Love steak but my stomach hates it

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I rarely eat red meat. I keep it to a 1-2 servings a week and when I do eat it I like to treat myself with a steak. Only problem is when I eat a steak I'm likely going to spend the rest of the night running to the bathroom every 20 minutes to paint the toilet. Hamburgers tend to mess me up to so almost never eat those and the only time any kind of beef seems to agree with me is in pho, which is a Vietnamese soup I eat once a week. Don't know why that doesn't mess me up, it could be because its got alot of good herbs and spices in it that help break down the meat, who knows. Anyway my point is I'd like to hear if anyone else has red meat issues and how you bypass them if at all possible without having to give it all up. Ways of preparing it or even quality maybe .

P.s. I'm stuck on the toilet writing this after a delicious 10oz NY strip I grilled up :-(

Zatek

Awards
Unless you have some sort of rare medical condition, it's not the meat causing your issues. Meat is one of the few foods your body can produce its own enzymes to digest, as opposed to waiting for bacteria in your gut to break it down like it does with most non-animal products. Maybe try eating a steak with no added spices\condiments and see what happens? That will let you know if it is the meat, or something you're putting on it. You could also try getting meat from a different source.

TurnKey

TurnKey

Awards
In the Warrior Diet the author talks about how the Romans would cook their meal in a large cauldron for a couple hours which was practical for them but, had the added benefit of making the meal easy to digest. You can recreate this using a slow cooker or cooking the meal in glassware in the oven for an hour. He makes use of chicken stock and crushed tomatoes along with spices and veggies to cook the meat in.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Unless you have some sort of rare medical condition, it's not the meat causing your issues. Meat is one of the few foods your body can produce its own enzymes to digest, as opposed to waiting for bacteria in your gut to break it down like it does with most non-animal products. Maybe try eating a steak with no added spices\condiments and see what happens? That will let you know if it is the meat, or something you're putting on it. You could also try getting meat from a different source.
I usually get meat from Kroger. I season it with salt n pepper and if I use a condiment it's A1. Those ingredients by themselves don't cause it. Maybe it is the source. Next time ill hit a butcher shop.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
use a crockpot to cook beef into stewlike condition, you may have an easier time digesting it that way.