see what works for you best, but ultimately it can be done with or without carbohydrates, you just need to be keto-adapted and stay there if you want it to work efficiently. Again, I think this is just a learned behaviour "You need carbs to get jacked bro". It's either, or, I think. Try and be critical at all times, especially when it comes to nutrition.

    My two cents.

    Good luck with your future endeavors.

  20. Just to add to the conv, being a fat burner is much more beneficial from many standpoints than being sugar burner.
    Ex. some years ago I was basically a sugar burner and if someone told me I would eat just fat and protein in the future I would say they are crazy. Today, I primarely burn fat for energy and eat some carbs to add to my diet but what's important is I can go keto in no time if I so choose to only eat fat and protein. My body is that conditioned. I feel 100% better eating a few natural carbs and mostly fat and protein. Most importantly, my body fat dropped into single digits and my overall health has improved greatly. So, paleo at least is a good start to drop processed foods and eat more natural. After a while on this diet everyone can make diet adjustments to suit their needs.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    Just to add to the conv, being a fat burner is much more beneficial from many standpoints than being sugar burner.
    Ex. some years ago I was basically a sugar burner and if someone told me I would eat just fat and protein in the future I would say they are crazy. Today, I primarely burn fat for energy and eat some carbs to add to my diet but what's important is I can go keto in no time if I so choose to only eat fat and protein. My body is that conditioned. I feel 100% better eating a few natural carbs and mostly fat and protein. Most importantly, my body fat dropped into single digits and my overall health has improved greatly. So, paleo at least is a good start to drop processed foods and eat more natural. After a while on this diet everyone can make diet adjustments to suit their needs.
    That was out perfectly. Agree 100%

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Pypp View Post
    That was out perfectly. Agree 100%
    I can also attest to the fact that being a fat burner made me feel a ton better physically and mentally, although I do CKD on a 7 day a week stint. I enjoy the break mentally, not having to worry about carbohydrate intake for an evening; at other times I just stay keto.

  23. Reading the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf now.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Reading the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf now.
    It's a good read, actually. I usually show the first few chapters to my vegetarian friends
    HiTech Representative

  25. Quote Originally Posted by Epolis13

    It's a good read, actually. I usually show the first few chapters to my vegetarian friends
    Ya I am liking it so far. Still have a bit to read. Just read a few pages here and there right now.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Reading the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf now.
    Primal Blue Print, Mark Simmon and his website Marks Daily Apple are great resources as well.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  27. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat

    Primal Blue Print, Mark Simmon and his website Marks Daily Apple are great resources as well.
    Appreciate that. Basically like just getting the info portion from it. Got a diet I am doing now already. Kind of falls in line with Paleo.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Primal Blue Print, Mark Simmon and his website Marks Daily Apple are great resources as well.
    His approach is by far the best paleo variation ive seen
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  29. Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    Just to add to the conv, being a fat burner is much more beneficial from many standpoints than being sugar burner.
    Ex. some years ago I was basically a sugar burner and if someone told me I would eat just fat and protein in the future I would say they are crazy. Today, I primarely burn fat for energy and eat some carbs to add to my diet but what's important is I can go keto in no time if I so choose to only eat fat and protein. My body is that conditioned. I feel 100% better eating a few natural carbs and mostly fat and protein. Most importantly, my body fat dropped into single digits and my overall health has improved greatly. So, paleo at least is a good start to drop processed foods and eat more natural. After a while on this diet everyone can make diet adjustments to suit their needs.
    Interesting response, I'm a little like this too. Keto has been the best for me, or a very balanced diet with mostly veggies and protein with limited fruit and starches.

    Finding what works best for your body is key. What works for one person may not for the next.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by missesmonique View Post
    Interesting response, I'm a little like this too. Keto has been the best for me, or a very balanced diet with mostly veggies and protein with limited fruit and starches.

    Finding what works best for your body is key. What works for one person may not for the next.
    I found through trial and error that I really didnt need that many carbs. What it's interesting is that fat and carbs are just energy that gets broken down 2 different ways. As you said, what works for one person may not work for another is true, based on how well ppl's digestive and energy production is adapted to work on either energy source or perhaps both equally. This could be an adaptive trait, maybe disease or just genetics.
    Looking at native american indians they are terrible being sugar burners, as suppose to asian people who all eat rice all their life. I think there lays the secret is to find out what your body preffers in what quantities. Overall though, being a mainly fat burner is a much more beneficial trait even though carbs are ok in certain situations as an add on energy source if there is a large energy expandature.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. thoughts on clomid
    By julius kelp in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 07:20 PM
  2. Your guys thoughts on this
    By Kitchen Chemist in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
  3. My Thoughts on Meth 1-T Cycles
    By Skark in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 02:10 PM
  4. thoughts on SU usage at 7 weeks out/9% bf
    By PecSicle in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 02:45 AM
  5. Your thoughts on the Colorado Experiment
    By ex_banana-eater in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Log in
Log in