TOO much protein?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.23%

TOO much protein?

Is there such a thing?

What would too much protein a day cause?

And secondly, is there such a thing as too much protein while on a testosterone cycle

Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

well on cycle is a total mystery. but 80% of everyone on any fitness forum will throw out that 1.5-2g per lb of body weight bull****. after all, more is better right?
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.23%

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderHumper View Post
    well on cycle is a total mystery. but 80% of everyone on any fitness forum will throw out that 1.5-2g per lb of body weight bull****. after all, more is better right?
    Can protein make you fat? O_o
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Too many calories (over your maintenance level) coming from protein, carbs, or fats can cause you to add body fat.

A lot of excess protein can put added stress on your kidneys as well.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.76%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by breezy11 View Post
    Too many calories (over your maintenance level) coming from protein, carbs, or fats can cause you to add body fat.

A lot of excess protein can put added stress on your kidneys as well.
    Sums up the answer, caloric surplus generates mass gains, it can be lean body mass or fat mass...but lets be real, when on a high surplus it will always yield a body fat gain.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Sums up the answer, caloric surplus generates mass gains, it can be lean body mass or fat mass...but lets be real, when on a high surplus it will always yield a body fat gain.
    +1..
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.11%

Too many people neglect fat and overcompensate with protein
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.23%

Can you overdose protein while on a testosterone cycle
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post
    How much do you weigh? What are your macro splits? What are your goals? Why are you so concerned with overdosing?
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.19%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier
    Wether your on a test cycle or not excess protein isnt always a good thing. I stay at 1g per lean mass, why do you say "overdose"? Its not like you'll wake up in a hospital with tubes in your throat
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.23%

Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    How much do you weigh? What are your macro splits? What are your goals? Why are you so concerned with overdosing?
    Sorry about my wording. By overdosing, I mean using enough that it translates to fat.

I weigh 177 right now, and am 5'11. My goal is to get up to 190, then cut down to around 8% bodyfat. I am currently at around 13%.

My macros are along the lines of 70% protein a day, 20% carbs and 10% fat. I can tell by your earlier post that you will yell at me for this.

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Wether your on a test cycle or not excess protein isnt always a good thing. I stay at 1g per lean mass, why do you say "overdose"? Its not like you'll wake up in a hospital with tubes in your throat

What would you consider excessive amounts of protein, if I am 177 lbs and on a 600mg a week test cyp cycle
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.11%

on cycle or not, your macros are whack. How did you decide on those? 40/30/30 c/f/p. Lift heavy. Some of your gain will be fat. That's just how it works. The inverse is also true.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.19%

Too much pro and not enough fat.
    www.lgsciences.com
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.23%

Should I add a few teaspoons of olive oil a day? How many would you guys recommend?
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.11%

you need a macro tracker. I use my fitness pal but there are others as well.
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

shouldnt you already know basic nutrition before going on a cycle?
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.23%

shouldnt you already know basic nutrition before going on a cycle?
    Rhetorical questions provide no insight. Let me demonstrate

Aren't you too young to be on a forum about steroids?
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier

Rhetorical questions provide no insight. Let me demonstrate

Aren't you too young to be on a forum about steroids?
    arnt you? your the one making the stupid threads with the newby questions. my sccount actually shows my age

heres one for you
    shouldnt you learn how to exercise before using steroids?
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.59%

no he isnt, now go read about nutrition.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

Fact - One pound of mammal muscle contains about 140 grams of protein: The rest (in order of mass) is water, fats, and carbohydrates.
    Fact - It requires approximately 2500-3000 additional kcal to biosynthesize one pound of human muscle
    Fact - No published study (and there are 1000's of them out there) shows any benefit WRT to strength or muscle mass when protein consumption exceeds 1 g/lb of body weight.

Within your muscles you have anabolic capacity and anabolic efficiency. Its more about those latter two terms, along with sufficient energy intake that will dictate muscle gains. Consuming an excess of protein will:
    A. Decrease wallet size
    B. Be deaminated (remove the nitrogen) to ultimately form glucose or fatty acids
    C. Increase the work of the kidneys to filter and excrete the excess nitrogen (ammonia)
    D. Decrease blood pH resulting in a state of mild chronic metabolic acidosis
    E. Which will then result in the excretion of calcium and phosphorus in an attempt to maintain blood pH
    F. All of the above are not good.

