1 meal vs 3 vs 6

CaseyW

CaseyW

Awards
Hey guys,

I know traditional knowledge is that you want to eat 6 meals a day throughout the day. I've seen around places that are now saying this is not true.. and that 1 or 2 or 3 is just as good? I was talking to a friend of mine who is all into nutrition and they were shocked I would even say such a thing, they were like no, it's science you should be eating ideally 6 times a day. By the way I generally do but just out of habit.

Could someone point me in the right direction of where this new line of thought that says 1,2, or 3 is just as good as 6 is discussed or science behind it?

Thanks!

67nova

Awards
Main thing is calories needed but larger meals do sometimes get stored as fat(cal overload)i myself have to eat atleast 5x a day as the cals i need are on the higher side and get to full even eating these.Yes i do go with calorie denser foods to help.

It depends on the person no one is the same meaning what works for one doesnt for everyone.

Just find what works for "YOU"not everyone else and only get tips from us.

PrimiFit

Awards
I cycle between 2 meals and 4 meals depending on my schedule. Also, sometimes I feel like I can't shovel down all that food in two sittings. But sometimes it feels nice to not eat during the day and then eat a huge meal or two in the evening.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I kind of eyeball my food, I usually eat multiple times a day because I can't get all my protein in 2 meals.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im nuts and sometimeseat5000 cals in one meal ( yes i eat the meal over a fewhorus) but i think ive really stretched otu my stomach which isntnecesarily good cu when imnot eating as much it takes me alot to feel full but right now im loving the big meals lol

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I'd say stick with 3 or more me personally I eat 5 and have a shake between each. while there haven't been many studies on meal frequency I figure the digestive system can only handle so much at once so better to split it up rather than eating 2000+ calories in on sitting and most of it rotting in your intestines and being excreted as waste, but that's just speculation

skunkman

Awards
For me personally 2-3 meals in a 8 hour window has been awesome. Been slowly losing weight and gaining muscle for the last six months. 50lbs scale weight and my strength has skyrocketed. As far as digestion goes I've seen a marked improvement. Consistent 4's on the Bristol scale where as before it fluctuated wildly.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
For me personally 2-3 meals in a 8 hour window has been awesome. Been slowly losing weight and gaining muscle for the last six months. 50lbs scale weight and my strength has skyrocketed. As far as digestion goes I've seen a marked improvement. Consistent 4's on the Bristol scale where as before it fluctuated wildly.
Sounds like me and you have had similar results went from 207 to 157 while maintaining strength and no feeling of lethargy best weight loss ive ever had congrats on your results thats awesome

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I just wish I could get sold on IF.

skunkman

Awards
Sounds like me and you have had similar results went from 207 to 157 while maintaining strength and no feeling of lethargy best weight loss ive ever had congrats on your results thats awesome
Thanks I appreciate that. And congrats to you my friend. 50lbs is no small feat, especially starting at such a lower bf than myself.

I just wish I could get sold on IF.
There's no thermic difference between eating 8 or 2 meals as long as the total amount and composition are the same. Starvation mode doesn't kick in until I believe the 72 hours mark without food. There are a host of pro's and con's for each proponent but considering those two points you have nothing to lose by trying it. I don't think that I have read of someone that has adapted past the transition stage and abandoned it altogether. In most cases it was at least added as a tool in there repertoire if not made the primary one.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thanks I appreciate that. And congrats to you my friend. 50lbs is no small feat, especially starting at such a lower bf than myself.

There's no thermic difference between eating 8 or 2 meals as long as the total amount and composition are the same. Starvation mode doesn't kick in until I believe the 72 hours mark without food. There are a host of pro's and con's for each proponent but considering those two points you have nothing to lose by trying it. I don't think that I have read of someone that has adapted past the transition stage and abandoned it altogether. In most cases it was at least added as a tool in there repertoire if not made the primary one.
Thx.
Just fear I could be storing fat waiting that long to eat when my body is telling me that's it's hungry.

skunkman

Awards
Interesting. I always assumed that catabolism was the general fear of not eating often.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Your body won't turn catabolic from not eatng often; that is outdated hypothesis based on very outdated research. If you can get all your calories in two-three meals, then its no different to eating the same portions over 6 meals.

And no, it isnt science that you should eat 6 meals per day. There are studies on meal frequency but they are largely based on food cravings and obesity. I.e. eating 6 meals (as opposed to one) should help you control your hunger and help you to feel satisfied for a larger portion of the day.

skunkman

Awards
Your body won't turn catabolic from not eatng often; that is outdated hypothesis based on very outdated research. If you can get all your calories in two-three meals, then its no different to eating the same portions over 6 meals.

