ketogenic diet help!

kp2012

Awards
hey guys, what would be a good macro split for 2100cals of a ketogenic diet?
i was thinking 27C/140F/184P but not sure if fat is too high and protein is too low? I'm 5'9 and about 150lb on about 11%BF

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Fat at 60%
Protein at 35
Carbs at 5

mumbles12

Awards
hey guys, what would be a good macro split for 2100cals of a ketogenic diet?
i was thinking 27C/140F/184P but not sure if fat is too high and protein is too low? I'm 5'9 and about 150lb on about 11%BF
what is a ketgenic diet anyway?? someone mentioned its low carb?... cant be good for an active individual (can you say paleo?)...

Wocheezy

Wocheezy

Awards
what is a ketgenic diet anyway?? someone mentioned its low carb?... cant be good for an active individual (can you say paleo?)...
A ketogenic diet is generally little to no carb (usually ~ <50g a day), which increases fatty acid oxidation to the point where your liver can no longer burn them all for fuel. Essentially this results in a byproduct known as ketones which is an alternative fuel source. Depends on activity level, but some people seem to do very well while on a keto diet, and I have even seen reports of improved mental clarity and energy levels after your body makes the initial conversion (which can be quite rough for a few days up to a couple weeks). It's a fairly strict diet because if you eat too many carbs your body exits ketosis and returns to using glucose as the primary fuel source.

I read Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet because I was interested in it, and I would recommend it.

mumbles12

Awards
thanks for the response.. however it seems one can spend too long on the keto diet??

Someone reported doing so in one of my posts and this f'd up their cholesterol....

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
No one interested in performance does a strict continuous ketogenic diet. Most use a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD) which includes some sort of weekly carb re-feed. Lyle McDonald's UD 2.0 is a good example.

mumbles12

Awards
No one interested in performance does a strict continuous ketogenic diet. Most use a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD) which includes some sort of weekly carb re-feed. Lyle McDonald's UD 2.0 is a good example.
how long do people keto long term? couple momnths say??..

My cholesterol is very low (106) and im apparently lacking fats idk if its cus im struggling to absorb them due to some underlying problem but would a Keto diet help me in this situation (ala stop using my fats for energy) or am I asking for disaster here?

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
No one can say for sure how a keto diet would effect your total cholesterol. Some see an increase in the total while others actually experience a decease. However, the ratio of hdl to ldl has been shown to improve.

mumbles12

Awards
No one can say for sure how a keto diet would effect your total cholesterol. Some see an increase in the total while others actually experience a decease. However, the ratio of hdl to ldl has been shown to improve.
So your taking a risk either way basically.. I know my total needs increasing, but then again maybe not.... depends on my hdl/ldl..
which im gonna get posted up on here once I have enough post counts :)

hopefully someone will be able to guide.. im trying my best to educate myself with this stuff but one person always seems to contradict another.. there should be some set in stone facts about the human body that we can all agree on lol, but there rarely is on the internet it seems...

kp2012

Awards
A ketogenic diet is generally little to no carb (usually ~ <50g a day), which increases fatty acid oxidation to the point where your liver can no longer burn them all for fuel. Essentially this results in a byproduct known as ketones which is an alternative fuel source. Depends on activity level, but some people seem to do very well while on a keto diet, and I have even seen reports of improved mental clarity and energy levels after your body makes the initial conversion (which can be quite rough for a few days up to a couple weeks). It's a fairly strict diet because if you eat too many carbs your body exits ketosis and returns to using glucose as the primary fuel source.

I read Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet because I was interested in it, and I would recommend it.

Hey bro how do you work out your total calories for a ketogenic diet? My maintenance is 2500
So would I be on 2000? Or would 21000 be safer to maintain mass
With?

vassille

Awards
reason cholesterol goes up on keto is because of the increased fats used for energy. Normally on a keto diet, the triglycerides go down and HDL goes up and so is LDL. However, LDL goes up and it's ONLY the fluffy molecules which present no danger to your health.
It;s the body's way of adjusting to the new diet. When you eat carbs most times tryglicerides go up and HDL down. So basically every time one switches food sources the body adjusts one way or another.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm probably leaning on being a life time keto. I'll dabble in phases of carbs (like now) but will always go back to some type of keto cycling diet.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to help. I was pretty confused when starting a while back. I'd like to think I have perfected it for MYSELF. Once you get the hang, you can fine tune it to your specific needs.

mumbles12

Awards
So your taking a risk either way basically.. I know my total needs increasing, but then again maybe not.... depends on my hdl/ldl..
which im gonna get posted up on here once I have enough post counts :)

hopefully someone will be able to guide.. im trying my best to educate myself with this stuff but one person always seems to contradict another.. there should be some set in stone facts about the human body that we can all agree on lol, but there rarely is on the internet it seems...
bump*

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
There are a lot of advantages to being predominantly keto. However, determining when and how (frequency and amount) to reintroduce carbs is critical.

