soy protein good or bad?

Viking23

Awards
I am allergic to dairy which means no whey or casein. I already use egg white protein and am looking at something to mix it up with and was going to try a soy protein. Anyone think this is a good idea?

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
I wouldn't rely on it as my SOLE source of protein, but if you're just having a shake or something once a day, it's fine. Make sure you're consuming as many whole sources of protein as you can first and foremost.

Viking23

Awards
I wouldn't rely on it as my SOLE source of protein, but if you're just having a shake or something once a day, it's fine. Make sure you're consuming as many whole sources of protein as you can first and foremost.
Thanks for the response and yeah I know I only have a shake "soy" after my lift along with a meal and another shake "egg whites" later at night before bed.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Best not to make two threads on the same subject; just a friendly heads up.

Viking23

Awards
Best not to make two threads on the same subject; just a friendly heads up.
I didn't think I did because I'm using my phone and I was having signal issues so I didnt think it went through and made a new thread. My apologies if it went through but for some reason only one I am subscribed to

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Its alright; was just saying ;)

eluruguayo

eluruguayo

Awards
Do you eat meat or fish? If so, you should be fine—just bump up the amounts of those, and then use the soy on an as-necessary basis when eating protein-rich whole foods is difficult or impossible (e.g., weekend motorcycle trip).

If you are vegetarian, whether on purpose or just de facto, then you're going to have to bite either the soy bullet or the dairy bullet. Pick your poison.

Regarding your question about estrogens: Remember, "There are no poisons—only poisonous doses."
Most of the soy/feminization stuff has been reported at extreme levels of consumption (like 10+ times the norm, for months or years straight). At more moderate levels of consumption (unless you are an infant or small child) the data are inconclusive, and whatever effects there might be are quite small.
So, as long as you aren't planning to drink 2 quarts of soy milk (or throw down 3-4 of those shakes) every day, you should be fine.

In this respect, soy is a lot like, say, red wine. Both of them have upsides—soy likely protects against prostate cancer and might even extend life, and wine may protect your heart—but excess consumption is bad. (Alcohol also has pro-estrogenic effects.)

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
How are you with wheat protein?

According to Layne's research wheat protein supplemented with the same amount of leucine you would find in a whey supplement allowed for the same synthesis results. So, for an experiment you might try this out, buy some bulk leucine and wheat protein and make your own mix. I think the average amount per scoop of whey is 2-3 grams

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
If it was whey isolate with no lactose, would it still be problematic? Dairy makes my ass stink, so I suppose I could have an allergy. But isolated whey has remedied the problem.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Or you could avoid protein shakes entirely as well as dairy. Just eat like a champ like I do. Mmm food

Viking23

Awards
If it was whey isolate with no lactose, would it still be problematic? Dairy makes my ass stink, so I suppose I could have an allergy. But isolated whey has remedied the problem.
Nope I'm allergic, not lactose intolerant. I get hives and my airway can close if I have to much (which doesn't take a lot).

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Nope I'm allergic, not lactose intolerant. I get hives and my airway can close if I have to much (which doesn't take a lot).
More meat it is then. Mmmmm...I love me some cattle