What kind of oats?

actionhero

actionhero

Awards
Ive never bought oats before but I need to make protein bars to have at work and all the recipes I have found call for them for the best texture.

What brand? or what should I look for? I think I saw something about steel cut or rolled oats.

Thanks for any info.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I just buy Walmart brand 100%..not the quick minute oats

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I promise you, if you try bobs redmill THICK rolled oats youll never eat any other type/brand of oats! The gluten free as well.. $3.50 for the big bag. Mmm 32g carb, 7g pro, 6g fiber (maybe more or less dont remember)

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
this depends on the goal of these bars. if you want calories, pay for the steel cuts. theyre nearly twice as dense in calories. otherwise, just get the normal rolled oats from quaker. not the instant **** though

retrofitted

Awards
Steel cut oats are not twice as calorically dense as rolled. 40 grams, the typical serving size, of any oat will generally have between 140 and 170 calories depending on manufacturer.

actionhero

actionhero

Awards
this depends on the goal of these bars. if you want calories, pay for the steel cuts. theyre nearly twice as dense in calories. otherwise, just get the normal rolled oats from quaker. not the instant **** though

No. Definitly not looking for (carb) calories. Just need something so they are not mush balls. Getting tired of eating just homeade peanut butter&whey.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Ive never bought oats before but I need to make protein bars to have at work and all the recipes I have found call for them for the best texture.

What brand? or what should I look for? I think I saw something about steel cut or rolled oats.

Thanks for any info.
I like the old fashioned oats when I make my bars because the texture is better. Sometime to blend the protein in better I use half quick oats and half old fashioned . I dont know if you have a healthfood store near you like Whole Foods, but they sell bulk Organic oats for a little over $2 a pound!!! Comes out to be much cheaper than the stuff on the shelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner