Pre workout meal

whaz

whaz

Awards
I've been doing some research and everything I read seems to contradict the last thing that I read. I am looking for some help on my preworkout meals, mainly pre cardio. Pre- lifting I usually mix 2 whole eggs with approx 4 eggs worth of egg whites and have a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with raisins and dried cranberries then hit the gym 2 hours later. Pre cardio - which I do a HIIT routine swimming laps, I usually just have the oatmeal and sometimes an apple, and a cup of coffee then begin cardio about 1 and 1/2 hours later. Is this an effective meal to eat before cardio if my goal is fat loss? I've been reading up on fasted cardio and it seems half the people swear by it and the other half say it makes no difference except you'll burn more muscle. Can anyone shed some light on this for me or direct me to somewhere that I can find out myself? Thanks guys.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would not do cardio on empty stomach. If doing only cardio for fat loss I'd stick with protein (egg white in your case) and no carb. But losing fat is much more than a preworkout meal.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you are going to take in carbs before cardio, you may as well take in protein too

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been doing some research and everything I read seems to contradict the last thing that I read. I am looking for some help on my preworkout meals, mainly pre cardio. Pre- lifting I usually mix 2 whole eggs with approx 4 eggs worth of egg whites and have a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with raisins and dried cranberries then hit the gym 2 hours later. Pre cardio - which I do a HIIT routine swimming laps, I usually just have the oatmeal and sometimes an apple, and a cup of coffee then begin cardio about 1 and 1/2 hours later. Is this an effective meal to eat before cardio if my goal is fat loss? I've been reading up on fasted cardio and it seems half the people swear by it and the other half say it makes no difference except you'll burn more muscle. Can anyone shed some light on this for me or direct me to somewhere that I can find out myself? Thanks guys.
Treat your pre cardio meal like your pre workout (especially if you're doing HIIT). Also, I would not do fasted cardio unless you are doing LISS and hae a lot of fat to lose. Personally, I like HIIT with a session of MISS.

mpucciitm

Awards
Fasted cardio is not something I would ever do, its the fastest way to lose fat and muscle! It doesn't matter what you eat before specifically as long as you have enough carbs to get you through your workout you'll be fine. If fat loss is the goal as long as you're in a deficit you will lose weight

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
fasted lifting or cardio will not make you lose muscle. but if you do try to consume 5-10g bcaa prior to your workout