Sleep until rested or recommended dose?

ryoung0588

Awards
Hey everyone,

I have a quick question, does anyone else seem to feel better with less sleep? Between work and school there are nights that I can only get a couple hours of sleep and what I've noticed over the past few years is that I feel at my best (energy/mood) when I have 6hrs exactly.

Now I've been trying to get more serious about lifting over the past few months and started shooting for the full 8 when I can but that tends to lead to enormous amounts of caffeine and a hit to my diet. should I just go with what feels best (6) or push through for the "doctor recommended"?

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sleep is important, but is only 1 aspect of a big picture. If 2 extra hours is going to hinder other important factors, then don't bother. Just keep your sleep patterns regular, do what feels natural/right and focus on everything else. I doubt you would see much of a difference between 6 hours and 8 hours(in respect to muscle gain/fat loss).

It's more about a healthy balance, lifestyle changes and consistency IMO.

ryoung0588

Awards
Thank you, pretty much what I assumed but wanted some reassurance.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll take sleep quality over quantity. I usually get 8-9 hours of sleep, but if I only get 5-7 without any disturbances, I feel the same as the 8-9.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Many contributing factors when it comes to quality of sleep, but assuming I'm not stressed out or eatting like garbage, I can be golden on 6 hrs a night. I usually can tell when I'm rested.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I'll take sleep quality over quantity. I usually get 8-9 hours of sleep, but if I only get 5-7 without any disturbances, I feel the same as the 8-9.
pretty much this