Carb Back-Loading - CBL experts please review this diet

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. How bout coconut butter, i have seen it around never tried it, and how would u use it?
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619

2. Quote Originally Posted by murk01 View Post
    How bout coconut butter, i have seen it around never tried it, and how would u use it?
    I just looked up the nutrition info for coconut butter. It contains some carbs, but most of them are fiber. This may work ok as well. I assume it is also mostly MTCs, which is what you want.
    •   

3. Shoulder press: 145x4 -- was hoping for 5 or 6

Energy was good, but I'm a little sore from yesterday's back work. Luckily tomorrow is an off day. Going to skip cardio also and take a complete day of rest. This will also give me an extra half hour of sleep. I want to be well rested for deadlifts on Saturday.

Edit: Checked my training log last night. The weight was actually 145.

4. Yesterday was deadlifts: 300x13

I'll post my updated weight, bf, and waist measurement tomorrow. This will also complete the two week evaluation.

I'll probably make some small modifications and continue the diet for another 6 weeks. However I'm going to end the log due to lack of interest.

5. End of 2 Week Evaluation:

Start:
    Weight: 176.4 lbs
    BF: 11.5%
    Waist: 31.75"
    Bench Press: 240x8
    Squat: 205x22 (recently reset)
    Shoulder Press: 150x4
    Deadlift: 310x10

End:
    Weight: 178.6 lbs (+1.0lbs from last week, +2.1lbs from start)
    BF: 11.8% (+0.1% from last week, +0.3% from start)
    Waist: 32.00" (+0.25" from last week, +0.25" from start)
    Bench Press: 245x6
    Squat: 220x17
    Shoulder Press: 145x4
    Deadlift: 300x13

I gained 1.4lbs lean mass and 0.8lbs fat. Again, the accuracy of my BF reading is somewhat questionable. But overall I think this is fairly accurate given the 0.25" increase in my waist. This equates to a weight increase ratio of 65% LBM to 35% fat.

For me this is just about in line with what I would expect from any mass gaining diet. I was not able, at least in this two week experiment, to achieve the author's "holy grail" claim of lean mass without fat gain. However, even in writing this I'm hesitant to draw too many conclusions because I've only given the diet two weeks and many dietary changes take a few weeks to show optimum results.

Strength does not appear to have increase by a meaningful amount. On the other hand, my energy level for my workouts feel good. As with the body composition, it is difficult to draw too many conclusion after 2 weeks.

On a positive note, the amount and types of foods that I'm eating on this diet is out of the ordinary for me as well as most people on a typical bb style diet. So this in itself provides a fun change of pace without any detrimental consequences.

I've decide to continue for at least a couple of more weeks. I'm ending the log today, but may provide one more update at the end of my second 2 week run if there is something of interest to report.

6. Please let us know how the next two weeks go. I'm following!
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.

7. Quote Originally Posted by rambofireball
    Please let us know how the next two weeks go. I'm following!
    No problem. I'll post tomorrow's weigh-in results and follow up with a "final review" next Monday.

8. Quote Originally Posted by jerrysiii View Post
    No problem. I'll post tomorrow's weigh-in results and follow up with a "final review" next Monday.
    Awesome, much appreciated.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.

9. Week 3:

Weight: 179.3 lbs (+0.7lbs from last week, +2.8lbs from start)
    BF: 11.8% (+0.0% from last week, +0.3% from start)
    Waist: 32.00" (+0.00" from last week, +0.25" from start)

It was a good week. Weight is up 0.7lbs without any noticeable fat gain. There were a couple of changes:

First, I cut back on the carb back-load meals slightly by removing one cup of cereal from the post workout and reducing the potatoes at dinner to 8 oz.

I also switched to a four day training schedule. By doing this I now have three ultra-low carb days and four back-load days.

Note: Last week included Thanksgiving which ended up becoming a "mega" back-load day. I still followed the diet by being ultra-low carb in the morning. I trained around 2pm and did not eat carbs until dinner which was around 5:30pm. The rest of the night included two full plates of Thanksgiving dinner and two rounds of deserts.

10. Quote Originally Posted by jerrysiii View Post
    So I learned last night that every low-carb meal is supposed to 1:1 protein to fat grams. I reformulated both training and non-training menus (the non-training had to be completely rewritten). Basically the low-carb periods are true keotogenic high fat.

Training days: 1:1 grams pro/fat for each low-carb meal. 1:1 calories pro/fat for the daily total. Carbs are at 2.4x target body weight. 3,865 kcal 47% cho / 26% pro / 28% fat

Non-training: 1:1 grams pro/fat for each low-carb meal. 2,918 kcal 7% cho / 30% pro / 63% fat

I'll post the menus if anyone is interested.

---

Tonight's workout was shoulder press. I'm a little sore from yesterday's back work. However, it was still a strong workout: 140x6

Overall, I feel good. Plenty of energy and surprisingly not hungry during the low-carb part of the day. Still mentally adjusting to diet. I'm used to very high protein with low to moderate carbs and fat. Eating several teaspoons of coconut oil per day (12 tsp today) seems very strange. Of course pounding tons of high glycemic carbs at night also seems strange.

On low carb meals you are supposed to be 1:1 fat grams to protein grams? or is it 1:1 fat calories to protein calories?
    PREMIUM NUTRACEUTICALS (PNI) REP/ATHLETE
    BROSER BUILT REP/ATHLETE
    LET ME HELP YOU BY SETTING UP A DIET/TRAINING PROGRAM TO REACH YOUR GOALS! INBOX ME
    •   

11. Quote Originally Posted by hossjob

On low carb meals you are supposed to be 1:1 fat grams to protein grams? or is it 1:1 fat calories to protein calories?
    It's 1:1 grams. If you are really looking to cut you can go as low as 0.5:1 fat grams to protein.

Sorry, I haven't updated here lately. If anyone is interested in more timely updates check out my log at dangerouslyhardcore (it's linked a few posts back).

Edit: Well I thought the link was there. Anyway, here it is: http://dangerouslyhardcore.com/forum...p?topic=6147.0

Similar Forum Threads

1. All you low-carb experts...please GTFIH
    By F355 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
  2. Please review my Diet/Supp Regiment for Natural Show
    By Selfbeneath in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 06:42 PM
  3. can u review this diet??
    By keater824 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5