i eat it all the time!

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
rpm57

rpm57

Awards
That's what I was thinking, lots of sodium but the protein is rewarding... And easy to make meals with! Plus at only around $2 a can its very affordable!!

Luke_PNI

Luke_PNI

Awards
I have used canned chicken if i was in a hurry or on the go and didnt have time to cook something to pack. Like you said it is high in sodium, but good back up plan.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
That's what I was thinking, lots of sodium but the protein is rewarding... And easy to make meals with! Plus at only around $2 a can its very affordable!!
Most of the sodium is in the liquid so drain the chicken well and the sodium content will drop. In any case,the main issue with excess sodium is that it causes a pottasium imbalance, add more potassium to help offset this

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Most of the sodium is in the liquid so drain the chicken well and the sodium content will drop. In any case,the main issue with excess sodium is that it causes a pottasium imbalance, add more potassium to help offset this
this. i even rinse and re drain.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What brand are you guys buying? I was looking for them today at jewel and could only find 13 g/serving with 4 servings for like $4.

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
I love it! Super convenient. It was great when on vacation as well!

TexasGuy

Awards
Watch out for BPA but otherwise it's just chicken. Unless you're on an extreme, sub 10% cut and are looking for a dry effect or have cardiovascular issues, the sodium shouldn't be a problem, especially since most of it is drained. This stuff is great for chicken salad.

That said, a crock pot and the patience to shred a package of cooked drumsticks is primo.

rpm57

rpm57

Awards
Appreciate all the replies! I was curious, bc I had a guy at work,(recreation in BOP) so we are all health conscious, tell me that canned chicken had wayyyyy to much sodium and was bad. I argued to the point that I had to walk away!!! Lol I paying like $9 for 6 big cans (60g of protein)!!! It's super easy to take to work and make a quick lunch...

Thanks again

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
I used to eat this all the time when I was single and either too usy or lazy to cook chicken breast. I've also used it when I'm travelling. I'm not too awful concerned with the sodium. I wouldn't live off of it, but it's a great, fast way to get your protein.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't fear sodium. The FDA recommended upper limit is a joke. 3.7g sodium is optimal but you can have upwards of 6g.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Don't fear sodium. The FDA recommended upper limit is a joke. 3.7g sodium is optimal but you can have upwards of 6g.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
This.

If you are worried just balance it with more potassium

tank316

tank316

Awards
  • Established
Its not my fear of sodium per say, just a bad habit,LOL

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
The biggest problem to me is cost, your mostly paying for water and packaging. Canned chicken is the lowest grade meat product you can buy. Its all the stuff that got the crap beat out of it during production.

I go to gfs myself and buy there 40# cases of chicken, good quality and price, plus I get a 5% discount from my job.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
I buy 32oz cans from sams. Its very easy, so when I am busy or just dont feel like cooking for the week when I need to, I open a can, drain it, rinse it and add it to my veggies and rice. Volia. 4 meals in 5 minutes.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
I buy 32oz cans from sams. Its very easy, so when I am busy or just dont feel like cooking for the week when I need to, I open a can, drain it, rinse it and add it to my veggies and rice. Volia. 4 meals in 5 minutes.
You've got to be thrifty with money and TIME when you're a physique athlete! This is great advice. In fact, I may have to steal this idea when baseball season comes. Come February my time will be cut in about half. End of March when games start, most days of the week I'll leave home at 5 AM and get home about 8:30/9 PM. Canned chicken may have to become my friend!