1lb. 80/20 ground beef = what macros cooked?!

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what amount of fat gets cooked out of 4oz. of Kroger 80/20 ground chuck....I'm assuming protein stays the same. I cook it in a pan, with a tbsp of canola oil (14g of fat). I know on the package it says 23g fat per 4 oz. raw....about what would this be cooked? I was thinking I might have made up for the fat loss from the beef with the canola oil I added?

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
It all depends on how much you cook it. Best bet would be to drain the fat and cook it then subtract. But I think your going a little overboard.

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
well i just throw it in a pan, cook it until its brown, and then dump whatever liquid (fat) that is in the pan. i'm just looking to guess...what would you guys guess?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
It all depends on how much you cook it. Best bet would be to drain the fat and cook it then subtract. But I think your going a little overboard.
how do you drain the fat before its cooked? OP, if its that big of a deal then use 93/7

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
well i just throw it in a pan, cook it until its brown, and then dump whatever liquid (fat) that is in the pan. i'm just looking to guess...what would you guys guess?
its impossible to guess

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Why not toss it on the george foreman and weigh what's left on the tray after your done?

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
i'm not that worried about it...just wondered if anyone had a guess. from what I can see online..4 oz raw is about 3 oz cooked...so 95g of fat per lb probably turns into about 65-70. Plus the 14g from canola oil so around 80-85.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to drain it, then wash the cooked ground beef in the strainer with water to really get all the grease off

and then I stopped giving a ****

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
I used to drain it, then wash the cooked ground beef in the strainer with water to really get all the grease off

haha, that's what I'm about to do

TexasGuy

Awards
Weighing after draining still won't be accurate as the beef will be losing blood (water) too.

Don't get too hung up on the hyper technical ****.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Weighing after draining still won't be accurate as the beef will be losing blood (water) too.

Don't get too hung up on the hyper technical ****.
True. I did once to get an idea of how much fat would come out of one of those standard boxed burger patties from Sam's club; weighted before, cooked on the grill, weighted after and then checked for the fat content on my george foreman. Most of the fat did come out, it ended up being about a 90% cut at the end of it, so I had to ditch it as I was looking for the fat.

Edit: I weighted the fat after it had solidified itself and drained away the water.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established

I dont see a problem with it. it's tasty and fits into my macros, so whatever. And if it really is a 90% reduction then I need to recalculate because I was eating for the fat content. Back to flank steak. I'm gonna try that little experiment and see what I get.

-OS-Team AppNut

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
i'm not that worried about it...just wondered if anyone had a guess. from what I can see online..4 oz raw is about 3 oz cooked...so 95g of fat per lb probably turns into about 65-70. Plus the 14g from canola oil so around 80-85.
Out of curiosity...why the canola oil?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This doesn't really have anything to do with OP's question but I figured I would drop a little fun fact. I am a butcher at a well known supermarket in my area and what most people don't realize about ground beef is that 80/20 in my opinion is the best quality ground beef. Most grocery stores that sell ground beef like 93/7, 90/10, and 85/15 get sent 60lb boxes of pre ground beef. Meaning that we get these 60lb boxes which contain 6 individual 10lb tubes of ground beef that has already been pre ground so for connivence we only have to run it through our grinders once and then it's ready to be put in trays and packed out to sell. The problem with this is that whatever company supermarkets are buying these pre ground tubes from could be using low quality cuts of beef to save a few bucks. Most supermarkets usually always grind their 80/20 from scratch, meaning they take pieces of trim from strip steaks, rib eyes, London broils, and an assortment of other steaks and grind that up all together a total of three times and then tray it up to pack out for sale. We have to legally label it as 80/20 because the amount of meat to fat was not measured out prior to grinding it, but it's usually always leaner then that in the first place.
I initially liked you because of our likewise dirty minds. Now you just made me not feel bad for enjoying 80/20 all the time. Youre a good man Dirty Dan.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Hmm...interesting. Do the majority of all supermarkets do that, or can you only speak for your own?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I can only speak for my own store but my coworkers have worked for other supermarket chains and they all pretty much get in the same ground beef. I'm located in the north east so it may be different around the country as far as what other supermarkets do.
I learned somethign new today. I buy the majority of my meat from a local farmer but if I run short and need to pick up I know what ratio I'll be buying. Thanks!

