3 meals or multiple meals?

redsox129

redsox129

Awards
Hey guys I was wondering if you think it makes a big difference eating 3 meals while reaching your macros or eating multiple meals to reach them?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would rather just eat 3 or 4 meals.

redsox129

redsox129

Awards
Right? I feel like the whole "6-7" meals thing is a lot of hyped up mess.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the more meals per day is mainly, I feel to get people to eat enough. And primarily enough protein. My wife looks at the amount of protein I eat and can't fanthom eating all that in one sitting. So the meals spread thoughout the day thing helps them cope with eating like 150-200g protein a day from eating like 10gs.
With that said, Layne Norton has stated that research shows that you can't "Make up" for lost protein synthesis time. i.e. you probably won't make the BEST gains if you ate all your protein in one meal and just starved the rest of the day.

redsox129

redsox129

Awards
Well if layne norton says it then it must be somewhat true lol

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the more meals per day is mainly, I feel to get people to eat enough. And primarily enough protein. My wife looks at the amount of protein I eat and can't fanthom eating all that in one sitting. So the meals spread thoughout the day thing helps them cope with eating like 150-200g protein a day from eating like 10gs.
With that said, Layne Norton has stated that research shows that you can't "Make up" for lost protein synthesis time. i.e. you probably won't make the BEST gains if you ate all your protein in one meal and just starved the rest of the day.
That is true, it can be harder to get in all the protein in fewer meals. Today for my 1st meal, at 12pm since I skip breakfast, I had a little over a pound of ground beef(90/10) and bratwurst with brussel sprouts. So in that meal I had about 110 grams of protein. Pretty sure most people couldnt handle that on a daily basis.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I read that eating small meals every 2-3 hours allows your body to increase its metabolism

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Whatever works best for you. Just stay consistent with it.

redsox129

redsox129

Awards
Yeah I feel it's just easier to eat 3-4 times a day healthy

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I read that eating small meals every 2-3 hours allows your body to increase its metabolism
It can keep insulin levels raise all day. Which some consider a good thing while others dont.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doesnt matter with meal frequency. Just reach your kcaloric value, whether its maintence, deficite or a surplus. The timing doesnt matter.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At the end of the day it doesn't really matter as long as you hit your targeted calorie and macro intake

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To be technical as you approach a higher body fat more frequent meals are bad.

Less meals are better due to Leptin resistance found on the pancreas

Essentially Leptin binding to receptors on the pancreas stops the secretion of insulin. When there's a resistance it causes huperinsulinemia with subsequent low blood glucose and the bodies failed ability to increase blood sugar due to the livers inability to regulate itself

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Meal frequency has no direct correlation to metabolism. See "bulking" sub-forum and "meals" thread for a debate that is on this exact topic.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
I recently read in the latest issue of Muscle and Fitness, that although 3-4 regular meals with pre-post workout shakes or snacks to total 5-6 meals, if muscle gain is your goal, consuming no less than 20g of protein at least every 1.5-2hrs would elicit the best results.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

TexasGuy

Awards
I think he suggests 3-4 meals, with BCAAs in between.
Yeah, the key is protein synthesis and the more time you are fueling the process in a given day the better. Be it 6-7 meals or 3 large meals and a couple protein snacks or supplements, you are only giving yourself an advantage by staying fed.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, the key is protein synthesis and the more time you are fueling the process in a given day the better. Be it 6-7 meals or 3 large meals and a couple protein snacks or supplements, you are only giving yourself an advantage by staying fed.
Yet you still have no studies to prove this is correct.

TexasGuy

Awards
Yet you still have no studies to prove this is correct.
In the last thread, the discussion was regarding meal frequency and metabolic rate. I did post a study clearly demonstrating frequent meals having a greater effect on increasing the metabolism over infrequent meals. Maybe you didn't see it, I don't know. In that thread, protein sysnthesis was mentioned and ignored on both sides as a different topic altogether, and it would seem everyone agreed taking advantage is important. Intermittent Fasting vs. traditional frequent meals was the topic (though we were discussing metabolsim there) and even IF diets utilize BCAA's during the "fasting" phase to allow for protein synthesis, which is what we are discussing here.

