AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Favorite Uncommon Carb?

So, I couldn't think of a better thread title. Basically we all know about pasta, oatmeal, bread, cereal, potatoes, etc and these are probably pretty common among us. However, are there any carb sources that are more uncommon than these or not talked about as much that you enjoy?

Personally, I LOVE some bulgar that is left in the fridge overnight with some apple cider vinegar. Wheat berries also make my list. What are some carb sources you eat that is not talked about frequently?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
do certain fruits count or are fruits in general considered a popular carb?

cuz i luv my mangos and persimmons. especially persimon cookies

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Donuts, cake, ice cream, sushi, fruity pebbles, corn syrup, turnovers, and sorbet.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I have an addiction to adding pumpkin to anything I need more carbs or fiber in. Have a stash of puree I add to shakes, add it to yogurt or oatmeal along with cinnamon and nutmeg, spread it on toast with pumpkin pie spice sometimes, great source of vitamin a and fiber.

I also love peas, when I want them on the go I have canned, unsalted ones I will devour. 27 g carbs, 12 g protein, again good amount of fiber.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honey and Fig jam

theOCdude

theOCdude

Awards
Never had it. Is there anything you could compare it to, texture wise.

Onion, sure fruits count! Mangos are awesome. I lie kiwis and think they re underrated.
It is an acquired taste but man I love them i eat buckwheat pancakes everyday. I forgot what was so great about buckwheat but I remember its better than wheat. Good fiber and 7 grams of protein per 1/4 cup is nice too.

theOCdude

theOCdude

Awards
It is an acquired taste but man I love them i eat buckwheat pancakes everyday. I forgot what was so great about buckwheat but I remember its better than wheat. Good fiber and 7 grams of protein per 1/4 cup is nice too.
Also quinoa and lentils

pow_wow41

pow_wow41

Awards
It is an acquired taste but man I love them i eat buckwheat pancakes everyday. I forgot what was so great about buckwheat but I remember its better than wheat. Good fiber and 7 grams of protein per 1/4 cup is nice too. Also quinoa and lentils
I agree on these, as they're better nutritional options to their popular older brothers (wheat/rice) I'm also a fan of oat bran. Packs way more nutrients/protein/fiber than good ol' fashion oats.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm going to try lentils soon. I have a package, but I usually stick to canned beans. Quiona is pretty good. I lie the taste, but hate the texture which is why I don't have it often.

theOCdude

theOCdude

Awards
I'm going to try lentils soon. I have a package, but I usually stick to canned beans. Quiona is pretty good. I lie the taste, but hate the texture which is why I don't have it often.
I make them adding mustard cumin and horseradish. Ya quinoa dose have a unique texture by itself.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dr pepper marinade haha!

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Chickpeas in the oven for 20min with cajun spices

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Chickpeas in the oven for 20min with cajun spices
I absolutely love chickpeas, I can't get enough of them.

Tried lentils the other day, they are different to say the least. I have to experiment with them.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Quinoa hands down. Black beans, sweet potatoes and Ezekiel bread too. Google "cookingquinoa" and subscribe to her daily recipe email. i've gotten some excellent recipes for quinoa that way.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
400 degrees... Makes em nice and crispy

veloforce

Awards
- black and pinto beans to get you lean. they have 19g of fiber per one cup serving
- edamame will make you stronger. they are rich in magnesium, potassium and calcium. also high in iron
- kidney and red beans will help you recover faster. they have more muscle mending and immune boosting antioxidants than any other good. They also have a perfect ratio of carbs to protein.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have an addiction to adding pumpkin to anything I need more carbs or fiber in. Have a stash of puree I add to shakes, add it to yogurt or oatmeal along with cinnamon and nutmeg, spread it on toast with pumpkin pie spice sometimes, great source of vitamin a and fiber.

