Buying from local farmers

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Since I moved I don't have the same access to local farmers like I used to (until I have a car again) so I'm thinking to buy grass-fed meats online. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm looking for bison and beef primarily.

-OS-Team AppNut

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eatwild.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
^ You're southern NJ right? Know anything about Natures Own in Columbus?

-OS-Team AppNut

pampers938

pampers938

Awards
I personally being from jersey love fresh food. The beef I've been using is from upstate ny. Grass grazed hay feed black angus. My daughter's grandfather has a 30 head farm.

Luke_PNI

Luke_PNI

Awards
Check out skinnybeef.com. Very lean, and i believe come from grass fed.

EBroser

EBroser

Awards
Check out skinnybeef.com. Very lean, and i believe come from grass fed.
You are correct. Grass fed...no hormones...specially raised cattle that yield red meat at 98-99% fat free! I eat 8-16 oz of this stuff daily bulking or cutting. Check out www.skinnybeef.com. If interested I can personally get you 10% off your order.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking to add bison meat to my diet. I'm gonna check this out and if I decide to place an order I'll let you know! Repped.

-OS-Team AppNut

EBroser

EBroser

Awards
I'm looking to add bison meat to my diet. I'm gonna check this out and if I decide to place an order I'll let you know! Repped.

-OS-Team AppNut
Skinnybeef is leaner than bison by the way...1 gram of fat per oz!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^ You're southern NJ right? Know anything about Natures Own in Columbus?

-OS-Team AppNut
Nope sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I was just going through this site...Thank you!!
It's a good one both for finding farmers and learning about the local market.

Localharvest.org is really good too. Found a couple I bought from there plus gives the low down about CSAs and you can find pretty thorough buyer reviews.

-OS-Team AppNut

tank316

tank316

Awards
  • Established
Well since I'm a farm boy from N WI, I'm lucky enough to have a ton of grass fed beef almost out my front door. Due to the high cost of grain, a large majority of the farms surrounding me can only use grass or hay/alfalfa. Huge milking farms use feed[grain] with a mixture of grass/hay/alfalfa. Same with our 2 local bison ranches.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just bought 60 steaks 20 cuts of tbone/flat iron and rib eye for 230$ from my local farmer

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Ricky, arent you in NJ?

tank - interesting how that works out that it would be MORE expensive to feed grain. There's a lot of space in south jersey, a couple small places in northern but its very mountainous. Better for hunting. Mmmmm venison.

-OS-Team AppNut

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ricky, arent you in NJ?

tank - interesting how that works out that it would be MORE expensive to feed grain. There's a lot of space in south jersey, a couple small places in northern but its very mountainous. Better for hunting. Mmmmm venison.

-OS-Team AppNut
PA bro and I just bought a quarter cow lol 700$ I'm getting 160 cuts if steak tho lol

tank316

tank316

Awards
  • Established
Ricky, arent you in NJ?

-OS-Team AppNut
Its the larger milk producers that have to feed grain. Smaller farmers that mainly raise beef for butchering will feed hay/alfalfa. This time of year when its -25 with the wind chill, the cattle are in side. Some producers ''may'' feed some grain, buts its rare. Yes, the cost of grain is costly, due to the competive market for corn, making ethanol. ITS HUGE!! Farmers are plowing up hay/grass fields to put in corn, which in turns robs other ground of valuable nutrients/water. They put in huge arrigation systems robbing the water tables. Our farm,we rely on mother nature for water. But our beef/chickens etc are pretty much organic.
Venison is popular here as well, yet our population is getting small every year also.

Last edited:
OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I know a lot about the agricultural effects on American soil and it makes me irate. A big part of the reason I'm so interested in shifting my attention to local grass-fed livestock. I've also cut grains/wheat from my diet as well. Learned something new today. Thanks.

-OS-Team AppNut

tank316

tank316

Awards
  • Established
I know a lot about the agricultural effects on American soil and it makes me irate. A big part of the reason I'm so interested in shifting my attention to local grass-fed livestock. I've also cut grains/wheat from my diet as well. Learned something new today. Thanks.

-OS-Team AppNut
If you really get bored and want to watch a video, its called Food Inc, Its on Netflix or Amazon video...Pretty scary crap.