I can not post links yet, I don't have 150 posts but if you are truly interested, google "Optimal Protein Intake and Meal Frequency to Support Maximal Protein Synthesis and Muscle Mass" By Layne Norton.

He will discuss frequent meals to keep protein synthesis going plus amino supplements in between for additional spikes.

If you are going to choose to ignore this study too, one of many, I can't help you and I'm not interested in a baseless internet argument where I do provide requested information only to have it ignored. My hope in posting is that some of my knowledge that I've applied successfully, seen many others apply successfully and that does have research to back it will be absorbed by curious, learning lifters. I am not here to argue with people dogmatically defending a single dietary protocol, one of many, that has been shown to work empirically and in the lab. I have and still acknowledge that IF diets do work, but I'm not so ignorant to believe they are the only diets that work or even the best, and yes, I will continue posting about strategies that I use.

If you choose to discount or ignore this study, that is your prerogative but you are only limiting yourself. I won't be posting all of the internet available research on common topics ad infinitum. Both studies, on both threads, are on point. Take from them what you will. If you're smart, you'll do your own researching and continue learning and growing though, add to your tool belt.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
In the last thread, the discussion was regarding meal frequency and metabolic rate. I did post a study clearly demonstrating frequent meals having a greater effect on increasing the metabolism over infrequent meals. Maybe you didn't see it, I don't know. In that thread, protein sysnthesis was mentioned and ignored on both sides as a different topic altogether, and it would seem everyone agreed taking advantage is important. Intermittent Fasting vs. traditional frequent meals was the topic (though we were discussing metabolsim there) and even IF diets utilize BCAA's during the "fasting" phase to allow for protein synthesis, which is what we are discussing here.

I can not post links yet, I don't have 150 posts but if you are truly interested, google "Optimal Protein Intake and Meal Frequency to Support Maximal Protein Synthesis and Muscle Mass" By Layne Norton.

He will discuss frequent meals to keep protein synthesis going plus amino supplements in between for additional spikes.

If you are going to choose to ignore this study too, one of many, I can't help you and I'm not interested in a baseless internet argument where I do provide requested information only to have it ignored. My hope in posting is that some of my knowledge that I've applied successfully, seen many others apply successfully and that does have research to back it will be absorbed by curious, learning lifters. I am not here to argue with people dogmatically defending a single dietary protocol, one of many, that has been shown to work empirically and in the lab. I have and still acknowledge that IF diets do work, but I'm not so ignorant to believe they are the only diets that work or even the best, and yes, I will continue posting about strategies that I use.

If you choose to discount or ignore this study, that is your prerogative but you are only limiting yourself. I won't be posting all of the internet available research on common topics ad infinitum. Both studies, on both threads are on point. Take from them what you will. If you're smart, you'll do your own researching and continue learning and growing though, add to your tool belt.
http://mindandmuscle.pbworks.com/f/ISSNConference_200806_Layne.pdf

Just to point out, this is by no means a study made with a control group and a test group, these are theories posted by someone in the field, much like what anyone can do and have it published on -insert your random blog or magazine here-. There is a difference between a "study" and a powerpoint presentation, study is backed with scientific data, an article can be written by anyone; hell, I could probably find articles to support whatever I wanted, if you want actual, verifiable information, http:.//scholar.google.com is your friend.

And there haven't been much correlating the two or showing how it will actually increase, in fact, there have been actual studies in regards to carb back-loading as well as keeping as much nutrients to be consumed after your meal rather than throughout the day.

TexasGuy

Awards
Just to point out, this is by no means a study made with a control group and a test group, these are theories posted by someone in the field, much like what anyone can do and have it published on -insert your random blog or magazine here-. There is a difference between a "study" and a powerpoint presentation, study is backed with scientific data, an article can be written by anyone; hell, I could probably find articles to support whatever I wanted, if you want actual, verifiable information....

And there haven't been much correlating the two or showing how it will actually increase, in fact, there have been actual studies in regards to carb back-loading as well as keeping as much nutrients to be consumed after your meal rather than throughout the day.
Just to point out, test subjects were utilized in the various referenced studies used to form the theories, Bla55 most likely chose not to read them to find the context for ideas proposed and is only exercising knee-jerk skepticism.