Br
    C.
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    Fact - One pound of mammal muscle contains about 140 grams of protein: The rest (in order of mass) is water, fats, and carbohydrates.
    Fact - It requires approximately 2500-3000 additional kcal to biosynthesize one pound of human muscle
    Fact - No published study (and there are 1000's of them out there) shows any benefit WRT to strength or muscle mass when protein consumption exceeds 1 g/lb of body weight.

Within your muscles you have anabolic capacity and anabolic efficiency. Its more about those latter two terms, along with sufficient energy intake that will dictate muscle gains. Consuming an excess of protein will:
    A. Decrease wallet size
    B. Be deaminated (remove the nitrogen) to ultimately form glucose or fatty acids
    C. Increase the work of the kidneys to filter and excrete the excess nitrogen (ammonia)
    E. Which will then result in the excretion of calcium and phosphorus in an attempt to maintain blood pH

Br
    C.
    now do you know anything on the myth of protein synthesis while on cycle? i always agreed on 1g/lb body weight, you just solidified my thoughts
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.19%

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderHumper

now do you know anything on the myth of protein synthesis while on cycle? i always agreed on 1g/lb body weight, you just solidified my thoughts
    Ive used 1g per lean mass with out any problems. Also curious about being on cycle increases synthesis
    www.lgsciences.com
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

Anabolic efficiency and capacity are increased, to what extent, we don't know.

Based on anecdotal evidence, after the water retention is lost, one might gain say 10-15 pounds of muscle on a 10 week cycle? That would equate to an additional 210 grams of protein synthesized into muscle each week for 15 pounds in 10 weeks. In reality, that's about 30-40 grams of extra protein a day. Its supplying the fuel for the biological work that becomes important, or consuming the 4000-5000 calories per week above what is needed to fuel workouts and daily life that I think is most important. What macronutrient that energy comes from (hopefully fat or carbohydrates) should depend on the individual.
  24. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Re: TOO much protein?

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

A. Decrease wallet size

Br
    C.
    Oh my... seems like you are demonizing a high pro diet here. while it may not lead to any more gains over other diets, it certainly isn't as detrimental as you are impyling. Also not everyone goes on a high pro diet for "teh gainz"

A. I would rather spend more money on meat then nutrient void pasta
    B. Not necessarily a bad thing. Glucogenesis isn't evil
    C. Healthy normal functioning kdneys are perfectly capable of handling a higher pro diet
    D. Eat more veggies
    E. See D
    F. None of which are really that bad

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.71%

1. This isn't a forum about steroids, although that information can be found here. Not only are you in the nutrition/health posting but anabolic "simply means to be building. Chicken and sweet potatos are anabolic.
    2. Not enough fats, far too much protein. a 40/40/20 OR 40/30/30 C/P/F is a good ratio for building up. You need all three to properly create new muscle tissue.
    3. Kidney stress from excess protein, although possible but unlikely, causes cell damage and stones from uric acid, calcium, or phosphorous.

-OS-Team AppNut
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech

Ive used 1g per lean mass with out any problems. Also curious about being on cycle increases synthesis
    yea i always preached 1g/lb on cycle as well.

thanks for the answer there dr

and the reason they demonize high protein diets is because its been blown WAY out of proportion by the typical meatheads. think about it. on every forum, including this one, 95% of every advice given about protein suggest 250-350g per day or 1.5-2g/lb bodyweight. i dont even know where people get those numbers, but its pretty stupid. would they follow a cow off a cliff too?
  27. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%

This is all I will say on the topic. If 1gr/lb of bodyweight was sufficient while on cycle, pro bodybuilders would consume ~250gr/day. They usually consume 400-500gr/ day. Take it for what it's worth but I think they have a pretty good handle on nutrition
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.19%

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water
    This is all I will say on the topic. If 1gr/lb of bodyweight was sufficient while on cycle, pro bodybuilders would consume ~250gr/day. They usually consume 400-500gr/ day. Take it for what it's worth but I think they have a pretty good handle on nutrition
    Its hard to compare a pro bodybuilder to the average bodybuilding hobbiest, the pro's i follow also train twice a day which adds to alot of calorie expidenture.
    www.lgsciences.com
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water
    well yeah but they also shoot themselves with 2-6000mg test/week along with other hormones to improve their physique. they dont count as part of the typical lifters like 99.9% of the people on forums. and since we established there is some kind of protein synthesis increase while on cycle, there's would be much higher due to their advanced cycling protocol
  30. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%

If I'm not mistaken the question was about protein intake on cycle? Not training volume, not advanced protocols, not "typical forum lifters". I'll even reduce the specific's of my original statement. As I understand its hard to relate professional level athletes to amateur athletes. My apologies....

