In need of carbohydrate advice!

zbasel

Awards
Hey! Basically I am having a lot of trouble getting in the necessary amount of carbohydrates everyday to reach my fitness goals... I am looking for carbohydrates with a GI index under 55.
For breakfast I eat oatmeal
For lunch I usually have a sandwich with 2 slices of whole wheat bread
For 2nd lunch I'll maybe have some whole wheat pasta
post workout I usually get in a nice oatmeal bar and or banana
For dinner I usually cook one of those mixed vegetables steam bags they have about 28g of good carbs
Late snack I'll just take some dried fruit/nuts fruit mix with some cottage cheese and peanut butter

Every meal has 25-35g of protein.

I am just interested in what you guys do for your carbobydrates and how you guys manage to get all of that in during day. I am looking for those healthy carbohydrates under 55 gi index. Preferred to be able to cook them easily and fast!! Thanks.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MY firs recommendation woudl simply be to just eat larger portions. use fruit as a snack. Post workout you actually want higher gi carbs to spike your insulin and those digest much easier so u can have alot. Also your body will use them post workout so feel free to indulge there a little bit. If you have an appetite problem you could always order some type of carb powder. Also you could throw some carbs like a sweet potato into your dinner. Also dont forget the GI is kinda messed up because it doesnt takeinto account fat and protein eaten along with the food.....focus on nutrient dense carbs

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
500g russet potato - 108g carb
2 cups brown rice - 90g carb
6oz whole wheat pasta - 123g carb
1cup sauce - 22g carb

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sweet potatoes ftw
Purple potatoes
I eat kashi maize cereal in my fast break sometimes

I donno the gi index on these but they aren't bad for you.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't worry so much about GI as I would be concerned with processing. GI is altered if you combine the food (say with, a protein source) and based upon cooking.

Instead, focus on level of processing. Seek minimally processed foods (which generally have low gi's). For example: steel cut oats > rolled > quick > oat bars

Whole wheat bread is more processed than wheat berries or bulgar wheat....and even then, I would suggest limiting gluten content. With that in mind, wild or natural rice > pasta.

See where this is going??

Br

Luke_PNI

Luke_PNI

Awards
They do make carbohydrate powders such as Karbolyn that has 50g of carbohydrates per scoop thats made up of potato, rice and corn.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't worry so much about GI as I would be concerned with processing. GI is altered if you combine the food (say with, a protein source) and based upon cooking.

Instead, focus on level of processing. Seek minimally processed foods (which generally have low gi's). For example: steel cut oats > rolled > quick > oat bars

Whole wheat bread is more processed than wheat berries or bulgar wheat....and even then, I would suggest limiting gluten content. With that in mind, wild or natural rice > pasta.

Br
Awesome post. Good advice right here.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established

Br
Great advice. What is your reasoning in keeping the GI below 55? If you combine with protein or fat GI really isn't that big of a concern.

ALR makes a carb product called Chain'd Reaction that is very good. Tastes good too. It's hydrolyzed brown rice solids.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Realistically the carbohydrate needs of any human being is ultimately zero but its rather silly to expect someone to function properly on long periods of depletion while frequently exercising.

Glycomyx - purple sweet potato carb power like karbolyn and the likes.
Rolled oats, steel cut oats are super low GI, barley, brown or basmati rice and other minimally proccess grains
I would ditch the breads and pastas.
Personally I'm anti-grain/wheat both nutritionally and politically. I stick to seeds and starches: potatos, quinoa, lentils, certain legumes and beans in smaller portions.

No one mentioned this but be aware of the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber, things like hemocellulose and cellulose, are metabolically inert in humans as we lack the enzyme to break them down. The FDA just requires that nutritional data list the carbs in almonds and broccoli but you derive nothing from it calorically.

-OS-Team AppNut

EBroser

EBroser

Awards
My absolute favorite carbs are the following whether I am dieting to cut or to add lean mass:

-gluten free oatmeal
-Quinoa
-brown rice
-sweet potato
-barley
-Ezekiel bread

Largest carb meals are with breakfast and post workout.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
This is a good thread with a lot of great information!

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My absolute favorite carbs are the following whether I am dieting to cut or to add lean mass:

-gluten free oatmeal
-Quinoa
-brown rice
-sweet potato
-barley
-Ezekiel bread

Largest carb meals are with breakfast and post workout.
While I don't buy gluten intolerance being such a huge epidemic these suggestions are good ones to start with and easy to follow.

They even make quinoa pasta now...

- Valdez

TexasGuy

Awards
In case any "beginners" are floating around, let's be clear that while it may be possible to survive without carb intake, a zero carb environment is not best practice for building muscle or athletic endeavours. We are not on this board to survive, but to build muscle and strength.