Let's flip things around a little bit:

You seem to be using intermittent fasting, Bla55, and have a hard time believing any other diets are effective given the tone of your posts.

In the context of this thread, we are discussing the anabolism of food, especially protein. My position is that the consistent intake of amino acids leads to more protein synthesis and less catabolism.

Intermittent fasting diets recommend BCAA usage between meals and pre-workout. Why? Defend the position of leangain bcaa use. Playing devil's advocate, I'm callin bs. You don't need to take in aminos during a fast, even if you are about to work out.

*bla's post edited for links that I can't reply with.

TexasGuy

Awards
Meal frequency has no direct correlation to metabolism. See "bulking" sub-forum and "meals" thread for a debate that is on this exact topic.
To be clear, the argument was whether or not the spike in metabolism food creates can be manipulated for weight loss or not. But to reply here:

"An irregular meal pattern (i.e. 3 meals on one day, 9 meals the next day, 6 meals the next day, etc...) has been shown to induce a significantly lower thermic effect of food than a regular meal pattern (i.e. a consistent 6 meals per day) that has the same total amount of calories."
Farshchi HR, Taylor MA, Macdonald IA. Decreased thermic effect of food after an irregular compared with a regular meal pattern in healthy lean women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 May;28(5):653-60.

You'll have to go read the full study yourself though, still can't post links.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
To be clear, the argument was whether or not the spike in metabolism food creates can be manipulated for weight loss or not. But to reply here:

"An irregular meal pattern (i.e. 3 meals on one day, 9 meals the next day, 6 meals the next day, etc...) has been shown to induce a significantly lower thermic effect of food than a regular meal pattern (i.e. a consistent 6 meals per day) that has the same total amount of calories."
Farshchi HR, Taylor MA, Macdonald IA. Decreased thermic effect of food after an irregular compared with a regular meal pattern in healthy lean women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 May;28(5):653-60.

From your study:

[h=4]"RESULTS:[/h]There were no significant differences in body weight and 3-day mean energy intake between the regular and irregular meal pattern. In the irregular period, the mean energy intake on the day when 9 meals were eaten was significantly greater than when 6 or 3 meals were consumed (P=0.0001). There was no significant difference between the 3 days of the regular meal pattern. Subjective appetite measurement showed no significant differences before and after the test meal in all visits. Fasting RMR showed no significant differences over the experiment. The overall thermic effect of food (TEF) over the 3 h after the test meal was significantly lower after the irregular meal pattern (P=0.003)."

The study talks about regular or irregular meals. I.e. eating at the same time every day or random times. No significant difference when the meals were regularly eaten, whether it was 3, 6, or 9 meals a day.

This speaks for meal regularity, not meal frequency.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15085170

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Just to point out, test subjects were utilized in the various referenced studies used to form the theories, Bla55 most likely chose not to read them to find the context for ideas proposed and is only exercising knee-jerk skepticism. Let's flip things around a little bit: You seem to be using intermittent fasting, Bla55, and have a hard time believing any other diets are effective given the tone of your posts. In the context of this thread, we are discussing the anabolism of food, especially protein. My position is that the consistent intake of amino acids leads to more protein synthesis and less catabolism. Intermittent fasting diets recommend BCAA usage between meals and pre-workout. Why? Defend the position of leangain bcaa use. Playing devil's advocate, I'm callin bs. You don't need to take in aminos during a fast, even if you are about to work out. *bla's post edited for links that I can't reply with.
Hadn't seen this one; what I'm discussing is the need for multiple meals or just one. Leangains promotes the BCAA when doing cardio or working out in the morning, at the same time it also promotes for the biggest meal of the day to be after your workout and with the majority of your daily calories, which would then counteract the purpose of eating smaller meals a day.

TexasGuy

Awards
From your study:

[h=4]"RESULTS:[/h]There were no significant differences in body weight and 3-day mean energy intake between the regular and irregular meal pattern. In the irregular period, the mean energy intake on the day when 9 meals were eaten was significantly greater than when 6 or 3 meals were consumed (P=0.0001). There was no significant difference between the 3 days of the regular meal pattern. Subjective appetite measurement showed no significant differences before and after the test meal in all visits. Fasting RMR showed no significant differences over the experiment. The overall thermic effect of food (TEF) over the 3 h after the test meal was significantly lower after the irregular meal pattern (P=0.003)."

