Supercompensation from re-feed on a cut

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to do a depletion workout before my refeed while on a cut. The intent is to gain a "super-compensating" effect, while boosting leptin to get the metabolism goin again Would it be just a waste of time to do the depletion workout because I'll drop carbs immediately afterwards,rendering the super-compensation null.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Read up on Lyle McDonalds rapid fat loss handbook or UD 2.0

Goes through this

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you're on a restricted calorie/carb diet you'll already be in a slight state of depletion and shouldn't need any further training to increase insulin sensitivity.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
If you're on a restricted calorie/carb diet you'll already be in a slight state of depletion and shouldn't need any further training to increase insulin sensitivity.

How do you know you are truly carb depleted?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, the only way to know for certain the level of muscle glycogen depletion is via a muscle biopsy. And only during extended higher intensity endurance events (marathon running above say...80% heart rate) does glycogen ever near complete depletion.

That said, in a state of caloric restriction with training (i.e.: the OP's cutting phase) muscle glycogen stores will likely be only partially full, allowing for a supra-loading with refeeding. The need to deplete or activate glut-4 with intense training (above what is already being done) probably will not accomplish any further storage.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ahhhh. Excellent.

I like my Saturday re feed days ;)

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you are exercising rigorously for MONTHS on end, very low BF % ,,chances are you will be depleted to elicit a hyper-saturating response from

abnormally high carbs for 1-2 days.

-Matt