Which breakfast to do if no other meal before training?

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
The problem is that I find myself to train better when the gym is not so crowded plus, I feel more productive for the rest of the day compared
to training at late noon where I lose the rest of the day.

For this purpose I was considering to get up, consume a heavy breakfast and then few hours later going to the gym with no further meal.
In this case what should I eat for breakfast considering that the body is empty after a night of fasting plus I need extra energy for pushing?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How many hours later would you be lifting?
I prefer not bogging myself down with heavy foods before the gym.
If you can manage a 3 hour gap, I'd say slam a protein shake immediately upon waking to get some fast replenishment, then an hour later eat something like chicken or fish with brown rice. Otherwise you probably won't have that productive feeling in the gym that you speak of.

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
The plan would be to go as early as possible but I can wait 3 hours to start, its just that usually I get bcaa right before hitting the gym.

So my plan was getting up and have a heavy meal, wait 2/3 hours before getting the bcaa then 45 min after start with the warm-up and weights.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd honestly go with some eggs/oatmeal/yogurt/protein shake or something and then hit the gym. Everyone is different, maybe you can stomach a heavier meal at the gym, but with me I get sluggish and bloated and lose all motivation if I try that!

CobbledPath

Awards
I wake up at 5am and am in the gym by 6 so I generally have a humapro shake with extras like Toco 8, Taurine, MSM and maca in it along with 2 pieces of sourdough bread with cottage cheese piled on. it's light but enough that I can lift heavy as I need to.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Training fasted would work. 5g leucine pre and post workout, bcaas intra then eat when your done.

If you can eat before the gym do so. But, it doesnt matter if you do or dont. If youre wanting to have something in your stomach (assuming you do or you wouldnt of started the thread) slice of toast, half a fruit and a couple eggs or turkey sausage.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
no need for any food pre workout, I train 16+ hours fasted and feel WAY better this way

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
This is going to be highly individualized, as I'm sure you can see by the answers. Some people can tolerate having a larger meal before they train, others can't. Personally, I need SOMETHING, but if it's too much, I feel like I have a boulder in my stomach, and that's no good. When I train in the AM, I like to have a shake (typically Protean Red Velvet Cake + almond milk) and a banana or some oatmeal with blueberries. It's enough to give me energy and some strength, but not so much that I feel like I'm gonna yak in the middle of heavy deads. Play around and see what works for you. Some of the folks who have responded have given good examples of things to eat.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The body isn't empty after a 'night of fasting'. Provided you ate enough the day prior, you will have enough glycogen to carry you over to the next bout of exercise, not to mention the ample amount of triglycerides the body can hold. So it mostly comes down to how you personally prefer to train; on a full stomach or empty or partial.

Personally i'd drop BCAA intra workout in favor of pre/post unless perhaps doing LISS (>1hr).

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
The body isn't empty after a 'night of fasting'. Provided you ate enough the day prior, you will have enough glycogen to carry you over to the next bout of exercise, not to mention the ample amount of triglycerides the body can hold. So it mostly comes down to how you personally prefer to train; on a full stomach or empty or partial.

Personally i'd drop BCAA intra workout in favor of pre/post unless perhaps doing LISS (>1hr).
This is true but depending on when your last meal is your stomach certainly be empty which is whyy i cant train fasted i start to lose focus half way through y workout because of my hunger pains.. So i opt for a shake with some MCT oil and a couple eggs an hour or two before i train

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedbacks guys, I decided to have a single big meal constisting of brown rice, chicken breast and few slices of white bread with dutch choccolate.

The reason is that the white bread and the dutch choccolate will help to replenish the body fast, then the brown rice and the chicken will give me energy for the following workout which will happen two to three hours later.

I'll let you know how it feels.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This is true but depending on when your last meal is your stomach certainly be empty which is whyy i cant train fasted i start to lose focus half way through y workout because of my hunger pains.. So i opt for a shake with some MCT oil and a couple eggs an hour or two before i train
Stomach yes, muscle stores no (dependent on what your diet looks like). Like I said, its all individual based on preference

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the feedbacks guys, I decided to have a single big meal constisting of brown rice, chicken breast and few slices of white bread with dutch choccolate.

The reason is that the white bread and the dutch choccolate will help to replenish the body fast, then the brown rice and the chicken will give me energy for the following workout which will happen two to three hours later.

I'll let you know how it feels.
Just FYI, brown rice contains a lot of phytates (anti-nutrients) and isn't a 'healthier' option compared to say, Basmati rice.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
so basmati is the better choice?
Definitely. Most people avoid rice because they see it as a high g.i. food, which in some cases it is (dependent on type) but hardly anyone eats rice by itself and usually they eat it alongside a fat or protein or both which reduces the glycemic load.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know if I would use the word "better". What I would say is that your reasons for picking brown rice over other types are most likely misguided and that brown rice isn't any "healthier" than other rices. If you acrually enjoy brown rice than more power to you but if you are forcing yourself to eat brown rice based off a belief that it is better than you, you can switch

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I don't know if I would use the word "better". What I would say is that your reasons for picking brown rice over other types are most likely misguided and that brown rice isn't any "healthier" than other rices. If you acrually enjoy brown rice than more power to you but if you are forcing yourself to eat brown rice based off a belief that it is better than you, you can switch
exactly this, couldn't agree more

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
isn't brown rice a slower burning carb as opposed to white which is a faster burning carb? so depending on when and with what u eat it with it is actually a healthier option than white rice which can lead to carb overload and thus turn into fat i not burned off? please correct me if im wrong

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
isn't brown rice a slower burning carb as opposed to white which is a faster burning carb? so depending on when and with what u eat it with it is actually a healthier option than white rice which can lead to carb overload and thus turn into fat i not burned off? please correct me if im wrong
Definitely. Most people avoid rice because they see it as a high g.i. food, which in some cases it is (dependent on type) but hardly anyone eats rice by itself and usually they eat it alongside a fat or protein or both which reduces the glycemic load.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This is a much more objective answer. I say better because I hate brown rice with a passion haha

averyclay

averyclay

Awards
Hi there,

I think Tofu or vegetarian snacks are the best options for breakfast.