The study talks about regular or irregular meals. I.e. eating at the same time every day or random times. No significant difference when the meals were regularly eaten, whether it was 3, 6, or 9 meals a day.

This speaks for meal regularity, not meal frequency.
The study is showing that there was no significant difference between the caloric intake of meals on the steady diet and intermittent, and that overall the caloric intake between both diets had no significant difference, although the caloric intake of the intermittent diet varied greatly per meal from day to day, which it would have to do in order to maintain the same level of caloric intake over a given time. I think you are interpreting it incorrectly, they are outlining the "ceteris paribus" basis of the study. One of your bold marks does support your argument though, no significant weight changes were noticed in the short term.

To be sure, this is what the authors found:

CONCLUSION: Irregular meal frequency led to a lower postprandial energy expenditure compared with the regular meal frequency, while the mean energy intake was not significantly different between the two. The reduced TEF with the irregular meal frequency may lead to weight gain in the long term.

Here is another study on a diet's effect although, again, this gets in to nutrient timing considering proteins higher TEF value (various diets work through various metabolic pathways, ftr):

Reduced postprandial energy expenditure and increased exogenous fat oxidation in young woman after ingestion of test meals with a low protein contentKlaus J Petzke and Susanne Klaus

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
The study is showing that there was no significant difference between the caloric intake of meals on the steady diet and intermittent, and that overall the caloric intake between both diets had no significant difference, although the caloric intake of the intermittent diet varied greatly per meal from day to day, which it would have to do in order to maintain the same level of caloric intake over a given time. I think you are interpreting it incorrectly, they are outlining the "ceteris paribus" basis of the study. One of your bold marks does support your argument though, no significant weight changes were noticed in the short term.

To be sure, this is what the authors found:

CONCLUSION: Irregular meal frequency led to a lower postprandial energy expenditure compared with the regular meal frequency, while the mean energy intake was not significantly different between the two. The reduced TEF with the irregularmeal frequency may lead to weight gain in the long term.

Here is another study on a diet's effect although, again, this gets in to nutrient timing considering proteins higher TEF value (various diets work through various metabolic pathways, ftr):

Reduced postprandial energy expenditure and increased exogenous fat oxidation in young woman after ingestion of test meals with a low protein contentKlaus J Petzke and Susanne Klaus
Not the amount of meals, the regularity they are consumed day in and day out. They say "There was no significant difference between the 3 days of the regular meal pattern" (i.e. whehter 3, 6 or 9 meals a day). I can't really help you if you are unable to interpret that.

TexasGuy

Awards
Hadn't seen this one; what I'm discussing is the need for multiple meals or just one. Leangains promotes the BCAA when doing cardio or working out in the morning, at the same time it also promotes for the biggest meal of the day to be after your workout and with the majority of your daily calories, which would then counteract the purpose of eating smaller meals a day.
Right, and if eating a large meal here and there counteracts the need to eat more frequently (from a caloric intake perspective), why do you use BCAA's? If intermittent fasting can stand on it's own legs, you shouldn't need to supplement with nutrients during your fasting period. Taking in BCAA's and protein shakes* isn't fasting at all. It's nutrient timing disguised as fasting, and the diet requires frequent nutrient intake at that.

It's not really any different than simply eating through out the day at all, just re-packaged high protein/nutrient timing/targeted macros like every other bodybuilding diet. They just craftilly have you re-arrange your calories so they can stand out as "different" while feeding you all the protein you need in between to halt catabolism. It's simply an exercise in semantics.

If you prefer to eat that way so be it, but it's not any different than eating slow and steady at all. Just more gimmicky. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Again, I don't care who does what if they find the results they want, I do find it odd people argue other diets so vehemently when their own isn't all that different in principle and application.

*BCAAs are Branched Chain Amino Acids. They are a group of 3 amino acids which work to alleviate or prevent muscle loss during intense and fasted exercise, with Leucine being a very important amino acid.

To simplify, BCAAs are source of fuel/energy for your body when working out to ensure no muscle loss happens.

