Sugar for carbs?

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
I find it so difficult to consume 5,000 cals a day, and yes, that really is how much I need.

I'm already relying heavily on milk for calories, I've been thinking of adding some chocolate syrup for additional cals.

In principle this should work fine, as a calorie is basically a calorie, and even complex carbs all get broken down to simple sugar anyway.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has tried incorporating more sugar in thier diet, and how the results were.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I find it so difficult to consume 5,000 cals a day, and yes, that really is how much I need.

I'm already relying heavily on milk for calories, I've been thinking of adding some chocolate syrup for additional cals.

In principle this should work fine, as a calorie is basically a calorie, and even complex carbs all get broken down to simple sugar anyway.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has tried incorporating more sugar in thier diet, and how the results were.
that would be ok to do if you are struggling getting enough calories but of course you would be better off consuming something with more vitamins/nutrients.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
A calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie.. they are all metabolically different ;) fats should be preferred over carbs

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
A calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie.. they are all metabolically different ;) fats should be preferred over carbs
why is this? if he is hitting his fat and protein minimums then he can fill the remainder of the calories in with whichever he pleases

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Perhaps. Perhaps not. Of course he could do that but sugar is not the best option and the logic that it all 'turns' into sugar eventually is misguided. From a physique standpoint he might not notice anything different, but from a health standpoint there is a difference. And I will always gravitate toward longetivity and health as opposed to simply looking good.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Certain foods effect the body differently from a hormonal standpoint.

Hersheys syrup is probably corn syrup. I require LOTS OF CARBS to maintain size, I find good ol' complex messy as hell waxy maize great for

having 150-250g carb drinks without any GI stress or bloat.

I have 800G CARBS/DAY currently and half from karboload and waxy and staying hard and full.

-Matt

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
^ Jesus :shocked:lucky

ClaudioAnimal

ClaudioAnimal

Awards
how do you need to consume 5000 calories a day if you weigh 172?

ClaudioAnimal

ClaudioAnimal

Awards
very very active or the weight is not updated..

musclefool

musclefool

Awards
  • Established
Get a weight gainer? Super mass by Optimum nutrition has a gainer called serious mass it'll have everything you need!

vassille

Awards

Yes, I got fat which also led to insulin resistance, which led to eating more food because not all was utilized for energy production but was stored as fat...vicious cycle.
In reality you right even sugar breaks down to glucose but it does so very quickly and it has little chance to be used as energy so it's stored as fat most times...unless you have a hyperthyroid issue which I would address it with meds rather than food or scale back your activity level so you dont require tons of food. Alternative to glucose for energy I'd consider fat.
If you want to ulitize sugar then mix it with something that will slow down it's absorption. In any case I wouldnt consider this a long term strategy.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Get a weight gainer? Super mass by Optimum nutrition has a gainer called serious mass it'll have everything you need!
disregard^ get your calories through whole foods

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Or he could have a very high metabolism and be an extreme hard gainer.

I would personally side with something else other than sugars, since they will make your insulin go all over the place. Nuts? Natty PB? Almond Oil? I find nuts to be the easiest since a handful of them is already a good 500calories and you can eat at will.

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Needed 4K+ just to gain at 150lbs.

Now I'm 172, on cycle, and am getting VERY deppressed due barely gaining 10lbs in 6 weeks.

5K is probably the minimum I should be ingesting right now.

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Or he could have a very high metabolism and be an extreme hard gainer.

I would personally side with something else other than sugars, since they will make your insulin go all over the place. Nuts? Natty PB? Almond Oil? I find nuts to be the easiest since a handful of them is already a good 500calories and you can eat at will.
Allergic to nuts and peanut butter. I won't go into shock or anything, but I can't eat them.

What do you guys think about olive oil?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Allergic to nuts and peanut butter. I won't go into shock or anything, but I can't eat them.

What do you guys think about olive oil?
Good to go. Drop them into a shake with some coconut oil, itl add some nice flavour. You can up the carbs if your on cycle

ChrisW002

ChrisW002

Awards
Using waxy maize like jigg said and whole foods like cummings said are both good.

Serious mass is not only expensive but it made me feel extremely bloated. Wouldnt get it again.

