6000 calorie bulking?

Steverhodes

Awards
I'm new to forums and don't know a great deal about nutrition. I've been in the gym about 10 months now lifting heavy without much improvement and I've come to realise its due to me not eating enough. I'm 6ft5 and 205lb and looking to bulk up. After doing a little research I'm thinking of starting a 6000 cal diet with around 350g protein, 500-600g carbs and 200-250g good fats. Is this the right way to go? Any advice would be much appreciated

Steverhodes

Awards
Ps I have a fairly active job lifting and fitting acoustic glass which burns a fair amount of calories

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm new to forums and don't know a great deal about nutrition. I've been in the gym about 10 months now lifting heavy without much improvement and I've come to realise its due to me not eating enough. I'm 6ft5 and 205lb and looking to bulk up. After doing a little research I'm thinking of starting a 6000 cal diet with around 350g protein, 500-600g carbs and 200-250g good fats. Is this the right way to go? Any advice would be much appreciated
First off, you would want to gradually increase your calories. If you notice you're gradually putting on mass, keep the caloric intake about where it is. When that slows down a lot, you can increase your caloric intake a bit more.

But there is a limit to what your body can use. And 6,000 calories a day is really pushing it. A LOT of that food and nutrition is simply not going to be used by the body. Your body is a machine, yeah, but you're not a horse, you're a human being. Eating more food than you can actually use just means you're wasting money and going to the bathroom more often.

You definitely want to be taking in a suitable amount of nutrition to keep up with the demands of your routine and goals, but think about putting more emphasis in your training. Look into how you can increase your training intensity. I get the most out of my workouts by making them time intensive. Almost every single exercise I do is part of a super set or triple set (except for stuff like BB squats, ect..). The body is extremely adaptable (which most of the time is a very good thing) so you have to switch it up.

Keep in mind that I go for physique training rather than just building sheer mass and strength (even though that's an added benefit). I've personally found that as long as the diet is adequate, then the training techniques are what get me my results. Learn your own body. A lot of people around here just eat **** tons of food and do the 5-3-1 training program and expect to look amazing.

The whole mind-muscle connection is real, not just some stupid **** to get you to buy someone's book! Establish a mind-muscle connection, make sure your diet is adequate (not overboard) and put emphasis on training technique and intensity and I don't see how your body won't respond.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Also, there's more to bodybuilding than just lifting heavy. Like I said, the body is adaptable and also limited. If you're lifting heavy weights, the body will respond up to a point. It's not like we can just expect our bodies to eventually improve to the point where we are deadlifting 3000lbs. There are limits. If you're into it purely for the strength/mass, then yeah, you generally eat a lot and follow a semi-specific routine based on "telling" your body to increase muscle mass. But if you want to make your body look good, a lot of that comes from technique (as in, you know EXACTLY which areas you want to respond, so you make it happen). I think a lot of people who lift heavy get their minds around the act of lifting the weight rather than thinking about the muscles that are doing it.

Steverhodes

Awards
Thanks for your help typo o. My plan was to just try a clean bulk for a couple of month and then cut. Obviously in that time I will undoubtedly increase my body fat percentage aswell but my metabolism has always been fast and losing fat has never been my problem, building muscle has. So from your advice I'm thinking maybe start around 4000-4500 calories taking into account the calories I burn at work. In the gym I'm looking at 3 sets 6-8 reps on core excercises like dead lift and squats Etc, then super setting other excercises. Would this be a better route to go down you think?

67nova

Awards
The 4000-4500 is way better.Main thing to do is keep watching mirror.Scale works alittle but judgeing from abs is the best way.Along with energy during the day.