Lose fat while making muscle gains?

bsa

Awards
Hey guys, im sort of new to this whole body building thing. Forgive my noobness but is there any way(or is it possible) to make me some muscle gains while trying to lose some fat and make my abs come out?Im at around 13-15 bf% and would like to be at 8-10 bf%.
My plan is as follows:
30 minutes of cardio in the morning before breakfeast on an empty stomach (ive read that is best to eliminate fat),eat on a strictly clean diet (in the making) with 3k cals per day, ab training 2x a week, and 30 minutes of cardio after my daily workout (usually around 7-9pm)I realize there will probably be some things wrong with my plan, so suggestions would be awesome. Thanks for the help!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Replace some of your LISS cardio with HIIT. Eat clean, carb cycle, zig zag diet (eat over maint on w/o days and under maint on non w/o days), lift heavy focusing on compound lifts (deads, squat, pullups, bench, ovhd press, dips) rather than iso movements (tricep pushdowns, curls, etc).

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
fasted cardio wont eliminate fat any faster. are your stats correct?

bsa

Awards
yes they are.. im a very small guy as you can probably imagine, i was at 108 before i began to workout. and im currently 130lbs, not 125lbs anymore.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
and you want to lose weight? and lose weight with 3000 cals?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I like fasted low intensity for off days, it doesn't seem to effect my muscle growth.
it may not but the notion that fasted cardio decreases body fat faster is not accurate

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it may not but the notion that fasted cardio decreases body fat faster is not accurate
Ah true, sorry i didnt read fully. I think cardio is better fasted either way just because my stomach is fussy about that stuff. But yeah youre right but some people swear by fasted cardio as the key to fat loss.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I don't want to just lose weight, only fat (obviously) as well as continue on building muscle. Is that even possible?
at your stats 3000 cals would even be a large bulking surplus, you would never see weight loss but more so fat gain with that figure.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I don't want to just lose weight, only fat (obviously) as well as continue on building muscle. Is that even possible?
Unless you're just starting to workout its virtually impossible. Should focus on either gaining lean muscle or losing fat

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
Unless you're just starting to workout its virtually impossible. Should focus on either gaining lean muscle or losing fat
Completely possible along with a good diet, hard training, and discipline. Nothing comes easy with body building. Try cutting carbs after a certain time, I started at noon and just ate fats and proteins afterward. Simple carbs are fine pre/post workout.

With a good diet you'll get abs in a couple months. Eat whole foods too, and stay away from grains it'll keep bloat to a minimum.

Esmonds

Awards
Hi Bsa,
Never feel shy to ask as it is linked with your fitness and yes you can lose fat while gaining muscles. Avoid skipping breakfast, take small meals instead of big ones and increase your water intake. Load up on proteins but do not eliminate fat entirely from your daily diet. Avoid taking meals shortly before going to bed.

retrofitted

Awards
Hi Bsa,
Never feel shy to ask as it is linked with your fitness and yes you can lose fat while gaining muscles. Avoid skipping breakfast, take small meals instead of big ones and increase your water intake. Load up on proteins but do not eliminate fat entirely from your daily diet. Avoid taking meals shortly before going to bed.
This is antiquated, clinically unproven misinformation that is commonly spread among those that consider themselves "experts" in physique transformation. Research is your friend.

bj22

Awards
Hi Bsa,Never feel shy to ask as it is linked with your fitness and yes you can lose fat while gaining muscles. Avoid skipping breakfast, take small meals instead of big ones and increase your water intake. Load up on proteins but do not eliminate fat entirely from your daily diet. Avoid taking meals shortly before going to bed.
i completely disagree with just about everything you posted. i used to follow the conventional wisdom as well and could never manage to get below 12% BF. since reinventing my diet and training program over the last year i have been able to consistently gain muscle while staying lean at around 6% BF. no joke. here's the kicker, i eat kid's cereal before bed just about every night of the week and always skip breakfast! blasphemy, i know.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Hi Bsa,
this is the second rediculous post from you ive read. your advice is subpar at best.....this may be your personal preference but that's about it

Nate007

Awards
Really surprised no one mentioned this yet but the first thing you need to do is find what your maintenance cals are. If your looking to lose fat and gain muscle you want to eat right around maintenance you can play with it a bit. Either 100 below or 100 over and adjust from there.

mbq

mbq

Awards
I like reading discussions here...

Losing fat and gaining muscle are separate goals. Nobody can show great results if he or she chases these two goals at the same time. I heard Charles Glass' advice: Get the fat off first, then set your new goal for gaining muscle while staying lean.

Muscle mass is a natural treasure for burning fat in the long run so do not lose muscles. It helps maintain good metabolic rate too.