Weigh food cooked or uncooked?

python93

python93

Awards
So I just bought me a scale so that I can weight my chicken breasts and ground beef.
Only thing is I don't know if I should weight my food cooked or uncooked?
Also about 4 oz of ground beef is generally 20 g of protein.... is this cooked or uncooked?
And are chicken breasts the same as the ground beef in the fact that 4 oz equals around 20 g of protein as well?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Go by what the label says. Usually they say cooked/uncooked. If not, my gut instinct is to go with cooked weight. I love my food scale.

-OS-Team App Nut

python93

python93

Awards
Only problem is that my meat doesn't have a food label

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends on where you are getting your nutritional info from. If you use a internet food log like fit day or something similar it should specify raw or cooked

python93

python93

Awards
Well all my food has labels except the meat lol
I dont use a nutritional log online

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
If its on the meat package itself, it would be a safe bet that it's uncooked. Kind of like the hamburgers im grilling right now. They may have 20g of fat, but when i grill them for 20 minutes, its gonna melt/burn off a lot of it. The protein should stay relatively the same.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
the labels usually refer to uncooked. take rice for example. one cup of uncooked turns into like 6 cups cooked

python93

python93

Awards
If its on the meat package itself, it would be a safe bet that it's uncooked. Kind of like the hamburgers im grilling right now. They may have 20g of fat, but when i grill them for 20 minutes, its gonna melt/burn off a lot of it. The protein should stay relatively the same.
But it won't melt off any protein right? lol

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
The butcher shop weighs it raw so their weights are raw, you lose fat and water weight during cooking

python93

python93

Awards
I'm just gonna go with " 6 g of protein / oz of raw meat"

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
Meats would typically be measured raw. However, consistency is really what is important. In other words, if you measure cooked, always measure cooked. The first couple weeks are the only ones that matter in terms of diet design. From there you make relative changes so it really doesn't matter how you measure as long as you are consistent.

python93

python93

Awards
Meats would typically be measured raw. However, consistency is really what is important. In other words, if you measure cooked, always measure cooked. The first couple weeks are the only ones that matter in terms of diet design. From there you make relative changes so it really doesn't matter how you measure as long as you are consistent.
Yeah I usually measure raw. The thing is how many grams of protein/oz of raw chicken are in there?

arminius_josh

Awards
Cooked or Uncooked - there is an App for that

To measure carbs and protein with or without a scale, try out the free mobile app I created (I'm a competitive bodybuilder) now on iTunes or Google Play which converts both Carbs and Protein for "cooked" and "uncooked" to make your life easier. Also, I included Cups (in addition to oz, grams, lbs). Search for Bodybuilding Food Calculator in the App stores or google it.

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
To measure carbs and protein with or without a scale, try out the free mobile app I created (I'm a competitive bodybuilder) now on iTunes or Google Play which converts both Carbs and Protein for "cooked" and "uncooked" to make your life easier. Also, I included Cups (in addition to oz, grams, lbs). Search for Bodybuilding Food Calculator in the App stores or google it.
Cool. I'll check it out.