Keeping track of macros?

MightyMex

MightyMex

Awards
When it comes to nutrition, I am far from expert... but I want to learn so, here's my main question..

How do you keep track of your macros?
I will figure that after a while you kinda know how much protein, carbs or fats eat on a regular day, but for people like me just starting to realize the important role of nutrition in bodybuilding it might be a bit harder...

I am aware of a couple of apps out there to help you keep track of your macros, but my question is...

What do you think is the best way to keep track of macros?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i use a small notebook and ink pen.....

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When it comes to nutrition, I am far from expert... but I want to learn so, here's my main question..

How do you keep track of your macros?
I will figure that after a while you kinda know how much protein, carbs or fats eat on a regular day, but for people like me just starting to realize the important role of nutrition in bodybuilding it might be a bit harder...

I am aware of a couple of apps out there to help you keep track of your macros, but my question is...

What do you think is the best way to keep track of macros?
Lol with the app. It makes it easier ten fold... i use fat secret- calorie counter. All you do is scan the bar code and boom the nutritional value is there.

MightyMex

MightyMex

Awards
Tyga, thanks bro
Im going to check out the apps and see what works for me.

hvactec, small notebook and ink pen?Do they still make those?
Just kidding, man...
I will make sure I am more specific on my future questions

Last edited:
hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i was using "my fitness". im kinda old school....

MightyMex

MightyMex

Awards
Its ok, bro
I am 35yo and I am just starting in this, so I want to ask people who know their stuff
Learning takes time, I found that the hard way.. Getting gear online that ended up being bunk, but at least I learned how to do IM injections!

I appreciate any tips you can share, man... I plan on being here for a while, lots on info

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i used to track religiously everyday and realized i was going insane, i now track weekly cals but calculate protein daily. for macro breakdowns the average is:
1g protein per bodyweight
.5g fat per bodyweight
fill the rest with carbs

adjust as needed

Rolo87

Rolo87

Awards
i was using "my fitness". im kinda old school....
My fitness pal is what I also use ..I just started using it last week and let me say with out it I was eating way too many calories, carbs and not enough protein now its super easy to know where your at nd it's kinda fun too lol ..u can also add friends nd see how they r doing.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2 while texting and driving

heavyasssquat

heavyasssquat

Awards
I can't imagine how hard it was for the pros back in the 80s and before to keep track of their food without myfitnesspal. writing/calculating it would be such a pain.

hubbabubba

hubbabubba

Awards
My fitness pal is great but I would also invest in a food scale. You'll be surprised by how much meat you really have to eat to get to your protein totals. I got mine at Costco for 19.99. It's great.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
yeah, a scale is a must....

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what TDEE formula is most accurate to you guys think? I'm no longer doing the SYFFF (stuff your fat ****ing face) method

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
Scales are a must. I used to go by the rule that 4oz is the size of a card deck. That's good for meats but that's all.

Myfitnesspal is good because it also stores you foods so your not always looking stuff up.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
what TDEE formula is most accurate to you guys think? I'm no longer doing the SYFFF (stuff your fat ****ing face) method
fitness frog is pretty accurate

MightyMex

MightyMex

Awards
I downloaded My Fitness Pal, its OK, I guess. Don't have any other app to compare it to.
The only downside I've seen with My Fitness Pal is that you can't change your macros, yeah... It keeps track of them but by evening time I am already over on protein and carbs intake yet far away from total calories.

Maybe I messed up on the original setup.

I'm 5"10, 210 lbs and according to MFP I get to eat 1750 cals in order to lose weight (@2lbs/week) I ate my last meal for today and i am at 1355 cals.

I think I will download that other app and see how they differ from one another.

hubbabubba

hubbabubba

Awards
Yeah that happens to me too but I just use it to track. I eat between 2500 and 2800 a day and it says I need 2070 but I still lose at least a couple pounds a week.

MightyMex

MightyMex

Awards
I downloaded Cals And Macros, too and that one gave me a 3540 cals a day for weight loss. That's a huge difference!

Now I don't know which one is more accurate, haha