Extreme carb cycling for simultaneous muscle gain and fat loss

supbrah

Awards
this is a program I have perfected over the last few months that has worked very well for both myself as well as several others on another forum.

If followed consistently you will gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously, although you will bottom out at 7-8% bodyfat. The program is based upon being in a calorie surplus (high calorie, high carb) for 5 days before cutting calories and carbs to very low levels to facilitate fat loss.

this program is very specific in both nutrition and training and thus both parts of the program must be on point for success.

Monday - Upper body - High carb diet 600 calories above maintenance

Tuesday - Lower body - same

Wednesday - Upper body - same

Thursday - Low body - same Friday

- Rest - High/moderate carb 200 calories above maintenance

Saturday - Cardio or Rest (No weight training) - low carb diet (less than 100 grams carbs) - very low calorie: 100-200 calories above BMR (about 12x bodyweight) 1600-2000 calories for most males, 1200-1500 for females

Sunday - repeat saturday

Recent research has shown that the human body can shift from a mainly anabolic (muscle building) state to a mainly lypolytic (fat burning) state in less than 24 hours. Monday through Thursday you eat a high carb, high calorie diet and train heavily, promoting anabolism. Protein synthesis is increased for roughly 36 hours after exercise and thus Friday allows you to recover and grow from the week's workouts.

By Saturday morning protein synthesis is back to baseline levels and thus cutting calories drastically will not hurt recovery and muscle growth.

Cutting carbs and calories down to very low levels will stimulate very rapid fat loss.

This is compounded by high thyroid and leptin levels from the 5 days of overfeeding. Keeping calories above your BMR will keep you metabolism funtional while burning fat. The fact that the cutting portion is only 2 days will keep your muscle in place as muscle is very difficult to lose in as few as 2 days.

While this program is not magic it will allow you to gain 2 to 3 pounds per month while simultaneously losing fat.

A good friend went from 165-170 in eight weeks while cutting his bodyfat from 12% to 8%.

This program has yet to be perfected and thus I am open to suggestions on how to improve it

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
hmmmm sounds interesting.

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
this is a program I have perfected over the last few months that has worked very well for both myself as well as several others on another forum.

If followed consistently you will gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously, although you will bottom out at 7-8% bodyfat. The program is based upon being in a calorie surplus (high calorie, high carb) for 5 days before cutting calories and carbs to very low levels to facilitate fat loss.

this program is very specific in both nutrition and training and thus both parts of the program must be on point for success.

Monday - Upper body - High carb diet 600 calories above maintenance

Tuesday - Lower body - same

Wednesday - Upper body - same

Thursday - Low body - same Friday

- Rest - High/moderate carb 200 calories above maintenance

Saturday - Cardio or Rest (No weight training) - low carb diet (less than 100 grams carbs) - very low calorie: 100-200 calories above BMR (about 12x bodyweight) 1600-2000 calories for most males, 1200-1500 for females

Sunday - repeat saturday

Recent research has shown that the human body can shift from a mainly anabolic (muscle building) state to a mainly lypolytic (fat burning) state in less than 24 hours. Monday through Thursday you eat a high carb, high calorie diet and train heavily, promoting anabolism. Protein synthesis is increased for roughly 36 hours after exercise and thus Friday allows you to recover and grow from the week's workouts.

By Saturday morning protein synthesis is back to baseline levels and thus cutting calories drastically will not hurt recovery and muscle growth.

Cutting carbs and calories down to very low levels will stimulate very rapid fat loss.

This is compounded by high thyroid and leptin levels from the 5 days of overfeeding. Keeping calories above your BMR will keep you metabolism funtional while burning fat. The fact that the cutting portion is only 2 days will keep your muscle in place as muscle is very difficult to lose in as few as 2 days.

While this program is not magic it will allow you to gain 2 to 3 pounds per month while simultaneously losing fat.

A good friend went from 165-170 in eight weeks while cutting his bodyfat from 12% to 8%.

This program has yet to be perfected and thus I am open to suggestions on how to improve it
I also think is sounds interesting but can I ask about your Tuesday and Thursday lower body days? I'm assuming not the same excersises? I think I might be way to sore to hit anything significant 2 days later?

supbrah

Awards
I also think is sounds interesting but can I ask about your Tuesday and Thursday lower body days? I'm assuming not the same excersises? I think I might be way to sore to hit anything significant 2 days later?
Yes different excersises
You would isolate the leg muscles for different days
Ex. Hams on one.day quads on the other etc.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
squats on day 1 and deads on day 2. i use to squat heavy day 1 and use secondaries day 2

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds like an inverse UD 2.0 (kinda). :D

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes it basically is or an inverse anabolic diet
Sounds solid to me. I never really do the typical "bulk" and always have some sort of caloric variance from day to day (usually CHO intake), so I like the layout of this.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
how are your workouts on monday after 2 days on such low calories though that woudl be my only issue , other than that i like it

supbrah

Awards
how are your workouts on monday after 2 days on such low calories though that woudl be my only issue , other than that i like it
Still making new PRs every week and just get in a lot of carbs before your workout and you should be fine

supbrah

Awards
Think it could work for a woman for far loss?
Yes this definately works with women, but if you just are looking for pure fat loss I.recomend doing a more fat loss oriented diet

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
It does sound v interesting. I've been following the opposite at the moment, lower calories during the week when training and higher calories at the weekend when resting. I know it sounds counter intuitive but I find compliance easier to a diet when at work. I also feel replenished and ready to hit the workouts on Monday after rest and a refeed. I don't know if I could go through an entire weekend of low calories whilst at home with the family!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Interested in this, when you say "high carb"/"low carb" would that be like 2 g cho/lb for high and .25 g cho/lb for low carb?

Edit: okay I see the low carb recommondation but what about the high carb?

supbrah

Awards
It does sound v interesting. I've been following the opposite at the moment, lower calories during the week when training and higher calories at the weekend when resting. I know it sounds counter intuitive but I find compliance easier to a diet when at work. I also feel replenished and ready to hit the workouts on Monday after rest and a refeed. I don't know if I could go through an entire weekend of low calories whilst at home with the family!
This is where your dedication is put to the test, I personally find it better low calorie during the weekend so I don't have to worry much about eating and to Get other things done

supbrah

Awards
Interested in this, when you say "high carb"/"low carb" would that be like 2 g cho/lb for high and .25 g cho/lb for low carb?

Edit: okay I see the low carb recommondation but what about the high carb?
I personally just eat .4 x bw for fats and 1.2 x bw for protein, I just filll the rest for carbs and some extra protein, but yea I would say I get 2x~3x grams per pound, for the low carb days one should eat under 100 grams, I personally.keep it as low as possible

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I personally just eat .4 x bw for fats and 1.2 x bw for protein, I just filll the rest for carbs and some extra protein, but yea I would say I get 2x~3x grams per pound, for the low carb days one should eat under 100 grams, I personally.keep it as low as possible
Got it boss. I'll probably go .5 fats because I love fat but I might give it a go here after vacation

tshaw024

Awards
What do your macros look like on the high calorie days...? I.e. how many times bodyweight, and protein, carb, fat ratios???

nemix

Awards
So been about 2 months since this thread started, anyone try this out? I'm looking to start it after my cut in about a month