Before Lifting Meal

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are your before lifting workout meals? Specifically those that lift at 6 AM.

For me it's a PWO and a whey isolate drink that I take while working out. Lately I've been eating a couple hard boiled eggs and wondered if digestion of the protein is delayed due to the eggs.

67nova

Awards
Sometimes i lift fasted or lately i've been eating half an apple and a scoop of whey and sip some bcaa's during(always when fasted)when i do conditioning i just do it fasted.Also take a pre before the apple/shake.Actually have better workouts with some food now(stonger/more energy)

Im in the start of a semi bulk(eating what i should for once)too.

Ducoteycd

Ducoteycd

Awards
Eggs oats and some fruit about an hour or so before I lift (around 7:30 am) has always worked pretty good for me.

Sometimes if I'm feeling lazy I'll just have a protein bar and maybe a scoop of whey or something quick and easy like that but I've always felty best after eating an actual meal.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
2 eggs 4 whites
Turkey sasauge patties
Lowfat cheese with salsa
Either 1c oats or whole wheat bagel with some peanut butter
1 c oj...

I'm bulking ha

Wait atleast an hour before a.m. lift, great strength and energy

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Nothing, i lift fasted with tons of aminos

Kingjake

Kingjake

Awards
I lift fasted too.. White flood. Then sip BCAA's thru out my lift.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Protein bar, banana, and your prewo. Never lift fasted idc what Amino acid supplement your taking always eat before you lift.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I lift fasted too.. White flood. Then sip BCAA's thru out my lift.
I believe its better to not sip on BCAAs intra workout if lifting fasted but rather take them pre workout.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Protein bar, banana, and your prewo. Never lift fasted idc what Amino acid supplement your taking always eat before you lift.
Not saying I agree or disagree because I lift after breakfast, but man that's " broscience" that's not proven that you never should lift fasted...your body is smarter than you think, when it comes to storing nutrients and utilizing those stored nutrients after an intense workout, even fasted...so saying always eat before you lift is misleading to the op

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not saying I agree or disagree because I lift after breakfast, but man that's " broscience" that's not proven that you never should lift fasted...your body is smarter than you think, when it comes to storing nutrients and utilizing those stored nutrients after an intense workout, even fasted...so saying always eat before you lift is misleading to the op
Ya I wish I had some scientific proof to back it up. But I feel like it is common sense especially if your trying to gain weight. If you lift in the morning fasted your body's only source for real energy is what you ate yesterday. And unless you were carb loading all the protein that you ate is already metabolized. And I know that nobody into fitness likes to eat carbs at night. So lifting fasted is only going to put your body into a catabolic state. Because when you wake up your body is in the early stages of starvation craving nourishment and the first thing your body uses for energy while in this state is muscle not fat. It's kinda like overtraining just counterproductive.

aceroni

Awards
Ya I wish I had some scientific proof to back it up. But I feel like it is common sense especially if your trying to gain weight. If you lift in the morning fasted your body's only source for real energy is what you ate yesterday. And unless you were carb loading all the protein that you ate is already metabolized. And I know that nobody into fitness likes to eat carbs at night. So lifting fasted is only going to put your body into a catabolic state. Because when you wake up your body is in the early stages of starvation craving nourishment and the first thing your body uses for energy while in this state is muscle not fat. It's kinda like overtraining just counterproductive.
i agree with lift and eat. It is science your body is catabolic in the morning, in a starving state. If you're trying to grow you shouldn't train fasted..
Usually i'll wake up, eat 4 whole eggs, 3-4oz gd beef or sirloin, and then some carbs (sometimes 2xtoast + jelly w/ banana, othertimes hashbrowns, bagles with nattypb, english muffins, etc)
wait b/w 40min - 1hr then go to gym (4 minute drive) do about 30 minutes of prehab (depending on muscle group maybe less)
then train.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Lol at these posts, so by training fasted im actually using my muscles for energy instead of growing them? Hmmm i wonder how i manage to make steady gains if ive been training wrong for the last few years

Kingjake

Kingjake

Awards
I believe its better to not sip on BCAAs intra workout if lifting fasted but rather take them pre workout.
Noted sipping thru out has worked great for me. But maybe I'll try before for a few weeks n see how it goes.. Always good to try different approaches Even if it just a lil change.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol at these posts, so by training fasted im actually using my muscles for energy instead of growing them? Hmmm i wonder how i manage to make steady gains if ive been training wrong for the last few years
That's why I started this thread. It seems like there is no set preworkout meal or method but please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think you do not know what starvation is as takes much longer than 8-10 hours to even begin to approach this phase. Despite what is purported in the useless muscle magazines, your body will not go into a catabolic state if you train fasted, especially if you consume BCAAs while training. Energy balance is a big picture and hitting macronutrient goals is far more important than specific meals at specific times. Since most do not understand the hormone, cortisol will help to mobilize FFA and will further sensitize the body to insulin once substrate is consumed.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
I didn't say to nvr eat fasted..I know you can make steady gains lifting on an empty stomach, using the nutrients from the night before to fuel your workout ...I just prefer to eat as a personal choice...I know the science and physiology of the body...there's too many threads on this topic and there will always be different answers and controversy , but yes your body is not on starvation mode atleast 72 hours of not eating

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright im just putting in my 2 cents. Everybody is different and if you've been training fasted for years and you think it's working by all means don't stop. But all I know is when I train fasted I get light headed and don't have a great lift.

Ducoteycd

Ducoteycd

Awards
Alright im just putting in my 2 cents. Everybody is different and if you've been training fasted for years and you think it's working by all means don't stop. But all I know is when I train fasted I get light headed and don't have a great lift.
The same thing happens to me. And I start feeling sick by the end.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Thats more reasonable, i feel lethargic if trained non fasted

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thats more reasonable, i feel lethargic if trained non fasted
really? I want to try to train fasted , do you take BCAAs intra workout or just PWO and go? I always thought if you train fasted then you put your body in a catabolic state (dont make fun, it just seems like that would make sense ). How long does it take for your body to enter a catabolic state anyway?

overworked

Awards
I tried training fasted but I felt week and lethargic. I always sip a bcaa , protein , creatine drink during my workout and about thirty minutes before drinking my pwo I eat a peanut butter banana bender ( 1 slice whole grain bread with 3tbs pb and half a banana). It works for me.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
really? I want to try to train fasted , do you take BCAAs intra workout or just PWO and go? I always thought if you train fasted then you put your body in a catabolic state (dont make fun, it just seems like that would make sense ). How long does it take for your body to enter a catabolic state anyway?
I would just take the BCAA pre workout instead of sipping intra if training fasted. I don't think the body enters a catabolic state until anywhere from 48-72 hours. Could be wrong though.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I would just take the BCAA pre workout instead of sipping intra if training fasted. I don't think the body enters a catabolic state until anywhere from 48-72 hours. Could be wrong though.
Basically. I use aminos pre/intra/post.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Basically. I use aminos pre/intra/post.
I mainly go pre and post. If I do an intra drink which I rarely do ill do Gatorade and some bcaa but I don't train fasted.

aasdferic

Awards
I put 15g of bcaas in my blender bottle. fill it up and chug half of it 10 mins before I workout and sip on the rest intra. I used to hate training fasted but then I got busy with school and had to go to the gym early in the morning. u get used to it and I actually prefer it now especially on leg days haha. who can actually hold in their gas as they squat?? lol