Paleo: Should we really be avoiding wheat?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Ah, the reason I went gluten free. Good read as per usual.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That sure is tough to read being half Italian. Ideally I'd like to try going gluten free for a while but I just don't know how I'd maintain lol.

Like jiggzz said, as always, thank you Jason

- Valdez

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm half Italian...not phased by the news. Try and avoid it as much as possible

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm half Italian...not phased by the news. Try and avoid it as much as possible

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App
Well if you can avoid pasta you must also be half crazy lol!

- Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With all of the talk on food allergens (milk controversy lol) and gluten intolerance, I went to a GI doc for my acid reflux. Being a long time stubborn, set in my ways guy, I have always discounted gluten intolerance as being more or less a fad. That being said, with symptoms I have been presenting with for 7+ years apparently I may have celiac disease lol. Funny how the world works, eh?

I went in for an extensive blood test- food allergen panel, thyroid check, celiac, the whole gamut... We shall soon see if I may being going gluten free.

Also, Jason, in your article you said that the only accurate way to test for celiac disease is with an intestine biopsy. What is the reasoning behind this? Is a blood test not going to give an accurate reading?

- Valdez

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With all of the talk on food allergens (milk controversy lol) and gluten intolerance, I went to a GI doc for my acid reflux. Being a long time stubborn, set in my ways guy, I have always discounted gluten intolerance as being more or less a fad. That being said, with symptoms I have been presenting with for 7+ years apparently I may have celiac disease lol. Funny how the world works, eh?

I went in for an extensive blood test- food allergen panel, thyroid check, celiac, the whole gamut... We shall soon see if I may being going gluten free.

Also, Jason, in your article you said that the only accurate way to test for celiac disease is with an intestine biopsy. What is the reasoning behind this? Is a blood test not going to give an accurate reading?

- Valdez
Good question, most of the tests done in the literature were serological. I could be wrong though, and I am sure there are biomarkers available in the blood. I am not sure if the IgG anti-gliadin and the host of other immureactants enter the circulation following gluten consumption. Good question, I should look into that an update!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

- Valdez
A couple of weeks ago I ate all the wheat and milk I could stomach; after reading up on them, including this, I decided to stop and see how my body reacted. I thought I had zero bloating then; now its a whole other story and I feel more comfortable. Crazy.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A couple of weeks ago I ate all the wheat and milk I could stomach; after reading up on them, including this, I decided to stop and see how my body reacted. I thought I had zero bloating then; now its a whole other story and I feel more comfortable. Crazy.
Good to hear. I was going to ask you how that's been going. I'm noticing the same as well.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm debating giving it a try. Trying to sort out where the F I'll get all my carbs from lol!

- Valdez

LikeClockwork

LikeClockwork

Awards
I'm debating giving it a try. Trying to sort out where the F I'll get all my carbs from lol!

- Valdez
Same here. I'm thinking potatoes and rice. And then some more potatoes and rice.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

- Valdez
Try 6 weeks and see if it makes a notible difference; white rice and potatoes (as mentioned) are good options. Fruits, vegetables, and so on. Then depending on your stance concerning dairy it can widen up the playing field.

Although i'm now going lactose free so I just drink lactose free milk haha

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Good to hear. I was going to ask you how that's been going. I'm noticing the same as well.
Yeah its been going much better than I thought, to be honest I didn't expect much change so its been quite a suprise. Although it does limit my food choices compared to what I was used to beforehand.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established

- Valdez
Been gluten free for about 3 weeks and I feel great, im not bloated anymore, and I actually feel more energetic, im also going dairy free.

Some carb alternatives for you, that I can think of off the top of my head are polenta, potato, rice, quinoa,and oats.

There are also a lot of gluten free flours to make breads.

I have really bad acid reflux too, had it for ten years and like you I was stubern and didnt want to change my diet. But when I did I was very surprised in how much it helped, I now have it where I wont get an attack for up to a week or so at a time.

Sent from the black van infront of your house.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try 6 weeks and see if it makes a notible difference; white rice and potatoes (as mentioned) are good options. Fruits, vegetables, and so on. Then depending on your stance concerning dairy it can widen up the playing field.

Although i'm now going lactose free so I just drink lactose free milk haha
I'm definitely considering it. I think I'll wait for my food allergen panel to come back and knock them all out in one shot. I can't give up dairy and pasta bro... take it easy bro! One thing at a time lol! Are you going to tell your kids all in one sitting that Santa, the tooth fairy, and Easter bunny aren't real all in one sitting??? Jeez, Dick ;)

Been gluten free for about 3 weeks and I feel great, im not bloated anymore, and I actually feel more energetic, im also going dairy free.

Some carb alternatives for you, that I can think of off the top of my head are polenta, potato, rice, quinoa,and oats.

