once you hit macros, where to put extra cals?

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    alsolooking at westside....i like the explosiveness training
    I'm going to say that you lack the foundation and discipline for conjugate periodization. It's NOT something you just decide to do one day and takes years to fully grasp. It is also not something that you can do solo.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Take a look at Wendler's 5/3/1. It's simple. You can get strong and big at the same time and no more of your 60 set chest workouts.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

3. I'm not familiar with the routine but if it matches your goals, go for it!

Oops, edit, the layne norton routine

4. i like layne nortons routine b/c it gives you the strength training as well as the hypertrpphy as the week goes along.....

5. and yes i am on trt so i dont know if any test boosters woudl do anything...although i had some people tell me erase and endosurge would still help
    •   

6. Lower your volume to a more reasonable level and you probably won't need the TRT. That volume of training takes a huge toll on your levels.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

7. yea.....ive thought of that beingthe reason myhormones areall messed up.although without the trt i literallyproduced lieknothing, mylevelswere like100 if that

8. Are the strength numbers current or all-time PRs?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

9. current, i was alot stronger at a few lbs lighter than right now when iw as playin football

10. right now im torn between 5/3/1 and westside, althoguh i do like layne nortons split because it lets me train 5 days instead of 4 :-)

11. the chest workout you posted before is double the volume of layne nortons PHAT. PHAT is a good program if you follow it

5/3/1 is easy and will meet your goals. buy his e-book online and it'll make more sense. I went from 202-215 in just a few months using 5/3/1.

I don't wanna sound like a dick, but I don't imagine you fully grasp Westside. I still don't

and so what if it's only a 4 day week? you'll want that extra day off. your body needs rest to grow. you aren't letting it do that, especially when you lift for over an hour. lift two on, one off if you'd rather
    [email protected]

12. i think im gonna do the 5/3/1 with the westside template to it so i can doa lil DE work but still track my strength progress easily with the bodybuilding accessory exercises

13. look at the Periodization Bible template w/ 5/3/1
    [email protected]

14. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    i think im gonna do the 5/3/1 with the westside template to it so i can doa lil DE work but still track my strength progress easily with the bodybuilding accessory exercises
    You don't track strength with BB accessories; you do that with the core 4 movements. Like already said, you do not understand conjugate periodization well enough to haphazardly jump into it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

15. sorry thats not what i meant to say, i menat i woudl get the strenght work and do bodybuilding accessories.......i decided on the 5/3/1 westside hybrid

started today

workout looked liek this

Squat 5/3/1 DE DL

Squat
    225x5
    245x5
    255x5

DL
    235x2x8

Leg press
    270x15
    270x15
    270x15
    270x17..........also, only go to failure on last set of my hypertrophy work

Leg Ext.

100x25
    100x25
    100x23+7 quick reps
    105x22+8 quick reps

Glute bridge

245x10
    265x10
    275x10

seated leg curl

130x15
    145x9
    135x12
    135x14

DB RDL

75x15
    90x8
    90x8

weighted decline crunches

30lb 4x10

16. Why is your squat so low? For DE, you generally want to use ~50% of your 1RM. Unless you have a ~470# pull, then your percentage is off.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

17. squat was 5/3/1/ max squat of 305 is waht ai used (suggested to start from 90% 1RM for 1st mesocycle).....75%,80%,85%
    DL was DE at 60% of 90% 1RM (395)....they site i read said to use 60% wand wave up to 70% by the 3rd week.........quick question what are rest periods for DE...........i was doing 60s, also doing like 2-3min for 5/3/1, thanks

18. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    squat was 5/3/1/ max squat of 305 is waht ai used (suggested to start from 90% 1RM for 1st mesocycle).....75%,80%,85%
    DL was DE at 60% of 90% 1RM (395)....they site i read said to use 60% wand wave up to 70% by the 3rd week.........quick question what are rest periods for DE...........i was doing 60s, also doing like 2-3min for 5/3/1, thanks
    Why did you stop at 5 reps on the last set? This set is AMRAP and not limited to only 5. Regarding DE, you need to do a lot more reading on the topic before you jump into it. What you're asking is easily accessible and conjugate information is everywhere on the internet. You using the 90% of your 1RM recommendation for your DE work shows how little you actually read upon the topic.

Honestly, you're overcomplicating everything and doing too much. You haven't even run 5/3/1 as written and you've already bastardized the template. Give it 6 months of consistent work with 5/3/1 as written (do yourself a favor and spend $20 on the ebook) before you start to add twists to it. Wendler is about as credible as it gets in the strength world and having the discipline to stick to the template instead of adding useless volume or new elements will benefit you in the long run.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

19. Swap out leg curls for RDL's or something..

20. you're still doing too much and not in accordance with 5/3/1

where/why did you come up with those assistance exercises?

and as Rodja said, your 3rd working set is to be as many reps as possible. if you can only hit 5, then your 1RM may be wrong

the book tells all. I've seen misleading information on other forums and websites
    [email protected]

21. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Swap out leg curls for RDL's or something..
    and leg ext for something else too
    [email protected]

22. Bro, stick with bench, squats, deads, presses.
    The main point to understand is this, you can go heavy with low volume, but you can NOT go heavy with high volume. You will kill your adrenals and maybe why you are on TRT.

23. http://www.**********************/wor...ng-system.html this i the site i got my info from........ i did not know it was AMRAP fro the 3rd set........you guys still think thats too much? I used to do way more than that throughout high school training for football and im not much older now, whats the difference? i also woudl then go to basketball practice for 2.5 hours and then go to the gym with my mom afterwards and lift more.....worked well then, got a scholarship to play college football.........dont see how turning 21/22 all of a sudden made it that my body couldnt handle this amount? I coudl understand the amount iw as doing before but i guess i dont grasp how the workout i did yest. can be too much when i used t probably do jsut as much if not more plus 2.5 hours of hard basketball everyday

24. it's too much. I'll tell you over and over. everyone else that's come to this thread has said the same thing. stop your workout at an hour. if you're taking longer than that-then you're doing too much, not being methodical in how you do your exercises, not following 5/3/1 how it's written, texting on the phone, looking at ass

as for your last rep, you go all out. that's the set that means the most and that makes you strong. sure that website gives you a quick overview of 5/3/1, but you need to read his book to fully understand it and his training principles. yeah your 4 compound lifts are low rep (even though your 3rd set could vary well be high rep) but he preaches that assistance work should be done 10-20 reps. I promise- if you have 20 bucks and 20 minutes to read it, it will be well worth it. he not only explains the program much better, but also basic principles in strength training.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/12/53...-now-for-sale/
    [email protected]

25. thanks man i really appreciate all the help
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Please read, didnt know where to put this
    By ephedroman in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 11:24 PM
  2. didnt know where to put this so i guessed :)
    By just93 in forum Forum Suggestions and News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 04:15 PM
  3. Dont know where to put this but take a look!
    By just93 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 07:28 AM