3 meals or multiple meals?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    redsox129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    31
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    76.25%

    3 meals or multiple meals?


    Hey guys I was wondering if you think it makes a big difference eating 3 meals while reaching your macros or eating multiple meals to reach them?

  2. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629267
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    36.84%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I would rather just eat 3 or 4 meals.
  3. New Member
    redsox129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    31
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    76.25%

    Right? I feel like the whole "6-7" meals thing is a lot of hyped up mess.
    •   
       

  4. Diamond Member
    mattrag's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,027
    Rep Power
    335101
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    9.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    the more meals per day is mainly, I feel to get people to eat enough. And primarily enough protein. My wife looks at the amount of protein I eat and can't fanthom eating all that in one sitting. So the meals spread thoughout the day thing helps them cope with eating like 150-200g protein a day from eating like 10gs.
    With that said, Layne Norton has stated that research shows that you can't "Make up" for lost protein synthesis time. i.e. you probably won't make the BEST gains if you ate all your protein in one meal and just starved the rest of the day.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  5. New Member
    redsox129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    31
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    76.25%

    Well if layne norton says it then it must be somewhat true lol
  6. Diamond Member
    mattrag's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,027
    Rep Power
    335101
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    9.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by redsox129 View Post
    Well if layne norton says it then it must be somewhat true lol
    I think he suggests 3-4 meals, with BCAAs in between.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  7. New Member
    redsox129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    31
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    76.25%

    How many grams of BCAA'S?
  8. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629267
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    36.84%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    the more meals per day is mainly, I feel to get people to eat enough. And primarily enough protein. My wife looks at the amount of protein I eat and can't fanthom eating all that in one sitting. So the meals spread thoughout the day thing helps them cope with eating like 150-200g protein a day from eating like 10gs.
    With that said, Layne Norton has stated that research shows that you can't "Make up" for lost protein synthesis time. i.e. you probably won't make the BEST gains if you ate all your protein in one meal and just starved the rest of the day.
    That is true, it can be harder to get in all the protein in fewer meals. Today for my 1st meal, at 12pm since I skip breakfast, I had a little over a pound of ground beef(90/10) and bratwurst with brussel sprouts. So in that meal I had about 110 grams of protein. Pretty sure most people couldnt handle that on a daily basis.
  9. Diamond Member
    mattrag's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,027
    Rep Power
    335101
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    9.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by redsox129 View Post
    How many grams of BCAA'S?
    I believe 2.5g of leu cine was enough to initiate protein synthesis.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  10. New Member
    redsox129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    31
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    76.25%

    Awesome dude ill take that advice!
  11. Advanced Member
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    46442
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    82.29%

    I read that eating small meals every 2-3 hours allows your body to increase its metabolism
  12. Senior Member
    PuZo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,439
    Rep Power
    409378
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    40.37%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Whatever works best for you. Just stay consistent with it.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  13. New Member
    redsox129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    31
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    76.25%

    Yeah I feel it's just easier to eat 3-4 times a day healthy
  14. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629267
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    36.84%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    I read that eating small meals every 2-3 hours allows your body to increase its metabolism
    It can keep insulin levels raise all day. Which some consider a good thing while others dont.
  15. New Member
    redsox129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    31
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    76.25%

    Why wouldn't that be considered a benefit?
  16. Elite Member
    tyga tyga's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,169
    Rep Power
    2686918
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    15.79%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Doesnt matter with meal frequency. Just reach your kcaloric value, whether its maintence, deficite or a surplus. The timing doesnt matter.
    MYOKEM ATHLETE & REP
    BJOHNSON15 @MYOKEM.COM FOR 15% OFF

    PSALMS 62:1- 62:2
  17. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,989
    Rep Power
    2644376
    Level
    80
    Lv. Percent
    75.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Re: 3 meals or multiple meals?


    At the end of the day it doesn't really matter as long as you hit your targeted calorie and macro intake
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  18. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629267
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    36.84%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by redsox129
    Why wouldn't that be considered a benefit?
    Insulin causes cell growth. It doesn't care if those cells are fat or muscle.
  19. Enhanced Body Formulations
    EBF Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,646
    Rep Power
    1594947
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    21.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    To be technical as you approach a higher body fat more frequent meals are bad.

