Anything wrong with eating raw rolled oats?

IPOM

IPOM

Awards
I just wanted to make sure, but is there anything wrong (other than taste) with eating uncooked rolled oats? I blend them up with my protein in the morning and before working out for speed of preparation. Reason I ask is, I know eggs aren't supposed to be eaten raw and some vegetables are supposed to be better for you if they're cooked.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Should be fine. Plenty of people do this and I have myself.

murk01

murk01

Awards
I just wanted to make sure, but is there anything wrong (other than taste) with eating uncooked rolled oats? I blend them up with my protein in the morning and before working out for speed of preparation. Reason I ask is, I know eggs aren't supposed to be eaten raw and some vegetables are supposed to be better for you if they're cooked.
Thsts how i eat them. A little water and mix.
I have been eating them raw for yrs

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
i grind mine into dust with a blender and add to shakes when im in a hurry. its so much easier to drink that way

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
You are good to go on uncooked oats! Grains unlike meats and dairy do no contain bacteria and hormones used in pasteurization and other methods used in food production of meat. So you dont have to worry about needing to cook to a certain temperature. Only worry would be with cross contamination, which you can easily avoid by using healthy and sanitary cooking habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

IPOM

IPOM

Awards
Thanks for the responses. That eases my mind. Reps for all!

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You may find that your body takes a while to get used to digesting raw oats. The was the case w/ me.

If that is the case with you, you may experience some rather spectacular and unduly pungent intestinal gas during the time your body adjusts to the raw oats.

If so, you might consider starting off with moderate amounts and increase quantity over time; that or plan your social calendar accordingly - and avoid being in close proximity to open flame

IPOM

IPOM

Awards
You may find that your body takes a while to get used to digesting raw oats. The was the case w/ me.

If that is the case with you, you may experience some rather spectacular and unduly pungent intestinal gas during the time your body adjusts to the raw oats.

If so, you might consider starting off with moderate amounts and increase quantity over time; that or plan your social calendar accordingly - and avoid being in close proximity to open flame
HAHA! I haven't noticed any of that. I usually eat a cup for breakfast and 1/2 cup before I workout.

PrimiFit

Awards
I've understood that all grains contain antinutrients that should be neutralized by cooking. Also, you get more energy from them if you cook them. Has anyone else read about this?

PrimiFit

Awards
This is what I've been hearing recently from many sources, but now that I've done some searching, I can't say weather it's true with grains or not. Tubers are known to digest less well when uncooked and they provide less energy that way.

I read this article by poliquin (can't put a link yet), which can be found from his website by doing a search for raw food.

I take my previous comment back ("Also, you get more energy from them if you cook them."), since there is very conflicting information out there. I would still cook my grains because of the phytic acid etc.

IPOM

IPOM

Awards
It's just easier to blend it raw. But I guess I could try nuking it first.

aLinux

aLinux

Awards
Nothing wrong with eating them that way since they've already been cooked/steamed and prepared before packaging so there completely bioavailable compared "true raw steel oat/groats". To make them more bio. grind them up and add to a smoothie or some sort of juice. Good source of protein and carbs but at the same time, don't forget about potatoes... both go hand in hand :)

david_golds

Awards
I've understood that all grains contain antinutrients that should be neutralized by cooking. Also, you get more energy from them if you cook them. Has anyone else read about this?
If you're talking about the typical "raw" oats like Quaker Old Fashioned, they aren't actually raw. They are extensively processed by the tim you get them, and are completely safe to blend with whey powder, I have been doing it for years. I've also been throwing in a raw egg or two for years; there is some small risk, but I just buy high-quality eggs and keep them fresh.

You can even take the oats and grind them in a coffee grinder, and measure the powder out into pre-measured one-cup or half-cup baggies for travel or work. You can throw a half-cup of oat powder and two scoops of whey into a 12-oz Styrofoam cup and quickly mix it with a coffee stirrer. Very convenient.

The oats that are really raw are impossible to blend or chew.

M.Haroutunian

Awards
I like them raw in the blender. There is so much more you can add to make it a more nutrient filled meal. I like to add flaxseed oil to bring in some healthy fats. It's a lot more convenient that way.

PrimiFit

Awards
If you're talking about the typical "raw" oats like Quaker Old Fashioned, they aren't actually raw. They are extensively processed by the tim you get them, and are completely safe to blend with whey powder, I have been doing it for years. I've also been throwing in a raw egg or two for years; there is some small risk, but I just buy high-quality eggs and keep them fresh.

You can even take the oats and grind them in a coffee grinder, and measure the powder out into pre-measured one-cup or half-cup baggies for travel or work. You can throw a half-cup of oat powder and two scoops of whey into a 12-oz Styrofoam cup and quickly mix it with a coffee stirrer. Very convenient.

The oats that are really raw are impossible to blend or chew.
We don't have that product here but thanks for the advice. I bet we have oats that are similarly processed. I don't eat oats at all right now, because I have problems with grains that contain gluten.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
For years I have been grinding my oats and just mixing it with my shake. I attribute my choice more to laziness lol. I got tired of chewing oatmeal after being cooked. So now, I mix 1 cup milk, 1 cup liquid egg whites, then 4 scoops up your mass, shake and I am out....yum yum.

BrainyMuscle

Awards
Ive been eating raw oats for many yrs and once told a nutritionist this and she looked at me with shock horror.

Basically its slightly hard on the digestive system to process raw oats, notice that kind of thin shell on the outside, but thats basically it. so if you're taking an Isolate or Hydrolyzed Protein powder this will be counter active to what you are trying to achieve ie: fast digestion & absorption. With either Cassein / WPC blends should be fine.

I switched to the fast-oats which just seem like smaller chopped up raw oats which contain the same nutritional values but are easier to digest, especially if you are having more than one serving / day.

Basically if your finding no problem why change.