Any Advice?

bfrnwr96

bfrnwr96

Awards
What's up Gents? I am looking for some advice on keeping as much muscle mass as possible without being able to lift. I had surgery yesterday to repair an inguinal hernia and therefore will be out of commission in the gym for at least 3-4 weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to preserve my current muscle mass while unable to lift? Obviously, I know it's impossible to not lose any, but want to keep it to as little as possible. Specifically I'm wondering what my macros should look like and what, if any, supplementation should I look at? Is it even worth continuing whey and creatine supplemetation? Any advice is appreciated...Thanks.

vassille

Awards
I have a very easy time holding on to muscle on a low carb diet with plenty of protein. Secret is that without carbs insulin runs lower and HGH tends to stay higher which preserves muscle mass nicely plus as a bonus you will heal faster too.

bfrnwr96

bfrnwr96

Awards
I have a very easy time holding on to muscle on a low carb diet with plenty of protein. Secret is that without carbs insulin runs lower and HGH tends to stay higher which preserves muscle mass nicely plus as a bonus you will heal faster too.
Thanks that's helpful. Would there be any reason to continue taking creatine without be able to lift?

vassille

Awards
np bro,
I'd say no. Now is a good time to cycle off creatine and let the body heal and rest.

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
Thanks that's helpful. Would there be any reason to continue taking creatine without be able to lift?
Eat a healthy balanced diet at maintenance cals. No need to be concerned about low carbs. Any size lost will be negligible over 4 weeks, and muscle memory will get you back very quickly.

bfrnwr96

bfrnwr96

Awards
Yeah. I guess it's more of a mental thing for me. I don't like going 3 or 4 days without lifting much less 4 weeks. I feel like I will starting at square one by then. Would just like to maintain without putting on fat. Thanks for the input fellas.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Yeah. I guess it's more of a mental thing for me. I don't like going 3 or 4 days without lifting much less 4 weeks. I feel like I will starting at square one by then. Would just like to maintain without putting on fat. Thanks for the input fellas.
What type of surgery did you get? Just curious. I had an inguinal hernia repaired via laproscopy and a mesh patch, this was about 6 years ago. To this day that spot will still flare up with pain with certain movements.

bfrnwr96

bfrnwr96

Awards
What type of surgery did you get? Just curious. I had an inguinal hernia repaired via laproscopy and a mesh patch, this was about 6 years ago. To this day that spot will still flare up with pain with certain movements.
Nice. That's a bit discouraging. I had it the same way. Laparoscopic with mesh.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Nice. That's a bit discouraging. I had it the same way. Laparoscopic with mesh.
Yeah they went in thru my belly button and stapled the mesh in place.

I haven't looked into it since i had mine done, maybe the procedure has advanced since then. It feels like it get irritated (like a pulling sensation) or maybe some nerve damage in the area or something. Never severe, but it will definitely remind me that it is there.

It usually only happens during squats anymore, but i'd say at least one set a month is interrupted by it. For instance last week it hit during a set, reracked the weight, waited a second and tried again - no pain then or the rest of the session

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
Id shoot for just keeping your weight up, rather than worrying about muscle while your not training. If you can keep your weight the same then when you get back to training your body will re set itself muscularly.

bfrnwr96

bfrnwr96

Awards
Id shoot for just keeping your weight up, rather than worrying about muscle while your not training. If you can keep your weight the same then when you get back to training your body will re set itself muscularly.
Thanks man. Yeah it's been over a week and haven't been able to lift so much as my two year old son. My weight hasn't really changed but definitely losing some firmness and definition. I guess from coming off creatine combined with doing nothing. Oh well I guess there really isn't much you can do about it. I will just keep eating clean until I'm cleared.