    Less meals are better due to Leptin resistance found on the pancreas

    Essentially Leptin binding to receptors on the pancreas stops the secretion of insulin. When there's a resistance it causes huperinsulinemia with subsequent low blood glucose and the bodies failed ability to increase blood sugar due to the livers inability to regulate itself
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  20. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,510
    Rep Power
    4398091
    Level
    81
    Lv. Percent
    18.16%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    I read that eating small meals every 2-3 hours allows your body to increase its metabolism
    Meal frequency has no direct correlation to metabolism. See "bulking" sub-forum and "meals" thread for a debate that is on this exact topic.
  21. New Member
    WPChickDiesel's Avatar
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    44498
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    57.16%

    I recently read in the latest issue of Muscle and Fitness, that although 3-4 regular meals with pre-post workout shakes or snacks to total 5-6 meals, if muscle gain is your goal, consuming no less than 20g of protein at least every 1.5-2hrs would elicit the best results.

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    National Level NPC Competitor
    Sponsored Athlete for Muscle Gauge Nutrition
    www.facebook.com/VanessaValdez.National.Competi tor
  22. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    804
    Rep Power
    188240
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    I think he suggests 3-4 meals, with BCAAs in between.
    Yeah, the key is protein synthesis and the more time you are fueling the process in a given day the better. Be it 6-7 meals or 3 large meals and a couple protein snacks or supplements, you are only giving yourself an advantage by staying fed.
  23. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,510
    Rep Power
    4398091
    Level
    81
    Lv. Percent
    18.16%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    Yeah, the key is protein synthesis and the more time you are fueling the process in a given day the better. Be it 6-7 meals or 3 large meals and a couple protein snacks or supplements, you are only giving yourself an advantage by staying fed.
    Yet you still have no studies to prove this is correct.
  24. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    804
    Rep Power
    188240
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Yet you still have no studies to prove this is correct.
    In the last thread, the discussion was regarding meal frequency and metabolic rate. I did post a study clearly demonstrating frequent meals having a greater effect on increasing the metabolism over infrequent meals. Maybe you didn't see it, I don't know. In that thread, protein sysnthesis was mentioned and ignored on both sides as a different topic altogether, and it would seem everyone agreed taking advantage is important. Intermittent Fasting vs. traditional frequent meals was the topic (though we were discussing metabolsim there) and even IF diets utilize BCAA's during the "fasting" phase to allow for protein synthesis, which is what we are discussing here.

    I can not post links yet, I don't have 150 posts but if you are truly interested, google "Optimal Protein Intake and Meal Frequency to Support Maximal Protein Synthesis and Muscle Mass" By Layne Norton.

    He will discuss frequent meals to keep protein synthesis going plus amino supplements in between for additional spikes.

    If you are going to choose to ignore this study too, one of many, I can't help you and I'm not interested in a baseless internet argument where I do provide requested information only to have it ignored. My hope in posting is that some of my knowledge that I've applied successfully, seen many others apply successfully and that does have research to back it will be absorbed by curious, learning lifters. I am not here to argue with people dogmatically defending a single dietary protocol, one of many, that has been shown to work empirically and in the lab. I have and still acknowledge that IF diets do work, but I'm not so ignorant to believe they are the only diets that work or even the best, and yes, I will continue posting about strategies that I use.

    If you choose to discount or ignore this study, that is your prerogative but you are only limiting yourself. I won't be posting all of the internet available research on common topics ad infinitum. Both studies, on both threads, are on point. Take from them what you will. If you're smart, you'll do your own researching and continue learning and growing though, add to your tool belt.
  25. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33855
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    In the last thread, the discussion was regarding meal frequency and metabolic rate. I did post a study clearly demonstrating frequent meals having a greater effect on increasing the metabolism over infrequent meals. Maybe you didn't see it, I don't know. In that thread, protein sysnthesis was mentioned and ignored on both sides as a different topic altogether, and it would seem everyone agreed taking advantage is important. Intermittent Fasting vs. traditional frequent meals was the topic (though we were discussing metabolsim there) and even IF diets utilize BCAA's during the "fasting" phase to allow for protein synthesis, which is what we are discussing here.