And no, it isnt science that you should eat 6 meals per day. There are studies on meal frequency but they are largely based on food cravings and obesity. I.e. eating 6 meals (as opposed to one) should help you control your hunger and help you to feel satisfied for a larger portion of the day.
Should being the key word. I always tended to over eat or eat junk at night when doing small meals.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
IF takes about 2 weeks to get use to after that its smooth sailing and awesome results i was going to abandon it during my bulk but i have grown to love this way of eating soo much that i will be using it to bulk as well. It was great for cutting now ill see what bulking on IF will do

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
I believe that eating a lot of.meals a day comes from hardcore bodybuilders. its pretty hard to shove thousands of clean cals down your throat so they have to break up their meals. If it takes an average 180lb guy 2700 cals jus to maintain what do you think it requires for a 300lb bodybuilder to maintain?

Benzo22

Benzo22

Awards
Alan Aragon knows his stuff. Search "Alan Aragon meal frequency"

diezel

Awards
  • Established
I've been eating 3 meals a day. 2 small ones in the AM and one large meal post workout. This has worked well for me.

Tonycfh

Tonycfh

Awards
Meal frequancy is irrelavant, over all caloric and macro intake is what matters. I've done the six meals thing and hated it....i feel much better with 2 or 3 bigger meals and have been getting just as good results and probably even better. At the end of the day do what is easiest for you and what you enjoy more

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Whatever fits your lifestyle and time frames

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
3 or more to give to your muscles protein every 3-4 fours.I think that if you eat 3 meals 800-1000 cals per meal you will gain much fat and wont take all the protein you need.

Tonycfh

Tonycfh

Awards
3 or more to give to your muscles protein every 3-4 fours.I think that if you eat 3 meals 800-1000 cals per meal you will gain much fat and wont take all the protein you need.
Not sure if srs

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Lmao!

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
5-6 meals are better than first of all for your overall health.Secondly think of something.2-3 meals with 50-75 grams of protein per meal if you are hard working is worse than 5-6 meals of 25-30 grams of protein per meal.Your body can sure use this protein instead of all 60-75 grams.From 60-75 grams you take some and the others go to the toilet.That's what i have seen.You dont have to be only in bulking to eat many meals.That's my opinion.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
5-6 meals are better than first of all for your overall health.Secondly think of something.2-3 meals with 50-75 grams of protein per meal if you are hard working is worse than 5-6 meals of 25-30 grams of protein per meal.Your body can sure use this protein instead of all 60-75 grams.From 60-75 grams you take some and the others go to the toilet.That's what i have seen.You dont have to be only in bulking to eat many meals.That's my opinion.
So does the same thing happen with carbs?

I'd can only eat max 75g of carbs with a meal right, if I eat more my body either won't "use" them or I'll just gain fat... Right?

Or am I doing it wrong?

Tonycfh

Tonycfh

Awards
Science > opinion......i'd advise you to do some research

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
So does the same thing happen with carbs?

I'd can only eat max 75g of carbs with a meal right, if I eat more my body either won't "use" them or I'll just gain fat... Right?

Or am I doing it wrong?
Carbs and Protein are diferent things.But yeah if you overdo it with carbs the rest will go to toilet or gain some fat.I have read this to in a science article too.

And Panterra let me tell you one more thing.Calorie intake is just a number.The body uses the calories it takes and it learns to keep your weigh with the calories you take.I have a friend who works and eats 1-2 times a day and not a serius meal.SOme almonds with yogurt or cereal and he is 1.78 83 kilos with muscles.I also dont eat the exactly calories i need for my lifestyle cause i have a very active life due to my gymnastics college and my kilos but i saw diferences in my body since i put more 2 meals cause i used to eat 3 big meals.Now i eat 5 normal meals.This thing with the calories had also told it to me a guy who is doing bodybulding.The calories doesnt exactly matter.

I also have to say that i dont have the Intention to insult anyone or be 'enemys' with some of you in forum.We are here to advice and learn too.
Peace my friends. :D

Tonycfh

Tonycfh

Awards
Carbs and Protein are diferent things.But yeah if you overdo it with carbs the rest will go to toilet or gain some fat.I have read this to in a science article too.

And Panterra let me tell you one more thing.Calorie intake is just a number.The body uses the calories it takes and it learns to keep your weigh with the calories you take.I have a friend who works and eats 1-2 times a day and not a serius meal.SOme almonds with yogurt or cereal and he is 1.78 83 kilos with muscles.I also dont eat the exactly calories i need for my lifestyle cause i have a very active life due to my gymnastics college and my kilos but i saw diferences in my body since i put more 2 meals cause i used to eat 3 big meals.Now i eat 5 normal meals.This thing with the calories had also told it to me a guy who is doing bodybulding.The calories doesnt exactly matter.

I also have to say that i dont have the Intention to insult anyone or be 'enemys' with some of you in forum.We are here to advice and learn too.
Peace my friends. :D
Is this real life? I honestly can't understand what you're trying to say. Just look up "if it fits your macros"

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
Is this real life? I honestly can't understand what you're trying to say. Just look up "if it fits your macros"
When you dont have an answer you dont understand.That's all from me about the meal plan.Just make sure you make some more search.