There are also a lot of gluten free flours to make breads.

I have really bad acid reflux too, had it for ten years and like you I was stubern and didnt want to change my diet. But when I did I was very surprised in how much it helped, I now have it where I wont get an attack for up to a week or so at a time.

Why are you in a van in front of my house? You know we're packing heat in AZ right??? Tread lightly sir ;)

- Valdez

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

- Valdez
Red and sweet potatoes, white rice, jasmine rice, basmati rice and fruit (mango, pineapple, bananas, berries, etc)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Red and sweet potatoes, white rice, jasmine rice, basmati rice and fruit (mango, pineapple, bananas, berries, etc)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
Jasmine is the god of rices so great.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

No brown rice? A reason why?

- Valdez

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Beside the fact that brown rice is disgusting?

White rice has no trypsin inhibitor nor does it contain phytin, while bown rice contains both of these. White rice is basically just pure starch.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Beside the fact that brown rice is disgusting?

White rice has no trypsin inhibitor nor does it contain phytin, while bown rice contains both of these. White rice is basically just pure starch.

Lol I like brown rice! And those are bad? Never heard of them, I'll have to dig deeper later. Thanks for the start man

- Valdez

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Theres a reason why the asians have been cleaning that membrain off the rice for thousands of years, trust them.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tuber tubers and more tubers. If you go to an "ethnic" grocery store you can get some awesome root vegetables like yucca, etc.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I'm definitely considering it. I think I'll wait for my food allergen panel to come back and knock them all out in one shot. I can't give up dairy and pasta bro... take it easy bro! One thing at a time lol! Are you going to tell your kids all in one sitting that Santa, the tooth fairy, and Easter bunny aren't real all in one sitting??? Jeez, Dick ;)

- Valdez
Haha I just figured that if I were going to do it, i'd go balls to the floor and just rethink my entire diet from the ground up. I cook all my own meals and the gf does her own so the total change was easy. I havent reaally given up dairy, just lactose. I realise now that my gas, bloating and discomfort were attributed to that so I kinda had to eliminate that.

So its hard to say what the gluten free is doing, consdering I did it all in one shot but its not much harder this way so i'll stick at it.

;)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love gluten so much lol.

I try to eat more fruits and vegetables but I like grains so much!

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have had food allergy panels twice and both have tested negative for gluten and gliadin.

After following a basic elimination diet I have been unable to eat reintroduce gluten due to the plethora of GI issues I get from it.

It is worth noting for anyone who is getting tested.

Great article, Jason.

R

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
I,m just starting the gluten free diet, had heartburn, bloating all the stuff ya hear about. I started taking probiotics and digestive enzymes with most meals and the heartburn and bloating stopped, but ( bout to get graphic) my stool was always powdery looking and loose floaters. The last couple of weeks I have noticed a oily like film on top of the water when I finish. I did some research and I am going to go gluten free for a couple weeks and see if things improve, if not I will go see my Doc. I really have looked at my diet and was a little suprised at all the grain based things I
eat. From what Ive read I should notice some improvement soon, if in fact I,m gluten sensitive. I,m like alot of you, I thoght the whole gluten thing was a scam.....

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Tuber tubers and more tubers. If you go to an "ethnic" grocery store you can get some awesome root vegetables like yucca, etc.
Way to bring me back to childhood jason.. Havnt had yucca in yeaaaaars

R

RockNRollaX

Awards
Mostly gluten and dairy free for almost 2 years.
I have grown to love sweet potatoes and yams, great sources of nutrition and quick energy, I'll sometimes slice some raw sweet potato sticks when I want a simple crunchy snack. I allow occasional cheats here and there but they usually serve to remind me of how much better I feel digestion wise without these things. Basically all of us adults have some degree of intolerance to dairy and gluten. We are just not good at digesting them. Also the processed carbs contribute a lot to food cravings, swings in energy, mood swings, etc. We grow to love them partially because they are addictive, they trigger the same reward pathways as most drugs. All that said, an awesome bowl of pasta is probably at the top of my cheat list, I just save it for rare occasions at a nice restaurant.

R

RockNRollaX

Awards
I find most people who think the gluten thing is a fad also believe that fats in their food are bad for you and that they directly contribute to bodyfat. wrong. we are designed to use fat for energy better than any other fuel source, it's the carb overload that can trick our body into storing the fat. fats keep you fuller longer and as a fun side note, they help your bowels move along better than any amount of fiber ever can.

R

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
I,m on day 6 of gluten free, and so far Ive had very little bloating and reflux. Things are looking more solid and normal after a BM. I think I may be headed in the right direction with this....

