Leptin Deficiency and Diabetes in Bodybuilding?

NeighbourMike

NeighbourMike

Awards
Hi All,

First post but something I found startling and deeply interesting in my Nutrition book, hopefully you will find it equally as interesting.

Dr Timothy Kieffer, Professor in the Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences and the Department of Surgery at the University of British Columbia: Leptin and Type 2 Diabetes.

He asked this question:

"Approximately 80% of those with diabetes are obese. However, when it comes to risk of diabetes, too little fat can be as bad as too much-why?"

Some quick background info on Leptin and it's chemical deriviative.

Leptin (Greek λεπτός (leptos) meaning thin) is a 16-kDa protein hormone that plays a key role in regulating energy intake and energy expenditure, including appetite/hunger and metabolism. Human leptin is a protein of 167 amino acids. It is manufactured primarily in the adipocytes of white adipose tissue, and the level of circulating leptin is proportional to the total amount of fat in the body.

I found this particularly interesting when considering the level of fat many elite/pro athletes and bodybuilders, particularly the moment when they are their most extreme low bf %'s on stage and preparing for comps. Especially when cutting. I've never considering the possibility before of eating TOO healthy may cause diabetes, as my diet macro is something like 55% CHO, 35% P, 15-20% F. I get my fats from Udo's 3 6 and 9 and flax, and protein from lean chicken and protein powder. Currently CHO is mostly consisting of complex; 80% vegetables, 20% grain (oatmeal), and almost none, if any simple CHO.

Myself personally am training for competition, and just purchased off this site Recompadrol and Adipose Annihilation V2.

Love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Leptin is very tricky

Too much may cause resistance. Too little, thyroid issues.

But it is not so cut and dry a lot goes into those statements as high triglycerides creates a barricade for leptin to cross the bbb to cause specific effects

Low leptin from extreme dieting causes metabolic issues and takes a while to restore

Those product will help reduce leptin resistance caused by a diet high in carbohydrates

NeighbourMike

NeighbourMike

Awards
Thanks, I'm very interested in learning more about leptin, and in particular glucagon the opposite of insulin, in regulating fat levels. Still got a lot of research and learning to do seems like :)

My diet consists of a carb cycle i've been doing for about 6 weeks now, 3 days low, 1 day high repeat. I'm getting excellent results so far in my lower abdominals and legs/back development. Interestingly enough I'm getting stronger, as well as leaner now, rather than when I was eating excessively more food. Must be something I read about the less fat you have, the better muscle recruitment pathways and individual fiber activation and thus strength per pound of LBM overall.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your manipulating leptin levels

You can do that daily as well with that same carb cycle mentality. It's quite easy and fun because you get to eat