100% all-liquid diet

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Thinking of getting 100% of my calories from shakes made with milk, oats, eggs, and protein powder.

Will also drink fruit juice,olive oil, and take a multi-V for further nutrition.

Besides being boring, any thoughts, or reasons why I shouldn't attempt this?

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Any reasons why you should?
I hate cooking; it's a waste of time. And please don't tell me to prepare everything at once on the weekends or something; it's still a waste of time.

Also I hate eating. I know people will want to crucify me for saying that, but I just find it a PITA.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah it will work and have done it a few times. Ha the worst is if u decide u wantto eat food. Will make u feel sick and full from a small amount

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Yeah it will work and have done it a few times. Ha the worst is if u decide u wantto eat food. Will make u feel sick and full from a small amount
Might have one small portion of solid food a day.

I heard the esophagus can gradually narrow on liquid diets.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i wouldnt go as far as saying cooking is a waste of time. go eat a bag of raw chicken and say cooking is a waste of time

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Vegetables? That 'diet' lacks a whole lot of important stuff. Find a program that tells you the mirconutrient content of your meals and I bet you'd find it misses quite a lot.

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Vegetables?
Overrated, IMO.

I saw a video online. Phil Heath hardly eats any vegetables. Not saying he's the picture of health though.

Also, I drink V8. People claim the cooking process destroys some of the nutrients, but I can't eat raw vegetables anyway due to OAS.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Overrated, IMO.

I saw a video online. Phil Heath hardly eats any vegetables. Not saying he's the picture of health though.

Also, I drink V8. People claim the cooking process destroys some of the nutrients, but I can't eat raw vegetables anyway due to OAS.
Big call. Overrated? Most certainly not. But V8 can be used as an alternative. Just bear in mind the reduction of certain things due to the removal of the skin.

People need to stop claiming cooking destroys nutrients. No. It doesn't. Boiling veges is a no-go because vitamins seep into the water, but cooking does not destroy the nutrients.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Overrated, IMO.

And basing lifestyle choices from a video online is not the brightest idea IMO; and just because he's alive now does not mean vegetables are overrated.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
People need to stop claiming cooking destroys nutrients. No. It doesn't. Boiling veges is a no-go because vitamins seep into the water, but cooking does not destroy the nutrients.

Ehh... im not too sure about this. I would cooking and how to cook vegetables will have an effect on micronutrients. To what extent? No clue. Is it detrimental? Doubtful. I would guess that while you will experience some micronutrient loss during cooking, you will also have an increased absorbtion of whats left.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After a quick search

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jsfa.1585/abstract

Phenolic compound contents in edible parts of broccoli inflorescences after domestic cooking

Abstract
Total flavonoid and individual hydroxycinnamoyl derivative (sinapic and caffeoyl-quinic acid derivative) contents were evaluated in the edible portions of freshly harvested broccoli (cv Marathon inflorescences) before and after cooking and in the cooking water. High-pressure boiling, low-pressure boiling (conventional), steaming and microwaving were the four domestic cooking processes used in this work. The predominant sinapic acid derivatives were identified as 1,2,2′-trisinapoylgentiobiose and 1,2′-disinapoyl-2-feruloylgentiobiose. In addition 1,2-diferuloylgentiobiose and 1-sinapoyl-2,2′-diferuloylgentiobiose were also identified in broccoli inflorescences. The results showed large differences among the four treatments in their influence on flavonoid and hydroxycinnamoyl derivative contents in broccoli. Clear disadvantages were detected when broccoli was microwaved, namely high losses of flavonoids (97%), sinapic acid derivatives (74%) and caffeoyl-quinic acid derivatives (87%). Conventional boiling led to a significant loss of flavonoids (66%) from fresh raw broccoli, while high-pressure boiling caused considerable leaching (47%) of caffeoyl-quinic acid derivatives into the cooking water. On the other hand, steaming had minimal effects, in terms of loss, on both flavonoid and hydroxycinnamoyl derivative contents. Therefore we can conclude that a greater quantity of phenolic compounds will be provided by consumption of steamed broccoli as compared with broccoli prepared by other cooking processes.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To the OP question

Body composition wise - it wont make much of a difference
With respect to health and longevity - your gonna have some issues

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Overrated, IMO.

Imitating what a bodybuilder who is juiced out of his mind is doing is not always ideal.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Ehh... im not too sure about this. I would cooking and how to cook vegetables will have an effect on micronutrients. To what extent? No clue. Is it detrimental? Doubtful. I would guess that while you will experience some micronutrient loss during cooking, you will also have an increased absorbtion of whats left.
Ah yes of course. You can lose more micros in certain methods of cooking than others, but also enhance some benefits and the absorption process; some things are best consumed cooked (lycopene) whereas perhaps some are not.
The issue is is that I have read a lot of articles that claim that you lose almost everything during cooking (basis of lots of raw food diets) but it is not so. This is what I assumed he was referring to.

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
To the OP question

Body composition wise - it wont make much of a difference
With respect to health and longevity - your gonna have some issues
What issues out of curiosity?

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
And basing lifestyle choices from a video online is not the brightest idea IMO; and just because he's alive now does not mean vegetables are overrated.
I haven't ate a vegetable in 20 years.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Do you get tested often for vitamin/ mineral deficiencies? I assume you take a multi and alongside fruit juice and V8 could cover a lot of your bases, but there are a lot of trace minerals + phytochemicals and things not found in muti's that may not be present in your juices and v8.

Theres that issue, and others. That isn't a huge variation in food which has implications for more than just boredom. For one, where are your saturated fats coming from? Iron? Aspartic acids? Cartinine salts? Things like that that are found in meat that you will be missing out on. Whole foods provide you with things you may have not even heard of; imo a little bit of time set aside for cooking can prevent a whole host of problems if you know what you are doing.

That is just my viewpoint, but obviously you are free to do as you like :D

FUBARMD

Awards
  • Established
Liquid diets ---> liquid sh*ts? Can't see that being a solid bowel movement