Grapeseed oil over Olive oil

Eddinho08

Eddinho08

Awards
I stumbled upon grapeseed oil in my local health food store and began using it. It's high in polysaturated fats. Is it worth using over olive oil? Health gurus please come at me.
I know macros are macros, but when it comes to fat, there is quality to them... Am I not right?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is the composition of the polyunsaturated fatty acids? Generally, most plant based PUFAs contain a high amount of linoleic acids, which for the majority of the population can be an issue due to an overconsumption of refined oils and w6. Stick to olive oil, as the benefits of MUFAs are quite clear.

Psychosom Med. 2007 Apr;69(3):217-24. Epub 2007 Mar 30.
[h=1]Depressive symptoms, omega-6:eek:mega-3 fatty acids, and inflammation in older adults.[/h]Kiecolt-Glaser JK, Belury MA, Porter K, Beversdorf DQ, Lemeshow S, Glaser R.
[h=3]Source[/h]Department of Psychiatry, Ohio State University College of Medicine, 1670 Upham Drive, Columbus, OH 43210, USA. [email protected]

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]OBJECTIVE:[/h]To address how interactions between polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) levels and depressive symptoms were related to proinflammatory cytokine synthesis. Depression and stress promote proinflammatory cytokine production. Dietary intakes of omega-3 (n-3) and omega-6 (n-6) PUFAs also influence inflammation; high n-6:n-3 ratios enhance proinflammatory cytokine production, although n-3 has anti-inflammatory properties.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]Blood samples from 43 older adults (mean age = 66.67 years, SD = 10.09) provided data on PUFAs and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha, interleukin (IL)-6, and IL-6 soluble receptor (sIL-6r). Depressive symptoms were assessed by the Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression Scale.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]Depressive symptoms and n-6:n-3 ratios worked together to enhance proinflammatory cytokines beyond the contribution provided by either variable alone, with substantial variance explained by their interaction: 13% for IL-6 and 31% for TNF-alpha, whereas full models accounted for 18% and 40%, respectively. Although predicted cytokine levels were consistent across n-6:n-3 ratios with low depressive symptoms, higher n-6:n-3 ratios were associated with progressively elevated TNF-alpha and IL-6 levels as depressive symptoms increased. Higher levels of sIL-6r were associated with higher n-6:n-3 ratios. Six individuals who met the criteria for major depressive disorder had higher n-6:n-3 ratios and TNF-alpha, IL-6, and sIL-6r levels than those who did not meet the criteria; excluding these six individuals reduced the variance explained by the depressive symptoms and n-6:n-3 ratio interaction.
[h=4]CONCLUSIONS:[/h]Diets with high n-6:n-3 PUFA ratios may enhance the risk for both depression and inflammatory diseases.
Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
^ good post here. also look at sunflower oil

domore

Awards
How about a little coconut talk? Lauric acid for the win.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How about a little coconut talk? Lauric acid for the win.
Coconut oil is amazing, and so versatile. When I am in a rush for preworkout energy I make this mix
2 table spoons coconut oil, melted down
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
banana and strawberries
Handful of almonds

You can also look into evening primerose oil, as it seems to be pretty cardioprotective and anti-inflammatory.

domore

Awards
Coconut oil is amazing, and so versatile. When I am in a rush for preworkout energy I make this mix
banana and strawberries
Handful of almonds

You can also look into evening primerose oil, as it seems to be pretty cardioprotective and anti-inflammatory.

For sure! I love how people freak about the saturated fats.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the one plus for grapeseed oil is that it has a higher flash point than olive oil, so if you want to do some high heat pan frying, the grapeseed works out better.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
FWIW - Costco carries "Kirkland Signature Mediterranean Blend Oil" that is made up of Canola oil (50%), Extra virgin olive oil (20%), Refined olive oil (20%), and Grape seed oil (10%).

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
the one plus for grapeseed oil is that it has a higher flash point than olive oil, so if you want to do some high heat pan frying, the grapeseed works out better.
thats why i suggested sunflower and almond oil. high smoke points :thumbsup:

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
banana and strawberries
Handful of almonds

This. Some interesting points on CS about it; tbh I kind of shrugged it off as being another product of hype but the research is convincing.

On the subject of PUFAs, omega 3's are the only ones I aim to include in my diet the rest I tend to limit. That study is interesting; another one for the library.

domore

Awards
This. Some interesting points on CS about it; tbh I kind of shrugged it off as being another product of hype but the research is convincing.

On the subject of PUFAs, omega 3's are the only ones I aim to include in my diet the rest I tend to limit. That study is interesting; another one for the library.
I've yet to look on CS to find some talk. After some talk on there, I'm actually trying to keep my omega 3s in check too.

Rhone

Awards
Somehow, EVOO gets all the hype even though it has a dangerously low smoking point and most people use most of their oil specifically for cooking.

This is why I always keep a bottle of extra light olive oil in addition to my EVOO. Extra light OO has a high smoking point, and the same monounsaturated content as EVOO, so it's a great healthy oil that's safe to cook with. Not surprisingly, I go through my ELOO faster than my EVOO..