Eggs

MJcarter

Awards
Read that whites have a lower bioavailability than whole eggs. Is it the yolk that is more digestible or is there something in the yolk that aids the digestion?

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Read that whites have a lower bioavailability than whole eggs. Is it the yolk that is more digestible or is there something in the yolk that aids the digestion?
Heard this as well but never read the study. I kniw yu shouldnt avoid yolks. So much good stuff in there. (7 whole eggs this morning)

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Not sure, is there a reason you don't want the yolk?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The "supposed" reason is that we were all kind of brain washed that eggs are bad for you due to fats and cholesterol. The yoke is where these fats are. That's why the yoke tastes so good. Lol

MJcarter

Awards
But doesent the yolk contains 100% of cholesterol daily value?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
But doesent the yolk contains 100% of cholesterol daily value?
Ingested cholesterol has no correlation (per se) to your cholesterol levels. Excess calories with cholesterol is what could be the issue. But eating foods that have a lot of fat and cholesterol won't raise your levels on its own.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ingested cholesterol has no correlation (per se) to your cholesterol levels. Excess calories with cholesterol is what could be the issue. But eating foods that have a lot of fat and cholesterol won't raise your levels on its own.
Boom.

Sat fat and dietary cholesterol were, erroneously, blamed for years as the culprit for high serum cholesterol.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

stole this from the Egg White International web site....even though it makes no mention of egg white absorbtion vs whole egg, it does make good points about raw vs cooked eggs

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

stole this from the Egg White International web site....even though it makes no mention of egg white absorbtion vs whole egg, it does make good points about raw vs cooked eggs
It doesnt destroy the proteins.. Its jus denatures them

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
anyone have studies on the bioavailability of protein vs denatured protein? i feel like arguing with my professor next week

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
anyone have studies on the bioavailability of protein vs denatured protein? i feel like arguing with my professor next week
Any meat protein is gnna be denatured.(Assuming you cook your food) Which means itjust get malformred. The protein shape has nothing to do with how your body break its down because either way its gnna be broken down to amino acids.

l1fterp1nk

Awards
  • Established
I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure the egg white itself is not a complete protein and the yoke completes it. I have always been told you need roughly 1 yoke to 6 egg whites to complete the protein. Has anyone else heard this?

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure the egg white itself is not a complete protein and the yoke completes it. I have always been told you need roughly 1 yoke to 6 egg whites to complete the protein. Has anyone else heard this?
No, there is nothing wrong (and a lot that is good) with eating yokes-but you are wrong on the 'completeness' of the protein

anarchy

anarchy

Awards
Everything I've read on eggs is that (1) large white egg contains aprox. 2/3 of your suggested daily cholesterol intake but that this is in the yellow, which also is more nutrient rich than the white with about the same protein(3-3.5g each). I hard boil 10-12 a day and eat between 8-10 a day but only 2 yellows at most. Gas is terrible though! Lol