Sugar for carbs?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. But I do limit carbs for other reasons, but that isn't one of them


  2. Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioAnimal View Post
    how do you need to consume 5000 calories a day if you weigh 172?
    Maybe because all people react differently to different stimuli.

    I weigh a whopping 167-169 and can't gain weight at less than 43-4500 and its slow gaining (a pound or two every 1-2 months)
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    The least likely pathway for a carb is to be stored as fat. Insulin does indeed shuttle glucose into adipocytes but it also shuttles glucose into cells for cellular work and/ or storage.
    It doesn't get stored as fat until all other avenues are exhausted.
    If you actually read what I said you might see I didn't say a carb would be stored as fat. In simple terms a simple sugar creates a insulin spike. Yes? Which then pulls a fatty acid into a fat cell. Yes?

  4. Quote Originally Posted by R1187 View Post
    Needed 4K+ just to gain at 150lbs.

    Now I'm 172, on cycle, and am getting VERY deppressed due barely gaining 10lbs in 6 weeks.

    5K is probably the minimum I should be ingesting right now.
    Get your thyroid checked; that is not normal even for a hard gainer. And this BS above about you have to have whole food is just that, BS. There is nothing wrong with a shake made with quality ingredients.
    If my direct and cynical approach bothers you, just ignore it. I'm just saying what you need to hear ;).

  5. Sure, slam down a bunch of sugar and get diabetes. That makes sense.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by drewsicle3210 View Post
    Sure, slam down a bunch of sugar and get diabetes. That makes sense.
    You realize that by your logic those that use dextrose post workout or even gatorade will get diabetes... so not the case. Maybe do some reading on what is needed long term to put a person at risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
    If my direct and cynical approach bothers you, just ignore it. I'm just saying what you need to hear ;).

  7. Ok. That isn't what I meant. And the Amounts and frequency that I am assuming that he is stressing over isn't a post workout shake


    Progress is my motivation...
    I'm not done yet....

  8. I've actually read that 4 table spoons a day of extra virgin olive oil is good for you (at least according to the mediterranean diet). This would add about an extra 600 calories a day pretty easily and maybe in a healthier way than sugar. There's other problems with using sugar i have read that blood sugar spikes can actually lower testosterone also sugar itself can be addictive and has effects on the brain similar to hard drugs. I wouldn't supplement it for extra calories and if you want proof you can look up the sugar study on 60 minutes.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by inda11 View Post
    If you actually read what I said you might see I didn't say a carb would be stored as fat. In simple terms a simple sugar creates a insulin spike. Yes? Which then pulls a fatty acid into a fat cell. Yes?
    yes but that's not all it does is what jiigz was trying to say
    1300 pound club, 1400 in site

  10. Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    yes but that's not all it does is what jiigz was trying to say
    Yes but this guy doesn't need to know everything behind it. Need to keep it simple so he understands.

  11. Are these shake suggestions for during the day or as a post-workout? I only ask because I see some people suggesting peanut butter and/or olive oil. And, while great choices--I add PB to my morning shake--I had read that it's best to limit fats in a post-workout shake. Or, is this simply a matter of preference?

    I add chocolate syrup to my post shake. I make a banana split, so to speak. Just started it this week. I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder, two bananas, frozen strawberries--get that ice cream consistency--some maraschino cherries, a tsp or two of vanilla extract, and the old Hershey's syrup, maybe 1tbsp at most. Blend the stupid out of it all--in phases, mind you--then chug-a-lug. Might need to add another banana or some vanilla yogurt.

    While I enjoyed the convenience of waxy maize, I believe it was bloating me too much. With the change to above shake, not as bloated and feel recharged. Way back when, I used to use Serious Mass and/or Muscle Juice, but it got pricey, even dosing it halfway. Nowadays, the only powder I prefer is protein powder.

    Also, you can grind up oats and add them to your shake as well. I do that for my morning one.
    Follow along the DTPv3 run: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/283899-ricroc-puts-dtvpv3.html

  12. Quote Originally Posted by ricroc View Post
    Are these shake suggestions for during the day or as a post-workout? I only ask because I see some people suggesting peanut butter and/or olive oil. And, while great choices--I add PB to my morning shake--I had read that it's best to limit fats in a post-workout shake. Or, is this simply a matter of preference?

    I add chocolate syrup to my post shake. I make a banana split, so to speak. Just started it this week. I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder, two bananas, frozen strawberries--get that ice cream consistency--some maraschino cherries, a tsp or two of vanilla extract, and the old Hershey's syrup, maybe 1tbsp at most. Blend the stupid out of it all--in phases, mind you--then chug-a-lug. Might need to add another banana or some vanilla yogurt.

    While I enjoyed the convenience of waxy maize, I believe it was bloating me too much. With the change to above shake, not as bloated and feel recharged. Way back when, I used to use Serious Mass and/or Muscle Juice, but it got pricey, even dosing it halfway. Nowadays, the only powder I prefer is protein powder.

    Also, you can grind up oats and add them to your shake as well. I do that for my morning one.

    There it is. Oats in your shake. More than perfect.

  13. [QUOTE=ricroc;3933135]Are these shake suggestions for during the day or as a post-workout? I only ask because I see some people suggesting peanut butter and/or olive oil. And, while great choices--I add PB to my morning shake--I had read that it's best to limit fats in a post-workout shake. Or, is this simply a matter of preference?[QUOTE]
    1300 pound club, 1400 in site

  14. Cool
    Follow along the DTPv3 run: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/283899-ricroc-puts-dtvpv3.html

  15. Quote Originally Posted by inda11 View Post
    If you actually read what I said you might see I didn't say a carb would be stored as fat. In simple terms a simple sugar creates a insulin spike. Yes? Which then pulls a fatty acid into a fat cell. Yes?
    No, fructose causes a very mild insulin repsonse; fructose is a 'simple' sugar is it not? Insulin does not necessarily cause fat storage; there is no clear evidence that sugars cause obesity. It is not as simple as you make it out to be. Whilst I do not recommend eating sugars as a primary source of carbohydrate (for reasons unrelated to obesity), they can certainly be used under certain instances and manipulated for certian functions.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by inda11 View Post
    Yes but this guy doesn't need to know everything behind it. Need to keep it simple so he understands.
    Why doesn't he need to know everything behind it? Or mechanisms involved? Learning the whole truth is better than falling victim to partial truths.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by drewsicle3210 View Post
    Sure, slam down a bunch of sugar and get diabetes. That makes sense.
    High sugar diets do not cause diabetes. End of story.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by R1187 View Post

    High sugar diets do not cause diabetes. End of story.
    Truth
    Online community manager/lead rep of Chaos and Pain,LLC and Fundamental Nutrition.Check us out!chaosandpain.com fnsupps.com Follow me on instagram:@pyrobatt
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. AP for carb cycling
    By bj22 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2008, 10:14 PM
  2. Need solid Pizza recipe for carb-up
    By CryingEmo in forum Recipes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 07:17 PM
  3. Carbs for carb sensitive people?
    By Deano in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 01:09 PM
  4. High GI or Low GI for carb loading
    By WiNgS in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-04-2003, 01:12 AM
  5. No More Sugar (For You Bobo)
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Log in
Log in