B

Blingzip

Awards
Glad I happened on this thread. I'm starting to wonder if I really should try gluten free, or at least decrease it, but I too tend to think it's just "hype" that comes up "all of a sudden". For years whole grains were the way to go, and you have bodybuilder-types and fitness models, athletes, etc. talking on the benefits of whole grains vs refined carbs -especially brown rice vs white rice, so I'm REALLY surprised to see some guys here actually suggesting white rice to be better for you! What about the whole high Glycemic Index of white rice -and other white carbs- and insulin spiking and fat storage (except after a workout of course)- ?

And indeed, what are reasonable and PRACTICAL alternatives to gluten/breads? I tend to try to have healthy (at least I THOUGHT they were healthy) sandwiches as snacks or meals; what do I do as a reasonable and CONVENIENT alternative?? (You can't make a sandwich without *Bread* can you??? ....sorry for the cheekiness..:silly: ).

But I'm really interested in this thread, and what are good alternatives. I've started to wonder if certain symptoms I'm having might really be due to gluten sensitivity or what -but the symptoms seem inconsistent. Can I be only sensitive "sometimes"? Or perhaps only with a certain *amount* of gluten/wheat ingested?

P.S. Someone mentioned Oats as an alternative but I'm sure I've seen oats being described as also having gluten; can anyone confirm this? I could be wrong......

Thanks.

Bling

R

RockNRollaX

Awards
White rice is easier to digest than brown as it is a simpler protein. Brown has more fiber and phytic acids which are not good in this case as grain fibers do not help your stomach and phytic acids reduce absorption of other minerals (antinutrients). I have noticed for many years that brown rice somehow did not sit as well with me as white did. As said above, there's a reason the asians have been eating it white for thousands of years :)

We often use Gluten to refer to the protein in any grain, but there are different proteins in different grains at different amounts. For example Oats *can* be ok for some people in some cases..if you want oats you should go for steel cut and make sure it says gluten free. livestrong.com/article/366274-do-steel-cut-oats-contain-gluten/

As for alternatives..really you're best just getting used to not eating things that resemble grains in my opinion. That said, you can still get gluten free bread for your sandwich. But at first I recommend going cold turkey and seeing how you feel. If I want something resembling a sandwich I just use lettuce leaves as a wrap :)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quinoa is a pretty unadulterated grain that is gluten free.

As RockNrolla mentioned the shift should really be toward fresh, minimally processed foods, rather than finding highly processed foods to substitute for wheat based products.

Br

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
White rice is easier to digest than brown as it is a simpler protein. Brown has more fiber and phytic acids which are not good in this case as grain fibers do not help your stomach and phytic acids reduce absorption of other minerals (antinutrients). I have noticed for many years that brown rice somehow did not sit as well with me as white did. As said above, there's a reason the asians have been eating it white for thousands of years :)

We often use Gluten to refer to the protein in any grain, but there are different proteins in different grains at different amounts. For example Oats *can* be ok for some people in some cases..if you want oats you should go for steel cut and make sure it says gluten free. livestrong.com/article/366274-do-steel-cut-oats-contain-gluten/

As for alternatives..really you're best just getting used to not eating things that resemble grains in my opinion. That said, you can still get gluten free bread for your sandwich. But at first I recommend going cold turkey and seeing how you feel. If I want something resembling a sandwich I just use lettuce leaves as a wrap :)
I agree.

Although I do avoid wheat, the main thing is that you opt for foods as they occur (or as close to) in nature.

B

Blingzip

Awards
Ok, well I can see with say going for tubers and such, that makes sense. But in terms of being as close to nature as possible, I thought that was the very point of going for whole grain foods, like brown rice vs white rice? In terms of the greater fiber content yes, but also for better insulin control? (lower Glycemic index)?

B

Blingzip

Awards
Also, what's special about "steel cut" oats? Is it more "whole" than the tough "old fashioned oats"? I had always thought that the old-fashioned oats was the more "whole-some" way to go, for getting in whole grains, for better sustained energy for workouts, general health, etc. ?

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Also, what's special about "steel cut" oats? Is it more "whole" than the tough "old fashioned oats"? I had always thought that the old-fashioned oats was the more "whole-some" way to go, for getting in whole grains, for better sustained energy for workouts, general health, etc. ?
Just do it your way bro. Oats are oats everyone has an opinion though. Just eat as healthy as you can afford and you'll do fine

P

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
I'm just starting to eat gluten-free oats. Don't notice a different taste or anything, but it's just hard to stay consistent with it.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
I'm just starting to eat gluten-free oats. Don't notice a different taste or anything, but it's just hard to stay consistent with it.
There ahouldnt be any tatse difference.. Oats naturally dont contain gluten but are usually packed in factories on machines that also process gluten products. So the amount is very minuscule