Food after morning training and BCAA question

feather319

feather319

Awards
Hi. I train in the morning and have been experimenting with skipping the whey protein post workout. I usually train at 7-8:15 with 1 scoop BCAA preworkout. I usually get a whey protein shake in around 9 am and eat around 9:30. 3 eggs w/flax and 1/2 cup to 1 cup sweet potato. The last few weeks I've experimented with skipping the why and using Xtend. I've been dosing 2 scoops post workout and then getting breakfast around 9:30. I have been finding this week that my muscles are super sore and not as recovered as before. Am I waiting to long to eat? Do I need more BCAA? what is your experience with post workout nutrition after morning training?

Also, would you consider my first meal of the day to be sufficient?

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
I'd go with Xtend intra workout and whey protein immediately post. Then a meal 45-90 minutes later.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I train 16+hours fasted with 10g BCAA pre workout and don't have a post workout meal till about an hour later

feather319

feather319

Awards
Hmm...I wonder why I am not recovering then. I forgot to mention I add leucine to my post workout BCAA mix but it hasn't helped with muscle recover as I would have hoped. I will experiment a bit longer before I go back to whey. Thanks for the input.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Leucines role is to primarily switch the body from AMPK activation to activating mTOR and thus activating protein synthesis. The most important meal is the 'post' workout meal. For me, this involves 10g BCAA with some Leucine coupled with some form of protein and carb source. The idea is to get the body into protein synthesis mode as quickly as possibe after a bout of exercise and start the nutrient shuttling process.

Xtend is kinda pointless imo, but to each their own but you shouldn't be swapping post workout things in favor of intra as the intra is primarily for prolonging energy. On a related note, taking in BCAAs and Carbs intra will slow down lipolysis (the bodys ability to burn fat as a source) and so I recommend dropping all intras and instead take a caffeine tab or something.

The body does remain in a state of protein synthesis for ~24+ hours post resistance training workout but I still like to get in a post workout relatviely soon after just to kick start the process. On top of that, A carb source post workout will stop protein degradation which is another reason to take in something post.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leucines role is to primarily switch the body from AMPK activation to activating mTOR and thus activating protein synthesis. The most important meal is the 'post' workout meal. For me, this involves 10g BCAA with some Leucine coupled with some form of protein and carb source. The idea is to get the body into protein synthesis mode as quickly as possibe after a bout of exercise and start the nutrient shuttling process.

Xtend is kinda pointless imo, but to each their own but you shouldn't be swapping post workout things in favor of intra as the intra is primarily for prolonging energy. On a related note, taking in BCAAs and Carbs intra will slow down lipolysis (the bodys ability to burn fat as a source) and so I recommend dropping all intras and instead take a caffeine tab or something.

The body does remain in a state of protein synthesis for ~24+ hours post resistance training workout but I still like to get in a post workout relatviely soon after just to kick start the process. On top of that, A carb source post workout will stop protein degradation which is another reason to take in something post.
OK, what are your thoughts on having carbs/BCAA intra from a performance oriented perspective?

I understand your point with lipolysis, but what about solely getting bigger/stronger/faster?

Kingjake

Kingjake

Awards
Hmm...I wonder why I am not recovering then. I forgot to mention I add leucine to my post workout BCAA mix but it hasn't helped with muscle recover as I would have hoped. I will experiment a bit longer before I go back to whey. Thanks for the input.
Could be other factors.. Like total intake of macros through out the rest of day. Sufficient amount of sleep.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
OK, what are your thoughts on having carbs/BCAA intra from a performance oriented perspective?

I understand your point with lipolysis, but what about solely getting bigger/stronger/faster?
Intras have a place, but probably not in your average joes weight routine. If glycogen stores are relatively full going into an exercise routine then that is most likely ample to sustain exercise over durations of an hour. Bear in mind that most studies supporting intra's are for endurance or HIIT type events as opposed to resistance exercise.

Of course, if you like intras, then go for it :D