Both fat loss and performance will be compromised without some sort of periodic carb reload.

If your serious about doing a cyclical ketogenic diet read UD 2.0 and Carb Nite.

murk01

murk01

Awards
There are a lot of advantages to being predominantly keto. However, determining when and how (frequency and amount) to reintroduce carbs is critical.

Both fat loss and performance will be compromised without some sort of periodic carb reload.

If your serious about doing a cyclical ketogenic diet read UD 2.0 and Carb Nite.
Carb loading, i go to moderate carbs, prob 75-150g one day a week then try to stay under 50 the rest of the week, one guy said to stay keto for afew weeks be for carbing, whats ur thoughts...some time carbs go way higher on loading

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
Carb loading, i go to moderate carbs, prob 75-150g one day a week then try to stay under 50 the rest of the week, one guy said to stay keto for afew weeks be for carbing, whats ur thoughts...some time carbs go way higher on loading
I'd a do a 7 to 9 day strict prep phase (<30gm carb). From there carb load every 5 to 7 days depending on training volume. If lethargy kicks in, you'll need to add more carbs to the reloads. However, don't go less than 5 full days between reloads. Day 6 or 7 would be best.

Also, you should eat a good amount of carbs at this time. I would suggest starting at 2xlbm. If you're training with high volume or if your training includes a lot a cardio, you'll likely need more carbs on the refeed.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
A long term diet consisting of low carbohydrate intake and high protein and fat intake will surely result in an unhealthy ketogenic state as well as high cholesterol levels. Not to mention the liver will begin dumping unhealthy amounts of sugar and protein too, which can cause metabolic toxicity after a while.

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
There is nothing inherently unhealthy about a ketogenic diet. In fact they are often prescribed to children with epilepsy. Although total cholestrol does rise is some, overall lipid profiles (ratio of hld to ldl) improve.

Like any diet, food choices are important. For fats go with organic grass feed butter, coconut oil, fish oils, avocado, nuts and seeds. Protein should be predominately from cage free whole eggs, grass feed beef, chicken, and some high quality protein powders. There is little issue with eating green and leafy vegetables so load up on asparagus, red and green peppers, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

As long as total "usable" carbs (less fiber) stay under 30gm per day, you will stay "ketogenic".

Again, this would not be ideal for performance without periodic carb refeeds. From solely a health perspective it could be continued indefinitely.

icecold9487

Awards
if you're going to carb load i would increase the amount you are eating. 75-150g won't even fill up your liver glycogen completely. lyle mcdonald recommends 15-16 grams/kg body weight. how often you carb load should be based on your desire for performance versus fat loss. the more you carb load the better the performance but the smaller the fat loss.

TheSaiyan

TheSaiyan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Going keto made me want to hurt everyone. But I guess that's what I get for balancing school, gym and work every day....ANYWAY the best thing to do IMO is as someone else said have your fats super high and your protein around normal for a bulk.
Your body is going to be running on ketones (a byproduct when fat broken down in the liver) so if you don't have enough fat and you are already low on glucose (from your low carb diet) you will crash.
When I did my CKD I really didn't count macros I just ate when I was hungry because you get ravenous. I would seriously eat a half pound of beef, 8 eggs and some bacon for lunch everyday.

It was an experience, would I recommend it? Sure why not get a feel for it and figure out if you like it.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I personally was on a keto diet for 4 months straight and no issue there. Switched after to a CKD diet.

At the end of the 4 months I had noticed improvement in my cholesterol levels, triglycerides and obviously weight loss. It is a strict diet, yes, but I was never short of energy and I did make significant strength gains during it. CKD is a better long term diet because it allows you a good carb cheat day over the weekend so you won't go craving for them and ruin everything.

The CKD I ran continuously for over 8 months, great results, overall health improvement too. It's a matter of choice really, I don't care much for eating carbs, they don't particularly craw my attention, but I love me some fat and some meat, so it fit my way of life.

Here are some studies on fat consumption that I had gathered for a different topic, if you're interested in some extra reading:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15148063

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/9/2756.long

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2761578

vassille

Awards
been doing low carbs for a couple of years now and I have no issues. Sometimes I go keto when I forget to eat any carbs and sometimes I do eat an apple or patatoe if I go out and it's available with the meal. It's really no big deal, my body is so used to the way I eat that I go in and out of keto without much effort or problems and I feel great and I stay lean year round.
I also eat when im hungry and it's not unusual for me to eat 1lb of grass fed beef and a jug of cottage cheese with nuts for lunch and go on with my day.