Knowledge is Power

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is going to be a controversial thread, so I will say this once - KEEP IT CLEAN and BE RESPECTFUL plain and simple.

In this thread I'm going to create a list of movies and books I've personally watched or read involving the food industry, healthcare industry and the evolution of human life in general. I will be updating when I come along new material.

Please feel free to add titles, critiques and opinions to spark some debate about the material.

Most of these titles can be found online from various sources and Netflix instant.

I'm not saying any of these titles are factually based you'll have to look into their studies independently and form those opinions on your own BUT they are interesting none the less and will hopefully inspire you to become an informed individual.

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”
- Hippocrates

Movies

Food inc (start with this one to pique interest)

Food Matters (more nutritionist outlook which I like)

Fresh (good follow up to Food Inc)

Super Size Me

Forks Over Knives (BS in my personal opinion however, still interesting)

The Future of Food

King Corn

Bigger Faster Stronger

Ingredients

Books

Protein Power

Wheat Belly

The Omnivores Dilemma

In Defense of Food

The Vegetarian Myth

More to follow but I have to get back to homework...

- Valdez

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fast Food Nation

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fat Sick and Nearly Dead

- Valdez

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I've read a lot of Michael Pollan's work which is often the ties between culture and economic standards most notably The Omnivore's Dilemma. I also like In Defense of Food.

The Vegetarian Myth, although something of an uncredentialed feminist radical rant, does give a good rebuttal to the social/ethical/political/nutritional fallacies surrounding vegetarian/veganism. I checked her sources, some blog sites but the factual stuff is legitimate.

Protein Power by Dr. Micahel Eades is a good read for understanding the role of hyperinsulinemia as the cause of our major chronic health conditions like CHD, Diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and obesity. Complete with recipes! And they're good.

Wheat Belly has gotten a lot of press lately although he sometimes makes statements that aren't 100% accurate and no references. So just be able to tell fact from postulation.

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”
- Hippocrates
Which is where I have been becoming more interested in integrative nutrition.

Bigger Faster Stronger is my favorite documentary.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely, thank you for the contribution brother.

- Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Which is where I have been becoming more interested in integrative nutrition.
Absolutely, the power of food (real food) is all too often overlooked. In my opinion, a lot of the sickness and disease we face today is a product of the food Americans consume.

- Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I absolutely did enjoy that! Those are the exact things that belong in this thread!

Thanks to both Judo and OS... Good dudes

- Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you vegan or on a mostly plant based diet? Pollan seems to be a big advocate for an almost entirely plant based diet.

- Valdez

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Are you vegan or on a mostly plant based diet? Pollan seems to be a big advocate for an almost entirely plant based diet.

- Valdez
I will try any fad "diet" just to know the in depths of it for a period of time unless noted as trule ludicrous. I did go Vegan for a VERY short time but felt my health decline so fast it lasted maybe a week.

Pollan and other writers in the political component are more anti-agriculture. Which I agree with, and looks to be a big part of Food Inc. The idea that ConAgra and ADM controlling the American wheat and soy production not onky force feeding for mass slaughter of livestock but lobbying DC to shove it down your throat as well with USDA guidelines that are bogus to make a sedentary person eat that many grains. On top of that, farmers make a pittence, GMO corn halts species diversity, and agriculture cleared off mid west grassland. They advocate buying local and polyculture farm products.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely, the power of food (real food) is all too often overlooked. In my opinion, a lot of the sickness and disease we face today is a product of the food Americans consume.

- Valdez
I met a girl who was an integrative nutritionist (were big on it at my hospital) who told me "I see no problem of having 8-10 extra pounds if it has made me balanced nutritionally, relieve symptoms, and while creating less stress through healthy and happy comfort foods."

You know what... I dig it!

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will try any fad "diet" just to know the in depths of it for a period of time unless noted as trule ludicrous. I did go Vegan for a VERY short time but felt my health decline so fast it lasted maybe a week.