    I can not post links yet, I don't have 150 posts but if you are truly interested, google "Optimal Protein Intake and Meal Frequency to Support Maximal Protein Synthesis and Muscle Mass" By Layne Norton.

    He will discuss frequent meals to keep protein synthesis going plus amino supplements in between for additional spikes.

    If you are going to choose to ignore this study too, one of many, I can't help you and I'm not interested in a baseless internet argument where I do provide requested information only to have it ignored. My hope in posting is that some of my knowledge that I've applied successfully, seen many others apply successfully and that does have research to back it will be absorbed by curious, learning lifters. I am not here to argue with people dogmatically defending a single dietary protocol, one of many, that has been shown to work empirically and in the lab. I have and still acknowledge that IF diets do work, but I'm not so ignorant to believe they are the only diets that work or even the best, and yes, I will continue posting about strategies that I use.

    If you choose to discount or ignore this study, that is your prerogative but you are only limiting yourself. I won't be posting all of the internet available research on common topics ad infinitum. Both studies, on both threads are on point. Take from them what you will. If you're smart, you'll do your own researching and continue learning and growing though, add to your tool belt.
    http://mindandmuscle.pbworks.com/f/I...0806_Layne.pdf

    Just to point out, this is by no means a study made with a control group and a test group, these are theories posted by someone in the field, much like what anyone can do and have it published on -insert your random blog or magazine here-. There is a difference between a "study" and a powerpoint presentation, study is backed with scientific data, an article can be written by anyone; hell, I could probably find articles to support whatever I wanted, if you want actual, verifiable information, http:.//scholar.google.com is your friend.

    And there haven't been much correlating the two or showing how it will actually increase, in fact, there have been actual studies in regards to carb back-loading as well as keeping as much nutrients to be consumed after your meal rather than throughout the day.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  26. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    804
    Rep Power
    188240
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post

    Just to point out, this is by no means a study made with a control group and a test group, these are theories posted by someone in the field, much like what anyone can do and have it published on -insert your random blog or magazine here-. There is a difference between a "study" and a powerpoint presentation, study is backed with scientific data, an article can be written by anyone; hell, I could probably find articles to support whatever I wanted, if you want actual, verifiable information....

    And there haven't been much correlating the two or showing how it will actually increase, in fact, there have been actual studies in regards to carb back-loading as well as keeping as much nutrients to be consumed after your meal rather than throughout the day.
    Just to point out, test subjects were utilized in the various referenced studies used to form the theories, Bla55 most likely chose not to read them to find the context for ideas proposed and is only exercising knee-jerk skepticism.

    Let's flip things around a little bit:

    You seem to be using intermittent fasting, Bla55, and have a hard time believing any other diets are effective given the tone of your posts.

    In the context of this thread, we are discussing the anabolism of food, especially protein. My position is that the consistent intake of amino acids leads to more protein synthesis and less catabolism.

    Intermittent fasting diets recommend BCAA usage between meals and pre-workout. Why? Defend the position of leangain bcaa use. Playing devil's advocate, I'm callin bs. You don't need to take in aminos during a fast, even if you are about to work out.

    *bla's post edited for links that I can't reply with.
  27. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    804
    Rep Power
    188240
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Meal frequency has no direct correlation to metabolism. See "bulking" sub-forum and "meals" thread for a debate that is on this exact topic.
    To be clear, the argument was whether or not the spike in metabolism food creates can be manipulated for weight loss or not. But to reply here:

    "An irregular meal pattern (i.e. 3 meals on one day, 9 meals the next day, 6 meals the next day, etc...) has been shown to induce a significantly lower thermic effect of food than a regular meal pattern (i.e. a consistent 6 meals per day) that has the same total amount of calories."
    Farshchi HR, Taylor MA, Macdonald IA. Decreased thermic effect of food after an irregular compared with a regular meal pattern in healthy lean women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 May;28(5):653-60.


