Beginner help

riseabove5

riseabove5

Awards
I've been lifting and supplementing for awhile, but supplements and lifting won't get you anything with a bad diet. I've been trying to start a bulking diet and I've been with it for approx. 3 weeks and I can't see any difference. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just expecting things too early. I'm 6'0 at 170.

My diet
In the morning I eat oat meal with an apple or banana with fish oil. with usplabs test powder and 3 caps of prime

Whey protein shake a couple hours later

Lunch
2 chicken sandwiches with carrots and spinach with 2 prime

Pre workout
1 cap of kre alk. efx pro, 2 prime, 1 scoop of c4 mixed with 4 no3 caps

Aftershock recovery with an apple or banana

Dinner
2 beef patties, fruit, fish oil, 2 prime

Before bed
Casein shake

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
So how many calories is that? If you aren't gaining any weight with that add 500 more calories. You'll also want to aim for around 1g protein per bodyweight, 0.5g fat per bodyweight and fill the rest in with carbs. General rule

riseabove5

riseabove5

Awards
So how many calories is that? If you aren't gaining any weight with that add 500 more calories. You'll also want to aim for around 1g protein per bodyweight, 0.5g fat per bodyweight and fill the rest in with carbs. General rule
What are some other foods I should include to give me those calories? I'm allergic to peanuts and I know they are a good source so I need an alternative

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I've definitely been in your shoes as a beginner and I can relate as to what you are thinking *atleast I think*. Your just overthinking it. Eat 500 calories of whatever you want. Best bet is to add up what you are currently eating and see where you are at. Count your pro/fat/carbs as well

DV663

DV663

Awards
how about adding a weight gainer in there, easy way to add an extra 1,000 cals to your diet

riseabove5

riseabove5

Awards
I've definitely been in your shoes as a beginner and I can relate as to what you are thinking *atleast I think*. Your just overthinking it. Eat 500 calories of whatever you want. Best bet is to add up what you are currently eating and see where you are at. Count your pro/fat/carbs as well
Thanks man

Russianog

Russianog

Awards
what's your source for food, do you cook it at home or ?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
This. That doesn't seem like a lot of calories for somebody trying to bulk.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Research and learn how to count your macros,this will help you greatly.The meals you layed out are no where near what a bulk should consist of,I easily eat close to that or more by lunch time when I am bulking.

riseabove5

riseabove5

Awards
Research and learn how to count your macros,this will help you greatly.The meals you layed out are no where near what a bulk should consist of,I easily eat close to that or more by lunch time when I am bulking.
Really? What do you eat on a average day?

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Really? What do you eat on a average day?
I am not being rude but not going to break down my meal intake,but as I said before look into learning about tracking your macros.As far as calories,when I am bulking I hit 4000+ no questions asked.

riseabove5

riseabove5

Awards
I am not being rude but not going to break down my meal intake,but as I said before look into learning about tracking your macros.As far as calories,when I am bulking I hit 4000+ no questions asked.
No prob bro. I didn't really prepare myself as well as I should have. I'm just having a difficult time figuring out what to eat and when.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
No prob bro. I didn't really prepare myself as well as I should have. I'm just having a difficult time figuring out what to eat and when.
It doesn't really matter when you eat. Just try to get the 1g protein x BW and 0.5g fat x BW, then fill the rest in with carbs or more protein. I can bulk on 3k calories but right now i'm at 2.5k maintaining weight at 180, btw 5'10". I keep it very simple *aka same thing everyday* because I don't mind eating the same thing everyday. It's easier for me that way:

Meal 1
Rice - Brown, long-grain, cooked, 1 cup21645g2g5g0mg10mg1g4g
Prego Traditional - Spaghetti Sauce, 1/2 cup8011g3g2g0mg470mg7g3g
Barilla - Whole Wheat Thin Spaghetti, 3 oz.30062g2g11g0mg15mg3g9g
Beef - Ground, 90% lean meat / 10% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 2 serving ( 3 oz )3910g20g48g151mg148mg0g0g
Meal 2
Rice - Brown, long-grain, cooked, 1 cup21645g2g5g0mg10mg1g4g
Prego Traditional - Spaghetti Sauce, 1/2 cup8011g3g2g0mg470mg7g3g
Barilla - Whole Wheat Thin Spaghetti, 3 oz.30062g2g11g0mg15mg3g9g
Beef - Ground, 90% lean meat / 10% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 2 serving ( 3 oz )3910g20g48g151mg148mg0g0g
Meal 3
Protein - Protein Shake, 2 scoop2806g5g54g140mg340mg6g0g
Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 2 cup24423g10g16g39mg200mg25g0g
TOTAL:2,498265g69g202g481mg1,826mg53g32g

I'm also on the intermittent fasting protocol, where I try to eat all of this within an 8 hour window...normally I finish within 4-6 hours

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
It doesn't really matter when you eat. Just try to get the 1g protein x BW and 0.5g fat x BW, then fill the rest in with carbs or more protein. I can bulk on 3k calories but right now i'm at 2.5k maintaining weight at 180, btw 5'10". I keep it very simple *aka same thing everyday* because I don't mind eating the same thing everyday. It's easier for me that way:

Meal 1
Rice - Brown, long-grain, cooked, 1 cup
45g
2g
5g
0mg
10mg
1g
4g
Prego Traditional - Spaghetti Sauce, 1/2 cup
11g
3g
2g
0mg
470mg
7g
3g
Barilla - Whole Wheat Thin Spaghetti, 3 oz.
62g
2g
11g
0mg
15mg
3g
9g
Beef - Ground, 90% lean meat / 10% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 2 serving ( 3 oz )
0g
20g
48g
151mg
148mg
0g
0g
Meal 2
Rice - Brown, long-grain, cooked, 1 cup
45g
2g
5g
0mg
10mg
1g
4g
Prego Traditional - Spaghetti Sauce, 1/2 cup
11g
3g
2g
0mg
470mg
7g
3g
Barilla - Whole Wheat Thin Spaghetti, 3 oz.
62g
2g
11g
0mg
15mg
3g
9g
Beef - Ground, 90% lean meat / 10% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 2 serving ( 3 oz )
0g
20g
48g
151mg
148mg
0g
0g
Meal 3
Protein - Protein Shake, 2 scoop
6g
5g
54g
140mg
340mg
6g
0g
Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 2 cup
23g
10g
16g
39mg
200mg
25g
0g
TOTAL:
265g
69g
202g
481mg
1,826mg
53g
32g

I'm also on the intermittent fasting protocol, where I try to eat all of this within an 8 hour window...normally I finish within 4-6 hours
I can see why you might say it doesnt matter what you eat,as some people dont care to do a dirty bulk.The calories do still need to be as clean as possible within reason,he needs to watch his sugars and sodium and all the common bad things we all know of.I could go on a dirty bulk and gain an unheard of amount of weight,but who wants to gain all that bad weight,the cleaner his diet the cleaner his gains.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Try not to worry so much about timing. Just get in your total cals for the day. Have you tried to determine your TDEE?

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you on that it matters what you eat, I had said when though. Definitely keep the foods you eat clean, real foods will keep you full and allow you to eat more. Hell, I could be eating 24oz of chicken a day and hit the same amount of calories than the 12oz of beef.

For the OP, check out myfitness pal. It made figuring out my diet so much easier because of the amount of data they have collected on the nutritional values of like every food. I was reluctant at first to try something new out, but dam it made life sooooo much easier.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
I agree with you on that it matters what you eat, I had said when though. Definitely keep the foods you eat clean, real foods will keep you full and allow you to eat more. Hell, I could be eating 24oz of chicken a day and hit the same amount of calories than the 12oz of beef.

For the OP, check out myfitness pal. It made figuring out my diet so much easier because of the amount of data they have collected on the nutritional values of like every food. I was reluctant at first to try something new out, but dam it made life sooooo much easier.
My appologies,I simply misread your post.