Pollan and other writers in the political component are more anti-agriculture. Which I agree with, and looks to be a big part of Food Inc. The idea that ConAgra and ADM controlling the American wheat and soy production not onky force feeding for mass slaughter of livestock but lobbying DC to shove it down your throat as well with USDA guidelines that are bogus to make a sedentary person eat that many grains. On top of that, farmers make a pittence, GMO corn halts species diversity, and agriculture cleared off mid west grassland. They advocate buying local and polyculture farm products.
The reach of the government and what they're involved in is outrageous. Why is the government being paid by the food industry?!

Yea did you see the patented soybean seed that if not used is copyright infringement? Complete corruption. And what's more is that it just happens to be food that we are eating ourselves and feeding to our families.

The worst part to me is that more people aren't aware of the problems or simply don't care. Ignorance is strong this day in age.

- Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I met a girl who was an integrative nutritionist (were big on it at my hospital) who told me "I see no problem of having 8-10 extra pounds if it has made me balanced nutritionally, relieve symptoms, and while creating less stress through healthy and happy comfort foods."

You know what... I dig it!
What?! You mean you don't want a 95# bean pole that only knows about gossip and material things? Weird...

Hell yea you dig it man! What's not to dig about an intelligent woman?

- Valdez

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
What?! You mean you don't want a 95# bean pole that only knows about gossip and material things? Weird...

Hell yea you dig it man! What's not to dig about an intelligent woman?

- Valdez
Nah, I like when she has something to grab onto. And if I can have a better conversation with a table, it's just not gonna work.

-OS-Team AppNut

Freezone

Freezone

Awards
Because of the food industry for years been thinking about becoming a vegetarian,
After my wife and I watched "Fork Over Knives" I've became a vegetarian. And even though I am a bodybuilder, not going back!
Thanks for starting this thread.

Freezone

Freezone

Awards
I'm about to watch "Food Fight" Discovering the problems in today's food system.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because of the food industry for years been thinking about becoming a vegetarian,
After my wife and I watched "Fork Over Knives" I've became a vegetarian. And even though I am a bodybuilder, not going back!
Thanks for starting this thread.
Forks over knives is a biased movie which purposefully misrepresents data in order to sell you on their pre conceived reality.

Being a vegetarian is not intrinsicly healthier than an omnivores diet.

actionhero

actionhero

Awards
Food Inc is what really pushed me over the top on how I view food. Add to that Super Human Radio and its a night and day difference the food in my kitchen compared to a few years ago.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
"Fat Head" movie. Pretty sure you can watch it on YouTube. This movie is IMPORTANT
Books: The art and Science of low Carb diets" by volek and phinney.
They also wrote a book for low Carb athletes.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Fat Head" movie. Pretty sure you can watch it on YouTube. This movie is IMPORTANT
Sounds like a great book.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Sounds like a great book.
Dr. Eades of "Protein Power" said this is the book he wanted to write but his publishers said no. Phinney and Volek are self published so they didn't have to answer to anyone.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dr. Eades of "Protein Power" said this is the book he wanted to write but his publishers said no. Phinney and Volek are self published so they didn't have to answer to anyone.
I've read protein power so I'll have to give that one a try as well. Thanks for the heads up.

I started that movie fat head but lost interest about 25 min in lol. When does the importance start to show?

- Valdez

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I'll put that on my list, almost done with my current read completely unrelated.

-OS-Team AppNut

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I've read protein power so I'll have to give that one a try as well. Thanks for the heads up.

I started that movie fat head but lost interest about 25 min in lol. When does the importance start to show?

- Valdez
Yeah, its alot of talking but stick it out. Its good info

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I found The art and science of low Carb living: An expert guide to making the life saving benefits of carbohydrate restriction sustainable and enjoyable

I assume that's it right? Book is only $10 for the kindle

I also found their other book "The art and science of low carbohydrate performance" as well. This one was $6!