    You'll have to go read the full study yourself though, still can't post links.
  28. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33855
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    To be clear, the argument was whether or not the spike in metabolism food creates can be manipulated for weight loss or not. But to reply here:

    "An irregular meal pattern (i.e. 3 meals on one day, 9 meals the next day, 6 meals the next day, etc...) has been shown to induce a significantly lower thermic effect of food than a regular meal pattern (i.e. a consistent 6 meals per day) that has the same total amount of calories."
    Farshchi HR, Taylor MA, Macdonald IA. Decreased thermic effect of food after an irregular compared with a regular meal pattern in healthy lean women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 May;28(5):653-60.


    You'll have to go read the full study yourself though, still can't post links.
    From your study:

    "RESULTS:

    There were no significant differences in body weight and 3-day mean energy intake between the regular and irregular meal pattern. In the irregular period, the mean energy intake on the day when 9 meals were eaten was significantly greater than when 6 or 3 meals were consumed (P=0.0001). There was no significant difference between the 3 days of the regular meal pattern. Subjective appetite measurement showed no significant differences before and after the test meal in all visits. Fasting RMR showed no significant differences over the experiment. The overall thermic effect of food (TEF) over the 3 h after the test meal was significantly lower after the irregular meal pattern (P=0.003)."


    The study talks about regular or irregular meals. I.e. eating at the same time every day or random times. No significant difference when the meals were regularly eaten, whether it was 3, 6, or 9 meals a day.

    This speaks for meal regularity, not meal frequency.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15085170
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  29. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33855
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    Just to point out, test subjects were utilized in the various referenced studies used to form the theories, Bla55 most likely chose not to read them to find the context for ideas proposed and is only exercising knee-jerk skepticism. Let's flip things around a little bit: You seem to be using intermittent fasting, Bla55, and have a hard time believing any other diets are effective given the tone of your posts. In the context of this thread, we are discussing the anabolism of food, especially protein. My position is that the consistent intake of amino acids leads to more protein synthesis and less catabolism. Intermittent fasting diets recommend BCAA usage between meals and pre-workout. Why? Defend the position of leangain bcaa use. Playing devil's advocate, I'm callin bs. You don't need to take in aminos during a fast, even if you are about to work out. *bla's post edited for links that I can't reply with.
    Hadn't seen this one; what I'm discussing is the need for multiple meals or just one. Leangains promotes the BCAA when doing cardio or working out in the morning, at the same time it also promotes for the biggest meal of the day to be after your workout and with the majority of your daily calories, which would then counteract the purpose of eating smaller meals a day.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  30. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    804
    Rep Power
    188240
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    From your study:

    "RESULTS:

    There were no significant differences in body weight and 3-day mean energy intake between the regular and irregular meal pattern. In the irregular period, the mean energy intake on the day when 9 meals were eaten was significantly greater than when 6 or 3 meals were consumed (P=0.0001). There was no significant difference between the 3 days of the regular meal pattern. Subjective appetite measurement showed no significant differences before and after the test meal in all visits. Fasting RMR showed no significant differences over the experiment. The overall thermic effect of food (TEF) over the 3 h after the test meal was significantly lower after the irregular meal pattern (P=0.003)."


    The study talks about regular or irregular meals. I.e. eating at the same time every day or random times. No significant difference when the meals were regularly eaten, whether it was 3, 6, or 9 meals a day.

    This speaks for meal regularity, not meal frequency.
    The study is showing that there was no significant difference between the caloric intake of meals on the steady diet and intermittent, and that overall the caloric intake between both diets had no significant difference, although the caloric intake of the intermittent diet varied greatly per meal from day to day, which it would have to do in order to maintain the same level of caloric intake over a given time. I think you are interpreting it incorrectly, they are outlining the "ceteris paribus" basis of the study. One of your bold marks does support your argument though, no significant weight changes were noticed in the short term.

    To be sure, this is what the authors found:


    CONCLUSION: Irregular meal frequency led to a lower postprandial energy expenditure compared with the regular meal frequency, while the mean energy intake was not significantly different between the two. The reduced TEF with the irregular meal frequency may lead to weight gain in the long term.


