Blood Test Results

Billman55

Billman55

Awards
So I decided to get my blood work done after about 2 years of taking a variety of different supplements and going from 185lbs to 225lbs, and no it was no steroids!! However when I received my blood work back my cholesterols were all outta wack and I was seriously confused because I've been playing Semi Pro football for the past 2 years and training 5/6 days a week. If anyone has any advice that would help get my cholesterols back in order that would be greatly appreciated...

image-732681630.jpg

Billman55

Billman55

Awards
Eat fast food RARELY maybe once every 4 months if that and drink about once a month as well...

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Eat fast food RARELY maybe once every 4 months if that and drink about once a month as well...
Yea I certainly wouldn't blame the diet immediately. Is there a family history you're aware of?

Billman55

Billman55

Awards
Yea I certainly wouldn't blame the diet immediately. Is there a family history you're aware of?
Both my parents have excellent HDL and LDL cholesterol levels however my fathers blood pressure is Alil higher than normal at times but yea both their cholesterols are normal as can be I'm almost positive from what I remember them telling me when I got my results back...

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Any chnace you are able to get a more comprehensive blood test? One that shows LDL particle size as opposed to just overall LDL? Theres alot of contradictory evidence surrounding overall LDL: heres some articles + studies; Johns Hopkins: Heart Health on LDL cholesterol particle size: Special Reports

Doctors know that small, dense LDL-particles are a better predictor of CVD: LDL Particle Number and Risk of Future Cardio... [J Clin Lipidol. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
and that the risk of small dense particles increases with an increased in triglycerides: Change in LDL particle size is associate... [Arterioscler Thromb. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI

LDL-C and total cholesterol have never been particularly good predictors of who will develop clogged arteries. However, total cholesterol strongly correlates with all cause mortality risk. For example, as total cholesterol rises above 240, there appears to be some increased risk for cardiovascular disease. As total cholesterol drops below 200 there is a steep rise in mortality from infections, parasites, and cancers and increased risk of violent death. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/O-Primitivo-Cholesterol.jpg

Unfortunately, last I heard, the American Heart Association was still recommending that total cholesterol be artificially depressed below 200 to decrease risk of heart attack. theheart.org: trusted cardiology news and opinions

Yet researchers at Texas A&M university found that higher LDL levels predicted greater gains in muscle mass in a strength training study involving 60 to 69-year-old males. 'Bad' cholesterol not as bad as people think, shows Texas A&M study

Hopefully, the LDL particle size issue will help exonerate total cholesterol and get saturated fats off the hook for heart disease. LDL Cholesterol – Ron Krauss MD | Me and My Diabetes After all, saturated fats have very little effect on total cholesterol compared to other dietary factors. theheart.org: trusted cardiology news and opinions

HDL could be higher though, but it is only just outside the reference range.

Billman55

Billman55

Awards
This was extremely helpful thank you very much, I will definitely get a more comprehensive exam next visit and although I didn't get to read all the articles you suggested, the information you provided makes perfect sense in that my triglyceride levels were also elevated in that I rarely eat fast foods in which would mainly cause high triglyceride numbers. Therefore if I get a more thorough exam I would be able to see if the particle size of my LDL cholesterol was also effecting my triglyceride numbers...again thank you.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your HDL is slightly out of range but not sure if it is enough to be of a concern. I wouldn't worry over your total cholesterol. Where is your trig level out? That is usually indicitive of the type of LDL particle that is dominant. When you go back to doc ask for a VAP test that way you have an article measurement of LDL as well as particle size.

I would suggest you try and lower simple carbs and overall carb intake for a while. Also give IF or ADF a shot for a little bit. Dietary intervention is always the best step to take first IMO

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did they show you your iron levels?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I second the dropping of carb intake to just what is needed for training and nothing more (or not much more). Ketones are more than capable of provding an energy source for your brain and cellular energy during periods of rest or N.E.A.T (non exercise activity thermogenesis).

Are you currently taking any supplements? If diet is in check then perhaps you have some confounders affecting cholesterol transport and therefore influencing the results of your blood test. IMO (and this is my opinion) statin therapy isn't really a viable option as this lowers LDL-C but does not increase the particle sizes of LDL (small LDL particles are very bad) and therefore may not actually do much overall. The best course is dietaray intervention to lower your triglycerides and perhaps identify any potential confounders.

Billman55

Billman55

Awards
Your HDL is slightly out of range but not sure if it is enough to be of a concern. I wouldn't worry over your total cholesterol. Where is your trig level out? That is usually indicitive of the type of LDL particle that is dominant. When you go back to doc ask for a VAP test that way you have an article measurement of LDL as well as particle size.

I would suggest you try and lower simple carbs and overall carb intake for a while. Also give IF or ADF a shot for a little bit. Dietary intervention is always the best step to take first IMO

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
My Trig level was about 30-40 points out of range as well, but thank you I go back to the doctor in about 3 weeks I will definitely ask for a VAP test thank u

Billman55

Billman55

Awards
I second the dropping of carb intake to just what is needed for training and nothing more (or not much more). Ketones are more than capable of provding an energy source for your brain and cellular energy during periods of rest or N.E.A.T (non exercise activity thermogenesis).

Are you currently taking any supplements? If diet is in check then perhaps you have some confounders affecting cholesterol transport and therefore influencing the results of your blood test. IMO (and this is my opinion) statin therapy isn't really a viable option as this lowers LDL-C but does not increase the particle sizes of LDL (small LDL particles are very bad) and therefore may not actually do much overall. The best course is dietaray intervention to lower your triglycerides and perhaps identify any potential confounders.
Just taking White flood as of now, when I got the blood work done however I was taking white flood and mutant mass...