I ordered them both and will give them a read once I am finished reading my current book "Perfect health diet" which so far has been a great book

Thanks again for those recommendations, I have been a fan of voleks research and never knew he had written a book.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I found The art and science of low Carb living: An expert guide to making the life saving benefits of carbohydrate restriction sustainable and enjoyable

I assume that's it right? Book is only $10 for the kindle

I also found their other book "The art and science of low carbohydrate performance" as well. This one was $6!

I ordered them both and will give them a read once I am finished reading my current book "Perfect health diet" which so far has been a great book

Thanks again for those recommendations, I have been a fan of voleks research and never knew he had written a book.
Will def be picking both of these up :)

- Valdez

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Forks over knives is a biased movie which purposefully misrepresents data in order to sell you on their pre conceived reality.

Being a vegetarian is not intrinsicly healthier than an omnivores diet.
This. In fact it may cause you to subsequently be micronutrient deficient in regards to Iron & b12. But i'm all for vegetarian based diets so long as it's not the " its healthier" misconception, but rather an ethical or religious choice.

Anyway; Fat head is an interesting doco which sheds another viewpoint on the whole cholesterol debate. Honestly i'm now in a place where i'm not sure what to believe haha. I might have to give some of these books a read.

I know this isn't a reading book per say but this is one of the best text books I have ever read in regards to nutrition; Clinical Sports Nutrition (the newest edition)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This. In fact it may cause you to subsequently be micronutrient deficient in regards to Iron & b12. But i'm all for vegetarian based diets so long as it's not the " its healthier" misconception, but rather an ethical or religious choice.

Anyway; Fat head is an interesting doco which sheds another viewpoint on the whole cholesterol debate. Honestly i'm now in a place where i'm not sure what to believe haha. I might have to give some of these books a read.

I know this isn't a reading book per say but this is one of the best text books I have ever read in regards to nutrition; Clinical Sports Nutrition (the newest edition)
Where did you track that down? Pdf?

- Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been searching since you posted to no avail. I did however find the complete guide to food for sports performance. Pm me if interested

- Valdez

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes sir a trade is in order, most definitely

- Valdez

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wanna trade books :(

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wanna trade books :(
I have a TON of pdfs!!! All on my phone. Whenever I'm dragged anywhere with my chick or get bored I just pull out my phone and read. Its nice :D

- Valdez

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I have a TON of pdfs!!! All on my phone. Whenever I'm dragged anywhere with my chick or get bored I just pull out my phone and read. Its nice :D

- Valdez
I have tons of PDFs on nutrition and training. I put them on my phone for easy reading while on my way to work. I usually keep them on Google Drive. Hit me up.

-OS-Team AppNut

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have tons of PDFs on nutrition and training. I put them on my phone for easy reading while on my way to work. I usually keep them on Google Drive. Hit me up.

-OS-Team AppNut
You ride on a bus or carpool, right?;)

Consider you hit up!

- Valdez

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
You ride on a bus or carpool, right?;)

Consider you hit up!

- Valdez
Horse and buggy actually. LOL.

-OS-Team AppNut

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guys want to create a index of whats available for trades? Also include anything your looking for. I literally have thousands of books.. Im a nerd at heart

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Guys want to create a index of whats available for trades? Also include anything your looking for. I literally have thousands of books.. Im a nerd at heart
I have 750 ebooks lol

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Absolutely brilliant idea... Put them in here. Knowledge is power is a fitting name for such a nerd fest ;)

I have 750 ebooks lol
That's all?!
-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

- Valdez

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I will index the more appropriate ebooks for this forum in a bit.

Plenty of bb'ing ones but poor quality.

In for clear pdf's

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I will index the more appropriate ebooks for this forum in a bit.

Plenty of bb'ing ones but poor quality.

In for clear pdf's

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App
Most of mine are good, some are glitchy but readable.

-OS-Team AppNut

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Good idea. I'll see what I can dig up from my hard drive

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I bet he's got some goodies.

OS-Team AppNut
I have some, but nowhere near the number that these guys have lol. But I have some that I have obtained through uni which I found helpful.

750 is madness haha