    Here is another study on a diet's effect although, again, this gets in to nutrient timing considering proteins higher TEF value (various diets work through various metabolic pathways, ftr):

    Reduced postprandial energy expenditure and increased exogenous fat oxidation in young woman after ingestion of test meals with a low protein contentKlaus J Petzke and Susanne Klaus
  31. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,545
    Rep Power
    1213212
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    58.27%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Name:  not-this-again.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  54.1 KB
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  32. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33855
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    The study is showing that there was no significant difference between the caloric intake of meals on the steady diet and intermittent, and that overall the caloric intake between both diets had no significant difference, although the caloric intake of the intermittent diet varied greatly per meal from day to day, which it would have to do in order to maintain the same level of caloric intake over a given time. I think you are interpreting it incorrectly, they are outlining the "ceteris paribus" basis of the study. One of your bold marks does support your argument though, no significant weight changes were noticed in the short term.

    To be sure, this is what the authors found:


    CONCLUSION: Irregular meal frequency led to a lower postprandial energy expenditure compared with the regular meal frequency, while the mean energy intake was not significantly different between the two. The reduced TEF with the irregularmeal frequency may lead to weight gain in the long term.


    Here is another study on a diet's effect although, again, this gets in to nutrient timing considering proteins higher TEF value (various diets work through various metabolic pathways, ftr):

    Reduced postprandial energy expenditure and increased exogenous fat oxidation in young woman after ingestion of test meals with a low protein contentKlaus J Petzke and Susanne Klaus
    Not the amount of meals, the regularity they are consumed day in and day out. They say "There was no significant difference between the 3 days of the regular meal pattern" (i.e. whehter 3, 6 or 9 meals a day). I can't really help you if you are unable to interpret that.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  33. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    804
    Rep Power
    188240
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Hadn't seen this one; what I'm discussing is the need for multiple meals or just one. Leangains promotes the BCAA when doing cardio or working out in the morning, at the same time it also promotes for the biggest meal of the day to be after your workout and with the majority of your daily calories, which would then counteract the purpose of eating smaller meals a day.
    Right, and if eating a large meal here and there counteracts the need to eat more frequently (from a caloric intake perspective), why do you use BCAA's? If intermittent fasting can stand on it's own legs, you shouldn't need to supplement with nutrients during your fasting period. Taking in BCAA's and protein shakes* isn't fasting at all. It's nutrient timing disguised as fasting, and the diet requires frequent nutrient intake at that.

    It's not really any different than simply eating through out the day at all, just re-packaged high protein/nutrient timing/targeted macros like every other bodybuilding diet. They just craftilly have you re-arrange your calories so they can stand out as "different" while feeding you all the protein you need in between to halt catabolism. It's simply an exercise in semantics.

    If you prefer to eat that way so be it, but it's not any different than eating slow and steady at all. Just more gimmicky. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Again, I don't care who does what if they find the results they want, I do find it odd people argue other diets so vehemently when their own isn't all that different in principle and application.

    *BCAAs are Branched Chain Amino Acids. They are a group of 3 amino acids which work to alleviate or prevent muscle loss during intense and fasted exercise, with Leucine being a very important amino acid.

    To simplify, BCAAs are source of fuel/energy for your body when working out to ensure no muscle loss happens.

    If you prefer Whey Protein, take it. If you have eaten, BCAAs are not needed.


    Straight from leangains FAQ section. They agree a steady stream of nutrients is necessary, they simply re-package the delivery.

    Also from their website:

    It keeps you full (satiated). And it has a high thermal effect (to get into it, the Atwater-formula from the 19th century states that 1g protein = 4 kcal energy. Factoring in TEF, it can be argued that the net effect of each gram of protein is really 3-3.2 kcal/gram).

    A nod to TEF, factoring in to leangains.
  34. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    804
    Rep Power
    188240
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Not the amount of meals, the regularity they are consumed day in and day out. They say "There was no significant difference between the 3 days of the regular meal pattern" (i.e. whehter 3, 6 or 9 meals a day). I can't really help you if you are unable to interpret that.
    And I can't help you if you are going to ignore the conclusion. You are off. Sorry.
  35. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33855
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I am not ignoring, I am 100% supportive that IRREGULAR meal pattern will cause changes and "MAY" cause weight increase in the long run. With that said, eating once at 8AM and once at 8PM everyday is a regular pattern, with 2 meals a day. Eating every 3 hours, starting at 8AM until 8PM is also a regular pattern, and they show no significant change in metabolism.