Tonycfh

Tonycfh

Awards
When you dont have to say you dont understand.That's all from me about the meal plan.Just make sure you make some more search.
Research on what? Are we still talking about meal frequancy or have you moved on to saying your calorie intake doesn't matter in the pursuite of your goals? To put it as simple as possible....meal frequency does not matter. Caloric surplus = weight gain, caloric deficit = weight loss. I don't understand how you're actually disputing this

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
When you dont have an answer you dont understand.That's all from me about the meal plan.Just make sure you make some more search.
your old school train of thought has been proved wrong time and time again, now if your saying that method works for you then congrats but in real life its not the best way of dieting. these debates have been covered for god knows how long and i honestly dont know why i bother to chime in anymore..

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
your old school train of thought has been proved wrong time and time again, now if your saying that method works for you then congrats but in real life its not the best way of dieting. these debates have been covered for god knows how long and i honestly dont know why i bother to chime in anymore..
Work for me and for other many people i know.You guys keep eating 2-3 times a day.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Work for me and for other many people i know.You guys keep eating 2-3 times a day.
Lol at the dogma of 6-7 meals a day deal of dieting still. Although im eating six a day now.. but when i prepped the first four weeks was IF/LG.

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
Lol at the dogma of 6-7 meals a day deal of dieting still. Although im eating six a day now.. but when i prepped the first four weeks was IF/LG.
Didnt understand what you say.Maybe i forgot my english due to lack of exercise but i am eating 5-6 times a day too.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Didnt understand what you say.Maybe i forgot my english due to lack of exercise but i am eating 5-6 times a day too.
Let me rephrase that. Its an oldschool belief that 5-7 meals a day is needed to sustain a "steady metabolism" it has been proven wrong numerous times. Now, 2-3 meals a day will suffice in BUILDING muscle and or lose fat, all it takes is a little research/googling and an open mind to understand the outdated 5-7meal option isnt king.

Tonycfh

Tonycfh

Awards
Let me rephrase that. Its an oldschool belief that 5-7 meals a day is needed to sustain a "steady metabolism" it has been proven wrong numerous times. Now, 2-3 meals a day will suffice in BUILDING muscle and or lose fat, all it takes is a little research/googling and an open mind to understand the outdated 5-7meal option isnt king.
This

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
Yeah you are right but i was speaking when you are training hard and not for a common person.I still believe that 5-7 meals are better cause your body is so tired and needs food proteins carbs vitamins aminos and etc.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah you are right but i was speaking when you are training hard and not for a common person.I still believe that 5-7 meals are better cause your body is so tired and needs food proteins carbs vitamins aminos and etc.
This cant be real. Youve got some reading to catch up on...
Here plain and simple:
To gain weight eat a surplus
To lose weight eat in a deficit (albiet clean, and not junk)
Your body will utilize "carbs/protien/fats" you give it, unless you take too much dietary fiber which will block micronutrient absorbtion.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Thats the point im trying to make. Your method works for you and 2 meals a day works for me. Your method isn't the best and neither is mine.

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
Thats the point im trying to make. Your method works for you and 2 meals a day works for me. Your method isn't the best and neither is mine.
Yeah i have told it that we are here to give advice and to learn.You have your methods i have mine.I agree with you.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If I ate 200g of carbs with my first meal, how is that different from spreading that same amount over 2 meals? i.e. 100g per meal? The reality is that there is no difference (keeping on mind that the compostition of those calories are equal (i.e. that say I instead ate 3 pieces of bread for breakfast instead of 6 and put the other 3 in my next meal). The body stores the carbs it doesnt need as muscle/liver/blood glycogen which can be used at any point for muscle/brain fuel. Ergo it doesnt need to be constantly fed in order to reap the same benefits.

The body has a wonderous capability to store nutrients in a way that doesnt promote fat gain if it fits "in your macros".

uvawahoowa

Awards
Keep believing that haha

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
If I ate 200g of carbs with my first meal, how is that different from spreading that same amount over 2 meals? i.e. 100g per meal? The reality is that there is no difference (keeping on mind that the compostition of those calories are equal (i.e. that say I instead ate 3 pieces of bread for breakfast instead of 6 and put the other 3 in my next meal). The body stores the carbs it doesnt need as muscle/liver/blood glycogen which can be used at any point for muscle/brain fuel. Ergo it doesnt need to be constantly fed in order to reap the same benefits.

The body has a wonderous capability to store nutrients in a way that doesnt promote fat gain if it fits "in your macros".
That's your opinion.I have seen diferent results in my body with more meals than 3.

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
Keep believing that haha
When you dont agree tell your opinion.Dont only laugh like a fool.Guys here told me their searches and their opinions and i respect that.But dont post if you dont have anything to say.

Tonycfh

Tonycfh

Awards
When you dont agree tell your opinion.Dont only laugh like a fool.Guys here told me their searches and their opinions and i respect that.But dont post if you dont have anything to say.
It's not opinion....it's fact. If you have seen differences having 3 extra meals it's because you were taking in more overall calories or less calories. If you are tracking calories and macros and spread it through 6 or 2 meals you will find there is no difference as long as you're eating the same calories and macros