Great Lent diet leaving me without Protein. Need Diet help.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
First of I'd like to give a shout out to all the users on AM, this place frekking rocks.(better than BB any day)

For my first post here I'd like to ask some advice about how to better my protein intake during the Great Lent.
Great Lent in Eastern Orthodox Christianity is a 40 day period of time where the faithful followers fast/diet. The diet is called "strict diet". It's called that because one must give up eating all animal products(meet, cheese, milk....etc). Also the strict diet restricts believers the use of oil to 2 days a week(Saturday & Sunday).

This puts me into a dilemma because I won't be able to drink protein shakes or eat meat to make up for the lack of protein.
How can I maximize my protein intake during these 40 days? I usually drink a shake right after working out(Iso-100) and a shake at night(casein). Also I probly consume about 30grams of protein from food a day as well.

I've looked into diets posted online and some on here, but I just don't see anything that Might work for me.
I'm 208 lbs currently and I would like to be 200(not less) by the end of Lent. In the 40 day period of past fasts I've lost over 20 lbs. I'm not trying to lose too much either.

Thank you everyone in advanced!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So basically vegan for a month?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
Yeah, basically vegan. But a little bit stricter because your not allowed to use any sort of oil throughout the week. So you can't fry Anything during the week.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can go with a rice/wheat/pea protein powder. Also for solid food, quinoa has a pretty nice protein profile for a plant product

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
I'm afraid that my weight at the gym might go down If I don't eat the usual beef and pork steaks and eggs.
It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make though. I don't think ill be able to run off of wheat and rice though. Will I start to cut or lose weight if I don't get sufficient amount of protein?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Why no oil? Just curious to the reasoning behind that as lots of oils come from plants. Are products containing oils out? E.g. peanut butter/ almond butter etc.?

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
Why no oil? Just curious to the reasoning behind that as lots of oils come from plants. Are products containing oils out? E.g. peanut butter/ almond butter etc.?
I'm guessing they'd be only permitted on the weekends. Truthfully that I don't know. You bring up a good point. My guess is that if you we're to make peanut butter you'd have too make it 100% without adding foreign oils. I'd have to ask our local cleric about this.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm afraid that my weight at the gym might go down If I don't eat the usual beef and pork steaks and eggs.
It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make though. I don't think ill be able to run off of wheat and rice though. Will I start to cut or lose weight if I don't get sufficient amount of protein?
I'm not talking about eating wheat and rice, but protein powders from wheat and rice + peas. Over time you'll lose muscle mass if you don't get in enough protein yes.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
I'm not talking about eating wheat and rice, but protein powders from wheat and rice + peas. Over time you'll lose muscle mass if you don't get in enough protein yes.
Word. I had no clue there are wheat and rice proteins. Will complete nutrition or vitamin shoppe carry it? Or should I order it online. What could I replace casein with? And will/can I potentially lose weight of my bench from being deficient in protein?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Word. I had no clue there are wheat and rice proteins. Will complete nutrition or vitamin shoppe carry it? Or should I order it online. What could I replace casein with? And will/can I potentially lose weight of my bench from being deficient in protein?
theres a pretty good variety of plant based powders out there in most of the stores, but pricing is better online. Up to you whether soy is acceptable or not, people's opinions vary. most of the plant based have a digestion profile somewhere in the middle of whey + casein, so you should be fine there. Odds are fair that unless you are way under on protein and at the same time not getting enough total calories in you'll lose on your bench. but if protein is even close and total calories are still high you shouldn't over the span of lent.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hemp and pumpkin seeds are really high on protein

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards