diet while traveling

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Over the last few months i've lost my job and regained a new job. unfortunately with this new job i'm going to be traveling VERY frequently for 3-5 days at a time it seems. since i've started ive gained about 8 lbs (not good mass) and made it to the gym all of 3 times. its really really upsetting to me because i worked very hard to transform from 300lb fatty to at the lowest bf i had a 220lb guy at 9% according to calipers.

its pretty difficult to cook in advance for travel like that because some days i get to the office and its, hey you're going to location x for x days, leave as soon as you get a flight out. is there a healthy way to eat at restaurants? should i just go into a "bulk" while im on the road and enjoy my self, while keeping it relatively clean. I'm at an absolute loss and any guidance from guys that travel all the time would be absolutely fantastic.

just for giggles, put your city/state and the chain gyms in the area in your responses. i'm going to get a membership at the most common one that way i can avoid using the unmatching set of dumbbells and the 3 peices of decrepit cardio equipment that every hotel has.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Ya that's pretty tough. The best/cheapest/easiest thing to do would probably be to just get the pre-made stuff at grocery chains, maybe like the chicken? You can buy/make your own salad pretty easily.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Ya that's pretty tough. The best/cheapest/easiest thing to do would probably be to just get the pre-made stuff at grocery chains, maybe like the chicken? You can buy/make your own salad pretty easily.
Are you talking about the frozen dinners? If so bad mistake,those are very bad for you, all the preservatives and sodium...processed meat...

My advice by some whole grain bread and tuna, put some raw green bell pepper or tomatoes on it, also by some fruit and almonds to eat throughout the day...when your at home or at hotels in the evenings get some Tupperware and a rice steamer, steam some rice for a few days...if you have access to an oven by a whole chicken to make to last a few days, add that to your rice,
Also you may have to eat at restaurant 's there are healthy choices...just have them hold sauces and butter...

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Are you talking about the frozen dinners? If so bad mistake,those are very bad for you, all the preservatives and sodium...processed meat...

My advice by some whole grain bread and tuna, put some raw green bell pepper or tomatoes on it, also by some fruit and almonds to eat throughout the day...when your at home or at hotels in the evenings get some Tupperware and a rice steamer, steam some rice for a few days...if you have access to an oven by a whole chicken to make to last a few days, add that to your rice,
Also you may have to eat at restaurant 's there are healthy choices...just have them hold sauces and butter...
This sounds like the best advice for the situation. Loaf of bread, whole wheat or Ezekial. Canned tuna. Almonds/Walnuts. Whole grain shredded wheat cereal. Keep a tub of protein powder with you and a shaker cup. QUEST BARS!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
find recipes to make your own protein bars, yes you can eat healthy at restaurants, justify anything else as a cheat meal

You can always have the "gas station" meal...cliff bar and bottled muscle milk. even if you're stuck with fast food...places like sonic have grilled chicken on a whole wheat bun

squadx

squadx

Awards
I travel 2-3 weeks per month. Week at a time each time...I normally eat some fruit at the hotel I stay at for breakfast.

For my lunches I generally always bring 5 meal replacement shakes for each day, also with a "greens" supp to mix in with it. And a mid morning or mid afternoon depending on my hunger level protein bar.

Dinner really depends, my industry sometimes leads me to very desolate areas of town, that don't have lots of options or known restaurants where you can get the "healthy" meals.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Nearly every restuarants has chicken, salad, and rice or potatos.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
I travel 2-3 weeks per month. Week at a time each time...I normally eat some fruit at the hotel I stay at for breakfast.

For my lunches I generally always bring 5 meal replacement shakes for each day, also with a "greens" supp to mix in with it. And a mid morning or mid afternoon depending on my hunger level protein bar.

Dinner really depends, my industry sometimes leads me to very desolate areas of town, that don't have lots of options or known restaurants where you can get the "healthy" meals.
I don't agree with this, as it's not the healthiest route to go...whole food is always better...5 meal replacement shakes is ridiculous...you do realize its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy food, even if it's a " healthier" option at a fast food place, rather than spending all that money on powder and protein bars...even though you are getting carbs and protein and fats from those supplements, you are still depriving yourself of nutrients that those supplements can't provide...not bashing on you, just don't want the op to think this is the only route to take

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Over the last few months i've lost my job and regained a new job. unfortunately with this new job i'm going to be traveling VERY frequently for 3-5 days at a time it seems. since i've started ive gained about 8 lbs (not good mass) and made it to the gym all of 3 times. its really really upsetting to me because i worked very hard to transform from 300lb fatty to at the lowest bf i had a 220lb guy at 9% according to calipers.

its pretty difficult to cook in advance for travel like that because some days i get to the office and its, hey you're going to location x for x days, leave as soon as you get a flight out. is there a healthy way to eat at restaurants? should i just go into a "bulk" while im on the road and enjoy my self, while keeping it relatively clean. I'm at an absolute loss and any guidance from guys that travel all the time would be absolutely fantastic.

just for giggles, put your city/state and the chain gyms in the area in your responses. i'm going to get a membership at the most common one that way i can avoid using the unmatching set of dumbbells and the 3 peices of decrepit cardio equipment that every hotel has.
Yeah, pretty much gotta stick to the rotisserie chickens and easy microwavable stuff like potatoes or green veggies, which you can eat raw anyway and just have a good warm chicken breast from the rotisserie....of course you also have tuna. I usually carry ziploc baggies of different protein powders, some pouches of tuna, and celery with me just in case.

squadx

squadx

Awards
I don't agree with this, as it's not the healthiest route to go...whole food is always better...5 meal replacement shakes is ridiculous...you do realize its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy food, even if it's a " healthier" option at a fast food place, rather than spending all that money on powder and protein bars...even though you are getting carbs and protein and fats from those supplements, you are still depriving yourself of nutrients that those supplements can't provide...not bashing on you, just don't want the op to think this is the only route to take
On the price you are wrong, between a $1 protein bar, and a meal replacement shake that per box averages out to about $2.80ish/shake. That's a $4 lunch to get through a workday. Then whatever the slight additional cost of adding the 2 scoops of a greens supplement.

I don't believe with vitamins and those items, I'm missing vital nutrients at ONE meal. I also wasn't even specific as to the protein bars or meal replacement shakes, or the greens supplement, but you made an assumption on these nutrients I'm missing. Can you explain which ones I'm missing without even knowing what I drink/eat?

I would also hope the op would take this as an opinion, not as the "route to take". Or they prolly shouldn't be soliciting advice from a message board. I am providing what I do, and what works for me, considering I travel much of the month.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
On the price you are wrong, between a $1 protein bar, and a meal replacement shake that per box averages out to about $2.80ish/shake. That's a $4 lunch to get through a workday. Then whatever the slight additional cost of adding the 2 scoops of a greens supplement.

I don't believe with vitamins and those items, I'm missing vital nutrients at ONE meal. I also wasn't even specific as to the protein bars or meal replacement shakes, or the greens supplement, but you made an assumption on these nutrients I'm missing. Can you explain which ones I'm missing without even knowing what I drink/eat?

I would also hope the op would take this as an opinion, not as the "route to take". Or they prolly shouldn't be soliciting advice from a message board. I am providing what I do, and what works for me, considering I travel much of the month.
mrp shakes and bars are borderline "ok" when youre in an absolute pinch once in a while. its definitely not a legitimate way to live while on the road.

there's been a lot of great ideas thrown out here and im glad to say i've been following a few of them and theyve been working pretty well. thank you all very much for the ideas.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
I'm just going to say that first off this is my opinion..I never stated you were wrong, or that it wouldn't work, so I'm not going to have a debate or whatnot over the internet over something I was basing an opinion on, not stating facts ..I will say that to put into better terms that you may be getting most of the nutrients, but the nutrients you are getting from your supplements are processed or put together in a factory,not natural ..they are less of quality than from whole food..you know what i mean...and Idk what protein bar is one dollar, you don't have to tell me the price or whatnot of the shakes because know protein supplement is cheap... if it was cheaper to buy supplements when traveling than buying food, then everyone would do it... a can of tuna and bag if brown rice is know more than 2 dollars...again my opinion do what you want makes no difference to me, I'd rather buy food in bulk and it last the whole trip, then spend more money on taking supplements than eating whole food...

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
mrp shakes and bars are borderline "ok" when youre in an absolute pinch once in a while. its definitely not a legitimate way to live while on the road.

there's been a lot of great ideas thrown out here and im glad to say i've been following a few of them and theyve been working pretty well. thank you all very much for the ideas.
Glad they have been working for you...yep exactly they are ok in moderation