-OS-Team AppNut

Rodraid

Awards
I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what amount of fat gets cooked out of 4oz. of Kroger 80/20 ground chuck....I'm assuming protein stays the same. I cook it in a pan, with a tbsp of canola oil (14g of fat). I know on the package it says 23g fat per 4 oz. raw....about what would this be cooked? I was thinking I might have made up for the fat loss from the beef with the canola oil I added?
I used to work at a laboratory where we performed nutritional analysis on food.

When I was younger and tried to stay much leaner than I do now here is what I would do with my ground beef. Cook it in a pan without adding any additional oil and right after it was cooked thoroughly I would put it in a strainer and run hot water through it.

I measured numerous different samples of ground beef with different fat contents and found following that approach I could cut the fat content in half. If the uncooked ground beef was 90/10 the cooked/strained version would be 95/5 or 80/20 would be 90/10. This is how I did the majority of my ground that I planned on using in tacos or spaghetti.

Hope that helps.

Rod

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established

When I was younger and tried to stay much leaner than I do now here is what I would do with my ground beef. Cook it in a pan without adding any additional oil and right after it was cooked thoroughly I would put it in a strainer and run hot water through it.

I measured numerous different samples of ground beef with different fat contents and found following that approach I could cut the fat content in half. If the uncooked ground beef was 90/10 the cooked/strained version would be 95/5 or 80/20 would be 90/10. This is how I did the majority of my ground that I planned on using in tacos or spaghetti.

Hope that helps.

Rod

I just did this with my last batch of ground beef and I must say it makes sense as to why the taste is different now than last week. Seems like a good way to keep the cost down and getting a better quality out of your food

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
When my daughters were old enough to eat meat, i would haul them over to the supermarket and ask the butcher to grind up some of the better cuts that were on sale. I know its a pain in the ass for them, but they couldn't say no to a baby girl. Better quality ground beef. Leaner cuts. And you know what part of the cow they are from. I thank them properly at xmas time. Great guys. Least i could do.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
I'll never go back to buying prepackaged ground beef

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
^Solid first post for a member having a join date of 2006
x2.

Just prepared a batch in this manner last night. Weight prior to cooking at 80/20 - weight after cooking. Also took the juices out from the pan and strained the meat, cool and allow separation of fats and water. Weighed the fat content separated after cooking - some quick math I can't quite remember but yeah thats about what I got... it's now more a 90/10. Depending on how you cook it you can pull a lot out if thats what youre looking for.

-OS-Team AppNut

PuZo

Awards
  • Established

Hope that helps.

Rod
Will definitely try this out, thanks!

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
This doesn't really have anything to do with OP's question but I figured I would drop a little fun fact. I am a butcher at a well known supermarket in my area and what most people don't realize about ground beef is that 80/20 in my opinion is the best quality ground beef. Most grocery stores that sell ground beef like 93/7, 90/10, and 85/15 get sent 60lb boxes of pre ground beef. Meaning that we get these 60lb boxes which contain 6 individual 10lb tubes of ground beef that has already been pre ground so for connivence we only have to run it through our grinders once and then it's ready to be put in trays and packed out to sell. The problem with this is that whatever company supermarkets are buying these pre ground tubes from could be using low quality cuts of beef to save a few bucks. Most supermarkets usually always grind their 80/20 from scratch, meaning they take pieces of trim from strip steaks, rib eyes, London broils, and an assortment of other steaks and grind that up all together a total of three times and then tray it up to pack out for sale. We have to legally label it as 80/20 because the amount of meat to fat was not measured out prior to grinding it, but it's usually always leaner then that in the first place.
Hmm, I find this interesting. Aside from the quality, why is it then that 80/20 looks more pink, while the 90s+ looks redder? I buy the 90/10 or 93/7 when it is on sale, but having read this and the other tips from other responses, I think I'll give 80/20 a try again.