If you prefer Whey Protein, take it. If you have eaten, BCAAs are not needed.

Straight from leangains FAQ section. They agree a steady stream of nutrients is necessary, they simply re-package the delivery.

Also from their website:

It keeps you full (satiated). And it has a high thermal effect (to get into it, the Atwater-formula from the 19th century states that 1g protein = 4 kcal energy. Factoring in TEF, it can be argued that the net effect of each gram of protein is really 3-3.2 kcal/gram).

A nod to TEF, factoring in to leangains.

TexasGuy

Awards
Not the amount of meals, the regularity they are consumed day in and day out. They say "There was no significant difference between the 3 days of the regular meal pattern" (i.e. whehter 3, 6 or 9 meals a day). I can't really help you if you are unable to interpret that.
And I can't help you if you are going to ignore the conclusion. You are off. Sorry.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I am not ignoring, I am 100% supportive that IRREGULAR meal pattern will cause changes and "MAY" cause weight increase in the long run. With that said, eating once at 8AM and once at 8PM everyday is a regular pattern, with 2 meals a day. Eating every 3 hours, starting at 8AM until 8PM is also a regular pattern, and they show no significant change in metabolism.

Can't be any more clear than that.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Ehh, this post does not reinforce your argument. It is for IRREGULAR meal patterns; what about 3 meals per day EVERY day (i.e. a regular meal pattern?).

Study is pointless in regards to this debate.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Ehh, this post does not reinforce your argument. It is for IRREGULAR meal patterns; what about 3 meals per day EVERY day (i.e. a regular meal pattern?).

Thank you, hopefully we can get past this now and move on to the fact that it's personal choice and does not hold any verifiable benefits to eat more times a day.

As far as the BCAA, it's recommended on Leangains to not promote muscle loss if working out fasted. If you workout, yes, you will need nutrients, with BCAA you're not needed to break fast in order to do Cardio, which allows you to train more without breaking your fast.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And I can't help you if you are going to ignore the conclusion. You are off. Sorry.
Just want to say it takes more than 3 days to really show the damage of what it can due but it relates to Leptin,gip, and insulin. The harmful effects won't show for a while.

TexasGuy

Awards
Thank you, hopefully we can get past this now and move on to the fact that it's personal choice and does not hold any verifiable benefits to eat more times a day.

As far as the BCAA, it's recommended on Leangains to not promote muscle loss if working out fasted. If you workout, yes, you will need nutrients, with BCAA you're not needed to break fast in order to do Cardio, which allows you to train more without breaking your fast.
I guess if we want to play with the definition of fasting. In application, leangains is a diet taking advantage of nutrient timing and frequent intake of aminos like the diet some of you have been slamming for lack of research reardin the aforementioned points of discussion. Well, not research you bro's dub worthy anyways, and let's be honest, no study or empirical evidence (all of bodybuilding, powerlifting and other weight training sports pre-2010 or so) supporting an idea outside of your pre-determined ideology will be legitimate, at least not to you. Which brings me back to my original point that leangains is one of many diets shown to be effective and it's weird people are so dogmatically religious about it when it isn't even all that ground breaking to begin with. I'm not even sure what the argument is about any more.

It started in a discussion where a guy was having trouble reaching his daily macros and it was recommended he skip a meal, lol. Then it took multiple twists and turns and it's kinda weird that it resurfaced in a discussion about protein synthesis when IF diets utilize a barage of aminos too, though I realize it wasn't you confusing that distinction, however, multiple similar but different conversations have fused to a weird, senseless argument.

I get it, right now leangains is the doggcrap/testosterone/atkins/any other diet and people will follow it as dogmatically as the others until a new one that isn't really all that different but packaged really cool comes around. Have at it. You are all taking advantage of nutrient timing and high and frequent protein intake just like the diets you are slamming for lack of research. What ever works for you.

TexasGuy

Awards

TexasGuy said:

"To be clear, the argument was whether or not the spike in metabolism food creates can be manipulated for weight loss or not."

And the study quoted, as discussed in its conclusion posted here, shows that yes, it can. I'm sure your diversion was unintentional but either way the angle you're on now wasn't even the discussion to begin with.

Not only that, protein synthesis and the regular intake of aminos to support it is the topic you are currently challenging, or were, I guess.