Someone on here told me to add syrup to my shakes to slow metabolism. Add that and waxy maize to a protien shake and that should help :)

Also when i eat clean i can eat a lot more.

icecold9487

Awards
sugar is half fructose and half glucose. fructose can only replenish liver glycogen and is not a healthy carb. complex carbs get broken down into only glucose which replenishes both muscle and liver glycogen. so eat less sugar, more complex carbs.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
sugar is half fructose and half glucose. fructose can only replenish liver glycogen and is not a healthy carb. complex carbs get broken down into only glucose which replenishes both muscle and liver glycogen. so eat less sugar, more complex carbs.
Thats table sugar, not sugar in general (milk sugar etc etc). Plus liver glycogen eventually makes it way into the blood but is just not ready metabolized into glucose for storage in muscle cells.

icecold9487

Awards
Thats table sugar, not sugar in general (milk sugar etc etc). Plus liver glycogen eventually makes it way into the blood but is just not ready metabolized into glucose for storage in muscle cells.
true. i was replying to him suggesting that he add extra sugar from chocolate syrup. it's more effective to replace both muscle and liver glycogen since a body running on only liver glycogen is not as strong as one running on both muscle and liver.

JD261985

Banned
Awards

Now I'm 172, on cycle, and am getting VERY deppressed due barely gaining 10lbs in 6 weeks.

I'm 162 and make solid gains at 2800-3100 cals doing HIT type training

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established

Same here. I don't gain unless I get in 4,000 cals. And even then its a slooooow gain. I recently began adding 1 cup of ice cream to my homemade weight gainer shake in order to bump up the calories and improve taste. This is now the "meal" I most look forward to. It has 1,000 cals, full of nutrients, and has made my life much easier.

Anyway, in adding the ice cream, my logic was that I am already eating complex carbs, lean meats, and random fruits and veggies so it should be ok to throw in the ice cream. It's the only source of processed food in my diet. I've been eating healthy for a long time, but I'm making weight gain a priority these days. So kinda feel guilty about it.

Why don't you throw up your diet and maybe we can give you some ideas. Also, I bought some Anabeta due to reviews claiming increased appetite. Will be trying it soon. Something you may want to look into.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I've started adding Sienna Bakery Cookies too, from GFS. Delicious and 120 calories each cookie, adds up well into the calories since you can easily eat several of them. Use them in my carb backloading.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have the PERFECT thing for you if you can handle sugars okay.
get those frozen bags of Berry's /fruits from the store. Put it in a blender.

Add chocolate milk plus frozen strawberries( or your choice) plus banana chuncks. This will be a great 450 to 600 calorie smoothie to store in your icebox for in between meals. Add peanut butter and there is another 95 to 190 for 1-2 table spoons.calories. Add a couple egg whites (you don't really taste them) that's 25 to 35 more calories per egg. Plus add some maltodextrin and there's 100 to 300 more calories. Protien powder will add 100 to 150 more calories.Very good, not very filling and cheap as hell

High Carb content with a little protien. All "good" or atleast "better" sugars than chocolate syrup

inda11

inda11

Awards
The problem with simple carbs are they create a insulin spike which then stores fat. As you said you need 5000+ calories to gain weight I guess you don't store fat so should be fine. Buy grounded oats. I chuck in 4 scoops which works out to be 92g of low gi carbs. Mix it with whey and a table spoon of olive oil. That would be 52g of protein. 92g of carbs. 27g of fat. Total calories = 820 calories. If you want it too be even more calories instead of water mix it all with 500ml of semi skimmed milk

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The problem with simple carbs are they create a insulin spike which then stores fat. As you said you need 5000+ calories to gain weight I guess you don't store fat so should be fine. Buy grounded oats. I chuck in 4 scoops which works out to be 92g of low gi carbs. Mix it with whey and a table spoon of olive oil. That would be 52g of protein. 92g of carbs. 27g of fat. Total calories = 820 calories. If you want it too be even more calories instead of water mix it all with 500ml of semi skimmed milk
The least likely pathway for a carb is to be stored as fat. Insulin does indeed shuttle glucose into adipocytes but it also shuttles glucose into cells for cellular work and/ or storage.
It doesn't get stored as fat until all other avenues are exhausted.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
The least likely pathway for a cab is to be stroed as fat. Inuslin does indeed shuttle glucose into adipocytes but it also shuttles glucose into cells for cellular work and/ or storage.
exactly^ unless your glycogen levels are completely full and are in a calorie surplus then carbs will be stored

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
But I do limit carbs for other reasons, but that isn't one of them :D

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe because all people react differently to different stimuli.

