The Truth About Soy Protein? (open discussion)

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    I'm considering doing an expierence on myself..the gainer "up your mass" really intrigues me as it is seemingly very popular yet the first protein listed in the ingredients is soy.

    I was considering buying three tubs (45 servings) and consuming one serving a day for 45 days. It doesn't say exactly how much soy it contains in relation to the total protein content because it does also contain whey and egg protein but I'm assuming at least 20 grams. I would get pre and post bloodwork and check my estro levels.

    Not sure if this would even be worthwhile but there's so many conflicting reports out there.
    It could be binding to the receptor but that doesnt mean its going to show up on a hormone panel as estrogen. Id think it would be better to get your testosterone level checked. If its having the effect of estrogen (which is very suppressive to testosterone levels) you could just test your before and after test levels to indirectly measure the effect.

    Edit to add: That was my 3000th post! Yayy!
    CELTIC LABS REP

  2. PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    ABSTRACT Although the beneficial effects of dietary
    soybean protein compared with animal proteins on
    plasma lipids, lipoproteins and atherosclerosis have
    been known for about 50 years, it has been uncertain
    whether these effects are due to its amino acid con
    centrations or other components in soybeans. To assess
    the effect of soybean protein's alcohol-extractable
    components (including the isoflavonic phytoestrogens
    genistein and daidzein) on plasma lipid and lipoprotein
    concentrations and to establish its lack of effect on the
    reproductive system, we fed 27 peripubertal male and
    female rhesus monkeys moderately atherogenic diets
    in which the source of dietary protein was a soy isolate
    (20% by weight), either containing phytoestrogens (also
    termed isoflavones) or with the phytoestrogens re
    moved by alcohol extraction. The study was a crossover
    design with each period lasting for 6 mo. The phytoestrogen-intact soy protein (compared with the alcoholextracted soy protein) had favorable effects on plasma
    lipid and lipoprotein concentrations, specifically by sig
    nificantly reducing LDL+ VLDLcholesterol concentra
    tions in both males and females (~30-40% lower),
    significantly increasing high density lipoprotein cho
    lesterol (HDLC) concentrations for females (~15%
    higher) and significantly lowering total plasma choles
    terol (TPC):HDLC ratios (~20% lower for males and
    50% lower for females). The phytoestrogens had no
    adverse effects on the reproductive systems of either
    the males or females, as evaluated by reproductive
    hormone concentrations and organ weights at necropsy.
    Thus, the isoflavones in soy protein improve cardio
    vascular disease risk factors without apparent delete
    rious effects on the reproductive system of peripubertal
    rhesus monkeys. J. Nutr. 126: 43-50, 1996.
    CELTIC LABS REP

  4. Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    I'm considering doing an expierence on myself..the gainer "up your mass" really intrigues me as it is seemingly very popular yet the first protein listed in the ingredients is soy.

    I was considering buying three tubs (45 servings) and consuming one serving a day for 45 days. It doesn't say exactly how much soy it contains in relation to the total protein content because it does also contain whey and egg protein but I'm assuming at least 20 grams. I would get pre and post bloodwork and check my estro levels.

    Not sure if this would even be worthwhile but there's so many conflicting reports out there.
    Not that I mean anything, but I'd be seriously interested in how yoru blood work turns out. Probably impossible to do, unless you are a lab tech or work at a lab, but I think it'd be interesting to see how soy protein effects blood work acutely as well (ie pre ingestion and post ingestion at 30-60-90 minutes and even through the day), on top of long term use (as is after 45 days).
    PREMIUM NUTRACEUTICALS (PNI) REP/ATHLETE
    BROSER BUILT REP/ATHLETE
    LET ME HELP YOU BY SETTING UP A DIET/TRAINING PROGRAM TO REACH YOUR GOALS! INBOX ME

  5. I am with the argument of the eastern cultures who's diets are almost exclusively riddled with soy! And yes, they are in better health than us Americans! Ive read the it helps reduce risk of colon cancers and helps reduce risks of heart disease too. And the fact that it is a plant phytosterol means its less likely to cause an increase in estrogen levels. Weight gain and high lipid levels cause a raise in estrogen because they greatly effect healthy testosterone production and increase cortisol levels making fertility and reproductive health a challenge. It was not specific to soy....

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    National Level NPC Competitor
    Sponsored Athlete for Muscle Gauge Nutrition
    www.facebook.com/VanessaValdez.National.Competi tor
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by WPChickDiesel
    I am with the argument of the eastern cultures who's diets are almost exclusively riddled with soy! And yes, they are in better health than us Americans! Ive read the it helps reduce risk of colon cancers and helps reduce risks of heart disease too. And the fact that it is a plant phytosterol means its less likely to cause an increase in estrogen levels. Weight gain and high lipid levels cause a raise in estrogen because they greatly effect healthy testosterone production and increase cortisol levels making fertility and reproductive health a challenge. It was not specific to soy....

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    I personally don't think that them eating soy is the reason they're healthier. It is most likely because of the other sh*t americans eat (mcdonalds, high fructose corn syrup in everything, refined sugars in everything, sugary beverages, etc) and they are not consuming, not necessarily the other way around.
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

  7. Quote Originally Posted by hossjob View Post
    Not that I mean anything, but I'd be seriously interested in how yoru blood work turns out. Probably impossible to do, unless you are a lab tech or work at a lab, but I think it'd be interesting to see how soy protein effects blood work acutely as well (ie pre ingestion and post ingestion at 30-60-90 minutes and even through the day), on top of long term use (as is after 45 days).
    yea I don't live in a lab lol and realistically it would have to be after the holidays as I'm leaving town for a few weeks

  8. Soy beans are very rich in isoflavones, which fight heart disease by working in combination with soy protein; they improve the balance of cholesterol in the blood as it makes your blood less likely to clot.
    you are what you eat!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. The truth about how much protein you really need.
    By planetfuzz in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 04:51 PM
  2. The truth about Havoc?
    By grantr in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 04:45 PM
  4. The TRUTH about health
    By DmitryWI in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 10:20 PM
  5. READ ***The truth about usnic acid***
    By WYD02 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Log in
Log in