    Can't be any more clear than that.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  36. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,510
    Rep Power
    4398091
    Level
    81
    Lv. Percent
    18.16%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    To be clear, the argument was whether or not the spike in metabolism food creates can be manipulated for weight loss or not. But to reply here:

    "An irregular meal pattern (i.e. 3 meals on one day, 9 meals the next day, 6 meals the next day, etc...) has been shown to induce a significantly lower thermic effect of food than a regular meal pattern (i.e. a consistent 6 meals per day) that has the same total amount of calories."
    Farshchi HR, Taylor MA, Macdonald IA. Decreased thermic effect of food after an irregular compared with a regular meal pattern in healthy lean women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 May;28(5):653-60.


    You'll have to go read the full study yourself though, still can't post links.
    Ehh, this post does not reinforce your argument. It is for IRREGULAR meal patterns; what about 3 meals per day EVERY day (i.e. a regular meal pattern?).

    Study is pointless in regards to this debate.
  37. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33855
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Ehh, this post does not reinforce your argument. It is for IRREGULAR meal patterns; what about 3 meals per day EVERY day (i.e. a regular meal pattern?).

    Study is pointless in regards to this debate.
    Thank you, hopefully we can get past this now and move on to the fact that it's personal choice and does not hold any verifiable benefits to eat more times a day.

    As far as the BCAA, it's recommended on Leangains to not promote muscle loss if working out fasted. If you workout, yes, you will need nutrients, with BCAA you're not needed to break fast in order to do Cardio, which allows you to train more without breaking your fast.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  38. Enhanced Body Formulations
    EBF Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,646
    Rep Power
    1594947
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    21.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy

    And I can't help you if you are going to ignore the conclusion. You are off. Sorry.
    Just want to say it takes more than 3 days to really show the damage of what it can due but it relates to Leptin,gip, and insulin. The harmful effects won't show for a while.
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  39. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,989
    Rep Power
    2644376
    Level
    80
    Lv. Percent
    75.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Re: 3 meals or multiple meals?


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Name:  not-this-again.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  54.1 KB
    LOL, I have been reading and debating posting
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  40. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    804
    Rep Power
    188240
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Thank you, hopefully we can get past this now and move on to the fact that it's personal choice and does not hold any verifiable benefits to eat more times a day.

    As far as the BCAA, it's recommended on Leangains to not promote muscle loss if working out fasted. If you workout, yes, you will need nutrients, with BCAA you're not needed to break fast in order to do Cardio, which allows you to train more without breaking your fast.
    I guess if we want to play with the definition of fasting. In application, leangains is a diet taking advantage of nutrient timing and frequent intake of aminos like the diet some of you have been slamming for lack of research reardin the aforementioned points of discussion. Well, not research you bro's dub worthy anyways, and let's be honest, no study or empirical evidence (all of bodybuilding, powerlifting and other weight training sports pre-2010 or so) supporting an idea outside of your pre-determined ideology will be legitimate, at least not to you. Which brings me back to my original point that leangains is one of many diets shown to be effective and it's weird people are so dogmatically religious about it when it isn't even all that ground breaking to begin with. I'm not even sure what the argument is about any more.

    It started in a discussion where a guy was having trouble reaching his daily macros and it was recommended he skip a meal, lol. Then it took multiple twists and turns and it's kinda weird that it resurfaced in a discussion about protein synthesis when IF diets utilize a barage of aminos too, though I realize it wasn't you confusing that distinction, however, multiple similar but different conversations have fused to a weird, senseless argument.

    I get it, right now leangains is the doggcrap/testosterone/atkins/any other diet and people will follow it as dogmatically as the others until a new one that isn't really all that different but packaged really cool comes around. Have at it. You are all taking advantage of nutrient timing and high and frequent protein intake just like the diets you are slamming for lack of research. What ever works for you.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Cordygen5 with meals or empty stomach?
    By superstar in forum Millennium Sport Technologies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 10:27 PM
  2. AP before PWO shake or PWO meal?
    By machwon04 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 12:46 AM
  3. Oats or Malto Meal ??
    By Stinger124 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 01:36 AM
  4. All you can eat buffet counts as multiple meals?
    By Beefy6969 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in