If 1gr/lb of body weight was sufficient. Anyone who was on cycle and on stage between 175-195lbs would only consume the equal amount of protein. They do not, their intakes are closer to 300-400gr. Can we agree one who steps on stage at the top of a middle weight class is not a professional level bodybuilder, typically?

I'm just trying to give some clarity on the issue. This forum is supposed to be for discussion and it drives me nuts when I see people getting excited and being brash over a silly subject.
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.19%

Well to each is their own i guess.
    www.lgsciences.com
  32. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Well to each is their own i guess.
    Amen brother.
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Oh my... seems like you are demonizing a high pro diet here. while it may not lead to any more gains over other diets, it certainly isn't as detrimental as you are impyling. Also not everyone goes on a high pro diet for "teh gainz"

A. I would rather spend more money on meat then nutrient void pasta
    B. Not necessarily a bad thing. Glucogenesis isn't evil
    C. Healthy normal functioning kdneys are perfectly capable of handling a higher pro diet
    D. Eat more veggies
    E. See D
    F. None of which are really that bad

This is all true, and personally, I probably consume excess protein myself...but not out of an attempt to improve performance, but for what you mentioned in counter to my "wallet" point - the enjoyment of being a carnivore.

Br
  34. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%

the enjoyment of being a carnivore.

Br
    Raaaaaaarh!!!!
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.72%

A. Decrease wallet size

Br
    C.
    Ok but as long as you're hitting your minimum needs for carbs/protein/fat it won't matter if your surplus cals come from carbs, protein, or fat. Ie 400/100/400 would yield approx the same results as 600/100/200 c/f/p for a 150 lb person wrt body composition (only difference would be in the thermic effect of feeding)
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa View Post
    Ok but as long as you're hitting your minimum needs for carbs/protein/fat it won't matter if your surplus cals come from carbs, protein, or fat. Ie 400/100/400 would yield approx the same results as 600/100/200 c/f/p for a 150 lb person wrt body composition (only difference would be in the thermic effect of feeding)
    That's an interesting question. The thermic effect of protein is about 25% compared to 10 and 4 for carbs and fats, respectively. Which means, if you are relying on protein for calories to fuel protein synthesis, you likely need to consume 125% what you calculate to make up for it. Additionally, the cost of gluconeogenesis, depending on what the demands are might increase that number as well. At least, that is how my train of thought goes...
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.72%

That's an interesting question. The thermic effect of protein is about 25% compared to 10 and 4 for carbs and fats, respectively. Which means, if you are relying on protein for calories to fuel protein synthesis, you likely need to consume 125% what you calculate to make up for it. Additionally, the cost of gluconeogenesis, depending on what the demands are might increase that number as well. At least, that is how my train of thought goes...
    Wouldnt the difference be pretty negligible though? Even with a large increase in protein and corresponding decrease in carbs, maybe 100 cals/day at most?
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa View Post
    Wouldnt the difference be pretty negligible though? Even with a large increase in protein and corresponding decrease in carbs, maybe 100 cals/day at most?
    Yes, you can figure 100 kcals expended in digestion, absoprtion and gng for each 100g of protein consumed. For someone "bulking" likely not a big deal, for someone who is trying to gain very slowly and leanly, might be worth taking into consideration.
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  72k lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.75%

Hi everyone!!According to me Too many calories (over your maintenance level) coming from protein, carbs, or fats can cause you to add body fat.
  40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.23%

Very informative thank you. I was just told and read repeatedly on many different forums that one should intake ~300g of protein a day while doing a test cycle.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Too much protein for breakfast?
    By hyper24 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM
  2. Too Much Protein
    By swangswang in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 01:21 AM
  3. Bobo,TOO much protein & weak bones.....
    By Jag in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 07:15 PM
  4. Bobo,TOO much protein & weak bones.....
    By Jag in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 02:15 AM
  5. too much protein?
    By panman in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 01:00 PM