Multivitamins!

Benjamin1

Awards
My buddy recently got his pro card in men's physique, or something like that.

Though I am not trying to be a competitor, I am trying to continue to build muscle.

He said having a good, or the "right" multivitamin is vital to overall physique when working out and dieting.

Is this true, and if so **WHICH MULTIVITAMIN WOULD ONE RECOMMEND**

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's certainly not VITAL to your physique. I can't imagine a scenario in which a multivitamin enhances the physique much, unless there are deficiencies. It would be more accurate to say vital to your overall health. Even then, a balanced and varied diet can do the same thing as a multivitamin, and probably better.

That said, we're not all eating a perfect diet, and a multi can fill in the gaps. I personally have been sitting on a pile of G N C vitamins that I stocked up on when I worked there (couldn't you tell from the vitamin shtick?), but there are lots of better options out there.

TexasGuy

Awards
Vitamins and minerals act as catalysts for reactions in the body, including reactions important to hypertrophy, fat loss et cetera.

Google search "zinc and testosterone", "calcium and muscle contraction" and "b-vitamins and fat metabolism" for a just few of examples.

Supplement companies pushing products for bodybuilders tend to formulate vitamins favorably for bodybuilders too, I would start looking around with that in mind.

Personally, I like Optimum Nutrition vitamins.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
B Vitamins are easily enough obtained from the diet; so there is generally little need to supplement with those. Take calcium and zinc supplements away from each other, although again, these needn't usually be supplemented if your diet contains lots of dairy and meat/peanut products (and they should also not be dosed at the same time as they fight for absorbtion).

In fact most of the vitamins present in a multi-v won't help UNLESS you have known deficiencies; if you do decide to supplement, Orange Triad is one of the top ones. Each vitamin is present in huge excess which means that it will help offset the lack of absorption that accompanies a multi-v.

IMO avoid Iron containing supps at all costs unless under advisary of a health professional

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
B Vitamins are easily enough obtained from the diet; so there is generally little need to supplement with those. Take calcium and zinc supplements away from each other, although again, these needn't usually be supplemented if your diet contains lots of dairy and meat/peanut products (and they should also not be dosed at the same time as they fight for absorbtion).

In fact most of the vitamins present in a multi-v won't help UNLESS you have known deficiencies; if you do decide to supplement, Orange Triad is one of the top ones. Each vitamin is present in huge excess which means that it will help offset the lack of absorption that accompanies a multi-v.

IMO avoid Iron containing supps at all costs unless under advisary of a health professional
Good info right here.

Benjamin1

Awards

Great information. Thanks man!!! I'm going to look when i get out of class and purchase some.

TexasGuy

Awards
Great information. Thanks man!!! I'm going to look when i get out of class and purchase some.
FYI Optimum Nutrition contains vitamins in excess as well and is generally cheaper than Orange Triad and some of the other companies.

Animal Pak is expensive but they separate your dose so that you can avoid absorption issues. It's a pain in the ass but a good protocol.

There are quite a few options out there.

Personally my diet tends to be pretty solid but I do take vitamins as a type of micronutrient insurance.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
FYI Optimum Nutrition contains vitamins in excess as well and is generally cheaper than Orange Triad and some of the other companies.

Animal Pak is expensive but they separate your dose so that you can avoid absorption issues. It's a pain in the ass but a good protocol.

There are quite a few options out there.

Personally my diet tends to be pretty solid but I do take vitamins as a type of micronutrient insurance.
I am a huge proponent of OT. It covers all your bases and has truly efficacious doses. $24.99 at NP for 45 days is huge.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like now Adam. Been using a whole organic food one from vcost that I really like

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
VITAL is a strong word haha, sounds like a supplement ad. Just eat right and enough food to do what you want to do...but hey, at least multivitamins are cheaper then every other supplement