I weigh a whopping 167-169 and can't gain weight at less than 43-4500 and its slow gaining (a pound or two every 1-2 months)

inda11

inda11

Awards
The least likely pathway for a carb is to be stored as fat. Insulin does indeed shuttle glucose into adipocytes but it also shuttles glucose into cells for cellular work and/ or storage.
If you actually read what I said you might see I didn't say a carb would be stored as fat. In simple terms a simple sugar creates a insulin spike. Yes? Which then pulls a fatty acid into a fat cell. Yes?

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Get your thyroid checked; that is not normal even for a hard gainer. And this BS above about you have to have whole food is just that, BS. There is nothing wrong with a shake made with quality ingredients.

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sure, slam down a bunch of sugar and get diabetes. That makes sense.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sure, slam down a bunch of sugar and get diabetes. That makes sense.
You realize that by your logic those that use dextrose post workout or even gatorade will get diabetes... so not the case. Maybe do some reading on what is needed long term to put a person at risk for developing type 2 diabetes.

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok. That isn't what I meant. And the Amounts and frequency that I am assuming that he is stressing over isn't a post workout shake

Progress is my motivation...
I'm not done yet....

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I've actually read that 4 table spoons a day of extra virgin olive oil is good for you (at least according to the mediterranean diet). This would add about an extra 600 calories a day pretty easily and maybe in a healthier way than sugar. There's other problems with using sugar i have read that blood sugar spikes can actually lower testosterone also sugar itself can be addictive and has effects on the brain similar to hard drugs. I wouldn't supplement it for extra calories and if you want proof you can look up the sugar study on 60 minutes.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
If you actually read what I said you might see I didn't say a carb would be stored as fat. In simple terms a simple sugar creates a insulin spike. Yes? Which then pulls a fatty acid into a fat cell. Yes?
yes but that's not all it does is what jiigz was trying to say

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
Are these shake suggestions for during the day or as a post-workout? I only ask because I see some people suggesting peanut butter and/or olive oil. And, while great choices--I add PB to my morning shake--I had read that it's best to limit fats in a post-workout shake. Or, is this simply a matter of preference?

I add chocolate syrup to my post shake. I make a banana split, so to speak. Just started it this week. I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder, two bananas, frozen strawberries--get that ice cream consistency--some maraschino cherries, a tsp or two of vanilla extract, and the old Hershey's syrup, maybe 1tbsp at most. Blend the stupid out of it all--in phases, mind you--then chug-a-lug. Might need to add another banana or some vanilla yogurt.

While I enjoyed the convenience of waxy maize, I believe it was bloating me too much. With the change to above shake, not as bloated and feel recharged. Way back when, I used to use Serious Mass and/or Muscle Juice, but it got pricey, even dosing it halfway. Nowadays, the only powder I prefer is protein powder.

Also, you can grind up oats and add them to your shake as well. I do that for my morning one.

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are these shake suggestions for during the day or as a post-workout? I only ask because I see some people suggesting peanut butter and/or olive oil. And, while great choices--I add PB to my morning shake--I had read that it's best to limit fats in a post-workout shake. Or, is this simply a matter of preference?

I add chocolate syrup to my post shake. I make a banana split, so to speak. Just started it this week. I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder, two bananas, frozen strawberries--get that ice cream consistency--some maraschino cherries, a tsp or two of vanilla extract, and the old Hershey's syrup, maybe 1tbsp at most. Blend the stupid out of it all--in phases, mind you--then chug-a-lug. Might need to add another banana or some vanilla yogurt.

While I enjoyed the convenience of waxy maize, I believe it was bloating me too much. With the change to above shake, not as bloated and feel recharged. Way back when, I used to use Serious Mass and/or Muscle Juice, but it got pricey, even dosing it halfway. Nowadays, the only powder I prefer is protein powder.

Also, you can grind up oats and add them to your shake as well. I do that for my morning one.

There it is. Oats in your shake. More than perfect.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
Cool

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
No, fructose causes a very mild insulin repsonse; fructose is a 'simple' sugar is it not? Insulin does not necessarily cause fat storage; there is no clear evidence that sugars cause obesity. It is not as simple as you make it out to be. Whilst I do not recommend eating sugars as a primary source of carbohydrate (for reasons unrelated to obesity), they can certainly be used under certain instances and manipulated for certian functions.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yes but this guy doesn't need to know everything behind it. Need to keep it simple so he understands.
Why doesn't he need to know everything behind it? Or mechanisms involved? Learning the whole truth is better than falling victim to partial truths.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established