I also love peas, when I want them on the go I have canned, unsalted ones I will devour. 27 g carbs, 12 g protein, again good amount of fiber.
I DO THE SAME THING!!! sooo good, pumpkin pancakes, oatmeal, oatcakes, mixed with greek yogurt, delicuous!!!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I DO THE SAME THING!!! sooo good, pumpkin pancakes, oatmeal, oatcakes, mixed with greek yogurt, delicuous!!!
Have you tried the special edition pumpkin pie Trutein? I'm hooked.
Great on it's own in a shake or baked into anything, pumpkin spice protein pancakes, Greek yogurt style cheesecake, great stuff.

Now I want pumpkin pie...

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you tried the special edition pumpkin pie Trutein? I'm hooked.
Great on it's own in a shake or baked into anything, pumpkin spice protein pancakes, Greek yogurt style cheesecake, great stuff.

Now I want pumpkin pie...
No...is it really that good? I'm pretty broke...any chamce u could send a sample or two? I'd pay u.....gotta see if its worth it, I have the AI pumpkin pie no whey which is pretty good

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Tried the chickpeas last night with just salt and pepper. Not bad. Think I needed to cook 'em longer, some of 'em still were a bit squishy, but the crunchy ones were really good. They'd be awesome with Ranch flavoring
Hmmm... Maybe try upping the temp to 420 or keep em in longer, ovens can vary. You know I also forget to mention that i put a little bit of olive oil on the cookie sheet and roll the chick peas around in it a little to help the seasoning stick, sorry forgot thats kinda important and may also be why they didn't crisp up enough. Sorry I completely forgot about that (facepalm). Never even thought about ranch flavoring but good idea lol. I actually haven't made the chick peas in a few so I may have to buy a few cans try some other seasonings.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tried the chickpeas last night with just salt and pepper. Not bad. Think I needed to cook 'em longer, some of 'em still were a bit squishy, but the crunchy ones were really good. They'd be awesome with Ranch flavoring
Never baked them before, I might have to give that a shot!

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Ok just so I stop screwing this up here is how it goes. You need chick peas, a cookie sheet, olive oil and cajun spices (or whatever spices you want)

Put some olive oil on a cookie sheet (no more than a table spoon). Place chick peas on cookie sheet and roll them around in the olive oil. Cover them with some seasoning and place in the oven at 400 degrees for 20min or until crispy. Enjoy

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
No...is it really that good? I'm pretty broke...any chamce u could send a sample or two? I'd pay u.....gotta see if its worth it, I have the AI pumpkin pie no whey which is pretty good
I'm in Canada (ON) which would make that much more difficult I'm guessing. If you ever get a chance try it for sure though, and I will see what I may be able to work out

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm in Canada (ON) which would make that much more difficult I'm guessing. If you ever get a chance try it for sure though, and I will see what I may be able to work out
im in buffalo, lets meet up haha.........its not far to ship maybe we coudl work somethin out

feather319

feather319

Awards
I love purple sweet potatoes. Fried plantains are good too.

Another good one is coating a banana in shredded coconut and frying it in coconut oil. The banana gets all warm and mushy. Serve with protein ice cream.

In a hurry, I love putting homemade dehydrated bananas in my whey protein shake. The liquid semi rehydrates the bananas and I eat them when I take a gulp of my protein shake.

bossman523

Banned
Awards

Pumpkin is a superfood; nothing wrong with that.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
theOCdude

theOCdude

Awards
I've been making coconut-flour blueberry muffins - totally gonna grab some pumpkin and throw it in. Pumpkin's awesome with all the potassium and beta-carotene (and other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting) and yet I never friggin' use it...
Make sure to use pumpkin pie spice if u want a strong flavor

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
For some reason honey is unpopular which is another awesome Carb source.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Raw honey is the ****!
Can you say natural wound healing? Can you say joint lubrication? Can you say low glycemic Carb? Can you say performance enhancing properties? Plus many more are the benifits of honey.

bossman523

Banned
Awards
i'm a big fan of honey. i add it to my protein shakes