On that note, what is your dieting protocol? Because every bodybuilding diet I've ever seen has advocated a frequent and regular intake of aminos, however delivered, including IF diets geared to weight training.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
No it doesnt, and that will be as much time I will spend responding to that.

TexasGuy

Awards
No it doesnt, and that will be as much time I will spend responding to that.
K.

CONCLUSION: Irregular meal frequency led to a lower postprandial energy expenditure compared with the regular meal frequency, while the mean energy intake was not significantly different between the two. The reduced TEF with the irregular meal frequency may lead to weight gain in the long term.

It's been fun, with plenty of semantic twists and topic diversions, but yes, TEF can be manipulated for weight management as supported by research. I don't expect you to acknowledge it though, don't worry.

Can we discuss frequent amino intake and protein synthesis now or is Jiggs on his own for that one?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why do you insist on pounding that study over and over when all it touches upon is TEF, which is only a minor part of TDEE? As I pointed out to you in the other thread, the RMR was not significantly different amongst the groups and this study only points to IRREGULAR eating patterns and does not discuss the meal frequency topic as it pertains to consistent "diets."

TexasGuy

Awards
How about you focus on this

Edit: I just wrote up a reply with a link to a human study demonstrating exercise's effect on insulin sensitivity but forgot I can't post it! I'm on a phone and it is a pain to jump screens, copy and paste but I can later if necessary.

And go off the research showing how long it takes insulin levels to fall. This way you can see how detrimental more then 3 meals a day can be
This has been a point of interest for me lately. However, many studies only discuss diet, with the limitation of the effect exercise has on insulin and leptin levels.

Edit: I posted a study demonstrating exercise's effect on insulin sensitivity but forgot I can't link. I'm on a phone and copy paste is a pain but I can do so later if necessary.

As far as I know, there haven't been any studies directly related to bodybuilding activities and the issue you have raised, I've only seen them referencing a general population (I haven't looked hard). This would be a limitation as I'm willing to bet I exercise with significantly more intensity and eat much cleaner than the study participants, including anti-inflammatory, low glycemic foods. It's also my understanding that with the proper stimulus, various hormonal changes brought on by intense exercise create a nutrient repartioning effect, where insulin is my "friend" as opposed to an average joe sitting on the couch and maybe walking a couple miles per week, the likely candidate for such studies.

Diabetes doesn't really run in my family per se, but my mother, an active, regular gym goer nearing 60 who eats healthy is exhibiting pre-diabetic symptoms though, so I do keep an eye on my own blood work, and would appreciate any further insight on this particular vein of discussion.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This has been a point of interest for me lately. However, many studies only discuss diet, with the limitation of the effect exercise has on insulin and leptin levels.

Edit: I posted a study demonstrating exercise's effect on insulin sensitivity but forgot I can't link. I'm on a phone and copy paste is a pain but I can do so later if necessary.

As far as I know, there haven't been any studies directly related to bodybuilding activities and the issue you have raised, I've only seen them referencing a general population (I haven't looked hard). This would be a limitation as I'm willing to bet I exercise with significantly more intensity and eat much cleaner than the study participants, including anti-inflammatory, low glycemic foods. It's also my understanding that with the proper stimulus, various hormonal changes brought on by intense exercise create a nutrient repartioning effect, where insulin is my "friend" as opposed to an average joe sitting on the couch and maybe walking a couple miles per week, the likely candidate for such studies.

Diabetes doesn't really run in my family per se, but my mother, an active, regular gym goer nearing 60 who eats healthy is exhibiting pre-diabetic symptoms though, so I do keep an eye on my own blood work, and would appreciate any further insight on this particular vein of discussion.
What you need to understand is how it relates to body fat directly

Insulin can be a friend or foe for anyone especially reaching 15% or higher in men which is why you constantly see people bulking and adding more fat ten usual but when on test or other hormones they Recomp. Strictly due to leptin and insulin

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is also why I advocate a Gda on a bulk like recompadrol

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Last time I checked 3 meals was considered multiple meals... Idk, but that title throws me off...

rhondagraymon

rhondagraymon

Awards
i go 3 meals a day with power snacks or drinks in between..