Sodium in your diet

ultima7e

Awards
Hi guys, I normally lurk around here and dont post too often but wanted to share this info and see what your thoughts on this topic is.

So I went to an dinner the other night hosted by a nutrition society where they have guest speakers who present findings of their studies, and then have a meal after that is related to the previous talk.

One particular talk was about sodium in your diet. It was outlined that unsurprisingly, like everything else we get way too much salt in our diet. This may not apply to many people here who have strict diets, but still interesting regardless.

On average in Australia, we consume 9-12 grams of salt each day. It is recommended that adults should consume less than 6 grams of salt per day. This is equivalent to 2300mg of sodium.

Almost 75% of this salt comes from processed foods like bread, cereals, cheese, soup, sauces and tinned foods. While to me this came as no surprise. When eating processed foods, you can easily go over your daily recommended intake in 2 meals!

Eating too much salt can can slowly raise your blood pressure which increases risk of heart disease and stroke.

Furthermore, their findings showed an adverse affect on blood vessel function which can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. They showed that high salt intake will cause a decrease in nitric oxide in your blood vessels.

While they did not discuss this in relation to exercise, I imagine this could have an effect on workouts. For example, having high salt before working out will lead to less efficient work outs due to its effect on blood vessels.

Whats your thoughts on this?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bodybuilding + Salt = good :)

It's used a good bit, a lot of people are adding 500mg of salt to their pre-workout to increase their pump.

I'd say a lot of info about sodium needs to be taken with a grain of salt (no pun intended) people eating clean and adequate water intake that exercise daily have a lot less to worry about than the average joe with regards to sodium intake.

blueice

Awards
Hi guys, I normally lurk around here and dont post too often but wanted to share this info and see what your thoughts on this topic is.

So I went to an dinner the other night hosted by a nutrition society where they have guest speakers who present findings of their studies, and then have a meal after that is related to the previous talk.

One particular talk was about sodium in your diet. It was outlined that unsurprisingly, like everything else we get way too much salt in our diet. This may not apply to many people here who have strict diets, but still interesting regardless.

On average in Australia, we consume 9-12 grams of salt each day. It is recommended that adults should consume less than 6 grams of salt per day. This is equivalent to 2300mg of sodium.

Almost 75% of this salt comes from processed foods like bread, cereals, cheese, soup, sauces and tinned foods. While to me this came as no surprise. When eating processed foods, you can easily go over your daily recommended intake in 2 meals!

Eating too much salt can can slowly raise your blood pressure which increases risk of heart disease and stroke.

Furthermore, their findings showed an adverse affect on blood vessel function which can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. They showed that high salt intake will cause a decrease in nitric oxide in your blood vessels.

While they did not discuss this in relation to exercise, I imagine this could have an effect on workouts. For example, having high salt before working out will lead to less efficient work outs due to its effect on blood vessels.

Whats your thoughts on this?
They are right, we should aim to keep salt intake 6 grams per day because higher amounts of salt in diet increases the amount of calcium you expel in urine, and can weaken our bones.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Salt is vital for water balance in the body (electrolye); most dietary advice is targetted toward the sedentary population rather than the athletic population. If you sweat heaps, you need more salt. Sodium ions are also needed for muscle contraction etc.

emersonkelly

Awards
Sodium helps to maintain the water level balance within the cells and in the function of muscles and nerve impulses. We must take enough amount of sodium. Less intake of sodium leads to low blood pressure while excess results in hypertension.

Sodium intake per day must be within 1500 mg- 2300 mg i.e. less than 1 tea spoon of table salt!!