Not every article or marketing write up around a diet will be "best practice", regardless of how it is presented. Diets and training protocols are products and each product has competition. Every diet will utilize studies that do support it in order to develop "scientifically backed" marketing material, while ignoring science that may detract from the marketing message.

Regarding the Swedish author above, there is a difference between existing and pushing for gym PRs and bicep peaks.

Carbohydrates in relation to weight training offer fantastic benefits.

In a nutshell:

When carbs are plentiful in the diet they spare protein (muscle breakdown), help hold water in the muscle (the marketing buzzword is cell volumization), provide energy (your body operates on a tiered system when pulling nutrients for energy) and even help break down fat.

As mentioned, mixing carbs with other food sources throws a monkey wrench in the GI rating. Both complex and simple carbs have their place in the weight room however.

It sounds like you may have a decent grasp on the role of complex carbs, OP but don't be scared of simple carbs eaten in an effective manner.

Not only can they be manipulated for a quick burst of energy (everyone knows a sugar high) before the gym, they also create a spike in insulin which can be manipulated for muscle gain. Insulin is a hormone that directs nutrients to your muscles.

It will drive the carbs to your muscles (glycogen, stored energy for better workouts and with a cell volumizing effect), protein, creatine if you use it, et cetera.

You can build muscle on a low carb diet but it isn't necessary to have "one arm tied behind your back". Unless of course you are fat and wanting to lose weight on a low carb diet which is another story altogether.

If you are dead set on finding carb sources under the 55 score on the GI:

go to google, search "Glycemic Index List" or something similar and pick the foods that fall within your range.....

EBroser

EBroser

Awards
I did not buy into it either UNTIL I tried it myself and with 4-5 clients! Stomach upset and bloat were gone in a few weeks AND waist size came down up to a 1/2 on all.

As for Quinoa, the added benefit of COMPLETE protein AND higher IGF-1 levels make it my favorite!

While I don't buy gluten intolerance being such a huge epidemic these suggestions are good ones to start with and easy to follow.

They even make quinoa pasta now...

- Valdez

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did not buy into it either UNTIL I tried it myself and with 4-5 clients! Stomach upset and bloat were gone in a few weeks AND waist size came down up to a 1/2 on all.

As for Quinoa, the added benefit of COMPLETE protein AND higher IGF-1 levels make it my favorite!
I'll second the personal results on the upset stomach and bloat. And throw down some science as back up:

J Nutr Biochem. 2012 Dec 17. pii: S0955-2863(12)00226-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2012.08.009. [Epub ahead of print]
Gluten-free diet reduces adiposity, inflammation and insulin resistance associated with the induction of PPAR-alpha and PPAR-gamma expression.
Soares FL, de Oliveira Matoso R, Teixeira LG, Menezes Z, Pereira SS, Alves AC, Batista NV, de Faria AM, Cara DC, Ferreira AV, Alvarez-Leite JI.
Source

Departamento de Alimentos, Faculdade de Farmácia, Instituto de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil; Departamento de Bioquímica e Imunologia, Instituto de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil. Electronic address: [email protected].
Abstract

Gluten exclusion (protein complex present in many cereals) has been proposed as an option for the prevention of diseases other than coeliac disease. However, the effects of gluten-free diets on obesity and its mechanisms of action have not been studied. Thus, our objective was to assess whether gluten exclusion can prevent adipose tissue expansion and its consequences. C57BL/6 mice were fed a high-fat diet containing 4.5% gluten (Control) or no gluten (GF). Body weight and adiposity gains, leukocyte rolling and adhesion, macrophage infiltration and cytokine production in adipose tissue were assessed. Blood lipid profiles, glycaemia, insulin resistance and adipokines were measured. Expression of the PPAR-α and γ, lipoprotein lipase (LPL), hormone sensitive lipase (HSL), carnitine palmitoyl acyltransferase-1 (CPT-1), insulin receptor, GLUT-4 and adipokines were assessed in epidydimal fat. Gluten-free animals showed a reduction in body weight gain and adiposity, without changes in food intake or lipid excretion. These results were associated with up-regulation of PPAR-α, LPL, HSL and CPT-1, which are related to lipolysis and fatty acid oxidation. There was an improvement in glucose homeostasis and pro-inflammatory profile-related overexpression of PPAR-γ. Moreover, intravital microscopy showed a lower number of adhered cells in the adipose tissue microvasculature. The overexpression of PPAR-γ is related to the increase of adiponectin and GLUT-4. Our data support the beneficial effects of gluten-free diets in reducing adiposity gain, inflammation and insulin resistance. The data suggests that diet gluten exclusion should be tested as a new dietary approach to prevent the development of obesity and metabolic disorders.

PMID: 23253599
For those not familiar with PPAR-alpha's actions you can read more here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16511589 but in a nutshell activation of PPAR-alpha increases lipid oxidation in skeletal muscle and liver, whereas PPAR-gamma increase glucose uptake by adipose tissue (thus improving insulin resistance). The prior is very applicable for performance, the latter for health in obese/overweight people with insulin resistance.

