New tactic for achieving six pack?

hawkhamilton

hawkhamilton

Awards
I do resistance/weights 4 times a week for 60-90 mins (mostly super sets), and for the last couple of months have added 10 mins of HIIT to the end of each workout. Been doing IF from 9:30pm to 1:00pm 6-7 days a week for six months, too. Results? Dropped two points in BF (10% down to 8% on DEXA), and lots of great feedback about looking better, but still not cut in my abs. Started working my abs harder, but I'm thinking this is more about eating. Should I cut cals (haven't done big deficits on a daily basis since advice has been that will eat more muscle than fat)? What new tack should I take or should I just expect a sow climb to my six pack goal over the next six months if I stick with my exercise routine and IF?

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
I do resistance/weights 4 times a week for 60-90 mins (mostly super sets), and for the last couple of months have added 10 mins of HIIT to the end of each workout. Been doing IF from 9:30pm to 1:00pm 6-7 days a week for six months, too. Results? Dropped two points in BF (10% down to 8% on DEXA), and lots of great feedback about looking better, but still not cut in my abs. Started working my abs harder, but I'm thinking this is more about eating. Should I cut cals (haven't done big deficits on a daily basis since advice has been that will eat more muscle than fat)? What new tack should I take or should I just expect a sow climb to my six pack goal over the next six months if I stick with my exercise routine and IF?
Abs is most definitely about your diet. Go on a small cut for a while and see how it works for you. You will obviously lose a bit of muscle but it all depends on your workouts.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Also would mention that your feeding window may be a bit too big?

Perhaps try to shorten it to about ~6 hours?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're actually at 8% and don't have visibly cut abs, then it's because you need to build them more.

TexasGuy

Awards
OP, what are you doing to train your abs?

If you're not already try adding weighted cable crunches and wood choppers.

Cary K

Cary K

Awards
If you're actually at 8% and don't have visibly cut abs, then it's because you need to build them more.
I've read that <10% BF is when your abs show more

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Granted, it was caliper measurement for me, but I'm at 9% right now and I still am unable to have the bottom abs showing. It is just that ALL of my fat is held there.

I have veins all over my arms, my calves, even chest and shoulders, but no lower ab visibility.

Which reminds me, should probably start a new topic on this.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Granted, it was caliper measurement for me, but I'm at 9% right now and I still am unable to have the bottom abs showing. It is just that ALL of my fat is held there.

I have veins all over my arms, my calves, even chest and shoulders, but no lower ab visibility.

Which reminds me, should probably start a new topic on this.
The lower abs, lower back, and glutes are generally the last places for fat to mobilize. Without going to mid single-digits, most won't see these areas.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Also you need to have some patience especially when you attempt going sub-10%; fat loss slows down massively.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
OP, what are you doing to train your abs?

If you're not already try adding weighted cable crunches and wood choppers.
Cable crunches are great for abs..my lower abs don't show either, lately laying leg raises has helped though...but I eat way to much for my abs to fully show ha

Drizzie88

Drizzie88

Awards
  • Established
Correct me if I'm wrong... But wouldn't running an AI like erase possibly help? I've read that people with high estrogen hold fat in their thighs and Lower stomach area? Is that correct or no?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Correct me if I'm wrong... But wouldn't running an AI like erase possibly help? I've read that people with high estrogen hold fat in their thighs and Lower stomach area? Is that correct or no?
At his BF% levels, his estrogen will not be high, but it will help those in the high teens or above.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This^^^^

As someone who has done minimal AB work over the years this is a huge factor.

You may think you're training them but you're blasting your hip flexors. ( common occurrence)

My fold on abs maybe similar to my quads but my quads are HUGE & well developed and I see razor cuts in them before I'll see any Ab separation.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look up on YouTube

Candlestick abdominals

Do those and work on front levers as well

Then physioball crunches with glutes held tight so your hips don't dip

Super set them

Drizzie88

Drizzie88

Awards
  • Established
At his BF% levels, his estrogen will not be high, but it will help those in the high teens or above.
Sweet. So the logic is correct just not the correct application.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I do those candlesticks with my abs workouts as well, will continue to try to decrease BF

Drizzie88

Drizzie88

Awards
  • Established
Why dont you post a pic...if you feel comfortable?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Why dont you post a pic...if you feel comfortable?
AM.jpg

Was just about to haha, had it on another post of mine. This is past 28 days of a hardcore cut doing leangains / carb backload mix.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Planks, cable crunches, dragon flys, hanging leg raises, sledge hammer tire slams, heavy squats and heavy deadlifts have done wonders for my mid section. Two of the most common things I see people do wrong are perform the exercises too fast, or neglect to increase weight, reps, or duration(planks).

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look closer to 12% IMO. Keep dropping fat

Take a look at my thread I have I'm about 10.5 according to bio electrical impedance

Keep working I was stuck then the holidays ****ed me

But I also ended up gaining 1.5 lbs in lbm

Drizzie88

Drizzie88

Awards
  • Established
Checked your pics out EFB. That's some sick ink. Same artist for the majority or various artists spread out?

Drizzie88

Drizzie88

Awards
  • Established
That's where I am at. Going to get a bodpod measurement before I start my New Years cut next week.
image-71083132.jpg

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Checked your pics out EFB. That's some sick ink. Same artist for the majority or various artists spread out?
Left side and stomach same artist. Right side different bc I covered a tribal on shoulder

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Well many people can achieve a "flat" stomach that looks nice and tight and be super lean, but just lack the mature development of the abdominals in general. One should begin adding various weight resistance moves to target the abs and work them several times a week. If that isnt the case, then yes....diet.diet.diet.
With the long period of fasting and a very high total weekly caloric expenditure, you may not be refueling sufficiently enough to rebuild muscle and continue burning fat. 2% body fat loss is not a lot and considering your output from activities, i'd expect to see more. You might need to add calories instead of decreasing them. Look at your current deficit and decide from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Was just about to haha, had it on another post of mine. This is past 28 days of a hardcore cut doing leangains / carb backload mix.
That look higher to me than single digits. At that point, you should have marked definition in your serratus in addition to your abs.

vassille

Awards
How much abs one can see at what body fat is more about genetics rather than body fat. THere are ppl with 12%bf that can see abs and some others with 8 are still flat. It all depends where you store your fat on your body.
I think the mirror is a much better way to adjust training and nutrition to achieve a goal, rather than bother with body fat measurments. I mean those are fine for kicks and gigles but in the end the mirror doesnt lie.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How much abs one can see at what body fat is more about genetics rather than body fat. THere are ppl with 12%bf that can see abs and some others with 8 are still flat. It all depends where you store your fat on your body.
I think the mirror is a much better way to adjust training and nutrition to achieve a goal, rather than bother with body fat measurments. I mean those are fine for kicks and gigles but in the end the mirror doesnt lie.
This depends more on the development of the abs themselves. I've seen PL'ers at 15-17%, but look much lower because of all of the heavy ab training that is involved.