How many hours before sleeping do u eat?

shaun16

shaun16

Awards
I'm just wondering how many hours before you got to bed do you have your last bit of food or last meal. What is the best supplement or food to have before bedtime???

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is no best food or supplement to have before bed. Just hit your macros and you're set. Some will argue that you need casein protein, either in powder form or from dairy, but you do not need it. One will not lose muscle from not having a slow digesting protein before bed. As far as timing goes. Eat whenever you want. It will not affect your body composition. Some people sleep better on an empty stomach and eat 1-2 hours pre bed and some can sleep after eating. See what you respond better to.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
carbs + gda + zma

jbergman90

Awards
I like to have a scoop of casein about a half hour before going to bed. I don't i'll continue once i've used what I bought up because it honestly didn't make a huge difference. Like the dude above me said tho ZMA is nice. I take ZMA, and sublingual Vitamin D3 before bed too.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
There is no best food or supplement to have before bed. Just hit your macros and you're set. Some will argue that you need casein protein, either in powder form or from dairy, but you do not need it. One will not lose muscle from not having a slow digesting protein before bed. As far as timing goes. Eat whenever you want. It will not affect your body composition. Some people sleep better on an empty stomach and eat 1-2 hours pre bed and some can sleep after eating. See what you respond better to.
Dropping knowledge up in hurr.No need for casein or slow-digesting anything - you don't go catabolic overnight. That's broscience.I eat protein ice cream about 15-30 mins before bed. 1.5 scoops protein powder + 1.5 c almond milk + some sort of carb (caramel sauce, mini m&ms, andes mints - whatever). I hit my macros and that's what matters.

eluruguayo

eluruguayo

Awards
you don't go catabolic overnight. That's broscience.
Correct.
I always find it amusing when guys believe BOTH (a) that you can "go catabolic" during 5-8 hours of sleeping, AND (b) that 16/8 hour intermittent fasting is beneficial. Isn't the contradiction obvious?
I guess some people are just not thinkers.

The window of time before catabolism truly kicks in is, in fact, amazingly long—something like 60-72 hours, according to most of the studies that have been done.
Yeah those studies weren't done on people with higher-than-average muscle mass due to training (= bodybuilders/fitness guys). So muscle wasting/catabolism would probably start sooner in the kind of people who populate this forum... but definitely not less than 30-40 hours.

Suck it up people. Hunger is the feeling of a burning furnace, own that s**t.

--

In response to the original question:

Personally I eat all my food (and do all my workouts) within six hours of bedtime. Mostly because (a) that's when my kids are sleeping, but also (b) because I'm a "night person" by nature—I get sleepy and lazy when it's daylight out—and (c) because I sleep best on a decently full stomach.
On workout days I regularly consume between 150 and 200 g of carbs, along with 100 to 150 g of protein, within 2-3 hours of going to sleep.
At bedtime, I usually eat 30-60 grams of almonds, brazil nuts, and/or peanuts.
I am about 7% bf right now, so there are clearly no issues of nighttime fat retention.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Correct.
I always find it amusing when guys believe BOTH (a) that you can "go catabolic" during 5-8 hours of sleeping, AND (b) that 16/8 hour intermittent fasting is beneficial. Isn't the contradiction obvious?
I guess some people are just not thinkers.

The window of time before catabolism truly kicks in is, in fact, amazingly long—something like 60-72 hours, according to most of the studies that have been done.
Yeah those studies weren't done on people with higher-than-average muscle mass due to training (= bodybuilders/fitness guys). So muscle wasting/catabolism would probably start sooner in the kind of people who populate this forum... but definitely not less than 30-40 hours.

Suck it up people. Hunger is the feeling of a burning furnace, own that s**t.

--

In response to the original question:

Personally I eat all my food (and do all my workouts) within six hours of bedtime. Mostly because (a) that's when my kids are sleeping, but also (b) because I'm a "night person" by nature—I get sleepy and lazy when it's daylight out—and (c) because I sleep best on a decently full stomach.
On workout days I regularly consume between 150 and 200 g of carbs, along with 100 to 150 g of protein, within 2-3 hours of going to sleep.
At bedtime, I usually eat 30-60 grams of almonds, brazil nuts, and/or peanuts.
I am about 7% bf right now, so there are clearly no issues of nighttime fat retention.
Well said.

As is the rest, but I like this part.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have my last meal 2-3 hours before bed. At the moment taking just one pill of Vanillien before bed. I used to believe that whole going catabolic while sleeping and used to take cassien before bed and never saw a difference. Never went back to it.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
BOOOOM!!^ right there op, I eat about 2000+cals right before bed