Br

EBroser

EBroser

Awards
His link didn't work for me. I doubt we contradicted each other.

Quinoa is a seed, not a grain. Common misconception.
Some consider it more like a bean or seed, yes. Definitely not a grain, correct! But, no matter what it is, it makes for awesome egg white/Quinoa pancakes!!!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Some consider it more like a bean or seed, yes. Definitely not a grain, correct! But, no matter what it is, it makes for awesome egg white/Quinoa pancakes!!!

I'm down for that! Got a recipe? I don't advise it as a protein source - yes its a full 7g amino profile but the bioavailability is so bad due to the carbohydrate encasing. Could always soak the seed overnight to fix that... I'm doing it right now.

-OS-Team AppNut

EBroser

EBroser

Awards
I'm down for that! Got a recipe? I don't advise it as a protein source - yes its a full 7g amino profile but the bioavailability is so bad due to the carbohydrate encasing. Could always soak the seed overnight to fix that... I'm doing it right now.

-OS-Team AppNut
-16 oz liquid egg whites (I use a vanilla flavored version from www.muscleegg.com)
-I use about 90-115 grams Quinoa depending on exact car-count I am after
-A little bit of cinnamon
-Couple pf packets of sweetener

Mix thoroughly in a blender and pour batter into non-stick pan. Will make 2-3 pancakes depending on size of pan. Sometimes I do half Quinoa/barley or half Quinoa/oatmeal. To me, straight Quinoa makes the best pancakes.

You can also use some fake spray butter on them or something like Walden farms or Atkins syrup. This is such an enjoyable meal.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Coach, do you cook the quinoa first?

EBroser

EBroser

Awards
Coach, do you cook the quinoa first?
No I do not. However, I WILL cook barley a bit before adding it to the mixture if I utilize it.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
You don't NEED carbs, you do need carb refeeds tho ;-)

I can attest to trying to make my carbs gluten free make a large difference, for the better.

Btw you can carb up and be gluten free and still be high GI, just takes a little work
You need cake after 2 weeks of only veggies , fat and prot...True Story.

As for the real contribution to the thread...I think there's enough smart minds here to help out on this.

Carbs at night, really beneficial or just harmless? High GI or low GI, for benefits in fat loss, Insulin sensitivity, extended lipolysis throughout the day?

Just wanna get your opinion on the matter...as all I read is both sides, that Carbs at night are harmless, however the High GI to low GI ground for said benefits...seems...hard to define?

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
What your eating now for carbs is plenty. Just depends on when you eat them. I found eating simple carbs pre and post workout, and lower carbs in the mornings and evenings to work great for bulking and cutting. Excess carbs=excess body fat.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need cake after 2 weeks of only veggies , fat and prot...True Story.

As for the real contribution to the thread...I think there's enough smart minds here to help out on this.

Carbs at night, really beneficial or just harmless?
I would say harmless. We do have this
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137 which would suggest it MAY be beneficial for total fat loss and better satiety.

High GI or low GI, for benefits in fat loss, Insulin sensitivity, extended lipolysis throughout the day?
see Big Reds earlier post. When consumed in a meal the GI becomes irrelevant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

dabronx70

dabronx70

Awards
Your best bet is to eat most of your carbs early and eat them with protien and some fat to better digest everything,karbolyn after a workout will do the body good.Stop eating anything about 2 hrs before bed time to keep bodyfat to a minimum.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Your best bet is to eat most of your carbs early and eat them with protien and some fat to better digest everything,karbolyn after a workout will do the body good.Stop eating anything about 2 hrs before bed time to keep bodyfat to a minimum.
why would i directly gain fat by consuming within 2 hours of bed?

dabronx70

dabronx70

Awards
Never ment that you would put on fat but you dont want to consume to many calories before bed because of lack of activity during sleep.You have a better chance of storing the excess calories if you do.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Never ment that you would put on fat but you dont want to consume to many calories before bed because of lack of activity during sleep.You have a better chance of storing the excess calories if you do.
I'd say it's more closely linked with the presence of insulin during times or rest when GH and IGF release is most significant. GH is blunted by insulin concentrations in the blood stream so it's best to be entering a state of fasting near bed time. Thats my perspective.

-OS-Team AppNut

EBroser

EBroser

Awards
I'd say it's more closely linked with the presence of insulin during times or rest when GH and IGF release is most significant. GH is blunted by insulin concentrations in the blood stream so it's best to be entering a state of fasting near bed time. Thats my perspective.

-OS-Team AppNut
Absolutely correct. Carbohydrates CAN be timed for optimum use and manipulation of the natural hormonal cascade at specific times per day in full accordance with your goals.