Bpa and canned fish

belosic

belosic

Awards
Hey folks. Went to my local fish store and couldn't find any bpa free fish cans. Anyone have any suggestions?

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
i would not be worried about BPA in foods

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If the fish is canned then it shouldn't be exposed to the BPA found in plastics.

As for BPA and concerns...I think the estrogenic effects of BPA in adults is over blown. As for the effects of BPA on local conversion of inactive cortisone to cortisol in adipose and muscle tissue, that may be concerning. Although, more research is needed using plasma concentrations and exposing it to muscle fibers.

Here is my write up on BPA and how it can actually bind to cortisol receptors on muscle tissue.

Hydration, Protein Synthesis, BPA and Performance | Jason Cholewa - Strength and Conditioning Lecturer at University of Kentucky
Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

belosic

belosic

Awards
Went see my doc today and asked em about it. Told me to stay away from canned foods - says they can be linked to cancer?????

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Might want to ask for more detail, such as why?

Personally, I try to eat canned fish that are lower in mercury, such as canned salmon, sardines, mackral. The good fishy fish that are also rich in omega-3.

JDog479

Awards
Went see my doc today and asked em about it. Told me to stay away from canned foods - says they can be linked to cancer?????
The refined "whole" grains found everywhere in the store and our diet are more likely to cause cancer. Canned fish is perfectly healthy. Mercury may be a legit concern but I wouldn't worry unless you are eating them more than twice everyday.

belosic

belosic

Awards
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2531072/

Developmental exposure to bisphenol A increases prostate cancer susceptibility in adult rats: epigenetic mode of action is implicated

m.cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/68/7/2076.short

Bisphenol A Induces a Profile of Tumor Aggressiveness in High-Risk Cells from Breast Cancer Patients

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
As a male I don't feel like I should be injesting any estrogen inducing compounds if I can avoid it? The research is there that proves that BPA is estrogenic, to a significant degree as proven in the most recent research I read (which ironically was a study done by feeding test subject canned foods). Do I run my life around avoiding all called foods. No, but if its a simple choice to avoid a canned product in by simply chosing to purchase it in different packaging, then that an easy decision for me to make.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I find the effects of BPA on 17HDSA more concerning than small increases in estrogen....especially given that it can act locally at both adipose and muscle.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
As a male I don't feel like I should be injesting any estrogen inducing compounds if I can avoid it? The research is there that proves that BPA is estrogenic, to a significant degree as proven in the most recent research I read (which ironically was a study done by feeding test subject canned foods). Do I run my life around avoiding all called foods. No, but if its a simple choice to avoid a canned product in by simply chosing to purchase it in different packaging, then that an easy decision for me to make.
The amounts are what's important. How much BPA does one need to consume for these supposed effects to occur.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
The amounts are what's important. How much BPA does one need to consume for these supposed effects to occur.
Is the study eating one can of soup caused a 12 fold increase of the levels of BPA in the urine.

Agreed, a little bit I'm sure is not terribly harmful, and I dont know that the research as been done to prove just how much is too much. One could argue that any amount is too much. We are exposed to it in many more products than canned soup and I'm sure repeated exposure is much worse than a single can of soup, or fish in this discussion. My point was, if it is simple to avoid it only makes sense to me to avoid it since it has been linked to negative effects in the body.

FWIW the canned soup in the study was still within the FDA limits of BPA tocicity and we all know the FDA would never approve something that is not safe for us.

belosic

belosic

Awards
Spoke to a very well respected ER doctor today - said to stay away from bpa. period.

Just some food for thought. Hmmmmm