How do you guys get it!

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. When it comes to things like rice, you can do either—you can use the cooked numbers, or the raw numbers. Just don't confuse them with each other.
    For instance, 42 grams of UNcooked rice has about 0g fat, 2g pro, 34g carbs.
    100 grams of COOKED rice has the same macros.

So, just go with whichever one is appropriate. If you weigh out the raw stuff, then go with the raw numbers. If you just cook a whole bunch of rice and once and then eat it out of the refrigerator—let's be serious, who has the time to cook rice every single time you want to eat it—or if you get rice from take-out, then use the cooked numbers.

--

When it comes to meat, now, that's a whole different animal.
    If you are talking GROUND meat, then the "raw" numbers are going to be WAY off. Like "not even funny" level of off, the fat could be as much as 300% of the actual value.
    I did a post on that, with ground beef. (the url ends with nutrition-health/228399-cooked-ground-beef.html)
    You should just read the post, but the upshot is that 20/80 ground beef has 23 grams of fat per 4 oz raw, but that drops all the way down to 8 grams of fat when you cook it. Unless you don't drain it. But I'm sure you drain it.

Seems like you are making this way harder than it needs to be. Just ... keep it consistent, even if your numbers for calories are wrong you are still getting in the same amount day in and day out
    Whoa, no. Unless he literally eats exactly the same foods day in and day out.

If he eats a dish with 20/80 ground beef (which loses 2/3 of its fat when cooked) on Monday, and then a dish with chicken breast (which really doesn't lose any fat) on Tuesday, he is going to drastically overestimate his calories for Monday.

2. I think we are just overthinking this. Just get a list of foods you eat and how many grams per ounce (what I do) everything is weighed cooked as far as meats go. And rice is dry measure (not weight but using cups.

I literally just have a list of foods I eat and how many grams (of carbs,protein, or fats) in each one per ounce or cup. Measure and eat.,. Simple as that.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by eluruguayo View Post
    Whoa, no. Unless he literally eats exactly the same foods day in and day out.
    LOL, I eat the same exact foods every day for weeks/months on end. I forget that some people...most people would go insane doing that. Seriously, 8oz beef, 4oz pasta, 1/2 cup sauce :P 2 times per day, upping to 3 now that i'm gonna bulk. And I know for sure that I have the wrong stats for the beef, it's 93/7 and says 8oz is 320 cals...lol but since I eat the same thing every day, although it's off, the amount of cals i'm getting even if 200+ more, is still consistent to the exact number, even if the number I think it is, is wrong
    I don't go lift, I don't go workout, I don't go train....I go get sexy....sexy as fwuark!!!!!!!!!

4. Quote Originally Posted by xigotmailx View Post
    LOL, I eat the same exact foods every day for weeks/months on end. I forget that some people...most people would go insane doing that.
    I bet most of us, on here, at least, are closer to you than you think. After all, we like the foods that we like—and inertia is a powerful force. It's annoying to calculate the macros for "something new" when you have all the old standbys ready to go.

But the point remains, if you ever switch foods you are going to need to reconcile the numbers with each other.

And I know for sure that I have the wrong stats for the beef, it's 93/7 and says 8oz is 320 cals...lol
    If that's 8oz RAW, then that sounds just about exactly right. 8oz of raw 93/7 should have about 16g fat, 44g pro... so that's 16*9 + 44*4 = exactly 320 calories.

On the other hand, if that's 8oz AFTER COOKING, then yeah, that's an underestimate. It won't be off by 200 calories, but it will be off.

5. On myfitnesspal it shows the same for cooked and uncooked. As for my meals, beef/pasta/sauce x however many times I need to eat, now is 3
    I don't go lift, I don't go workout, I don't go train....I go get sexy....sexy as fwuark!!!!!!!!!
    •   

6. Agree with everyone that says you're over thinking this man.

1. Use myfitnesspal to track what you eat.
    2. Eat more to get bigger or eat less to get smaller.

Pretty simple concept, but it can be made extremely difficult when you think to much about it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post

That's true.

the reason I don't weigh in at cooked with meat because the ****er cost to much! I'm on a collage budget

What are your goals?

Eggs, peanut butter, olive oil, canned tuna, canned meats, milk, rice, flank steak, hamburger, are all pretty budget friendly foods that can pack on some size for example.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How do you guys get bloodwork done?
    By bonez3113 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 01:45 PM
  2. Replies: 287
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
  3. how do you guys get rid of pins?
    By mac_dad6 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 10:47 AM